Update?

G-Man

If you sign in to site you are greeted by years old articles , perhaps delete or pin a new one to beginning.. this looks so amateurish, dated ,irrelevant..  can't grow the site if it looks dead and or dying....

I don't think I am alone in seeing this .. perhaps start a poll..   something needs to be done imo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mowin said:

I'm not seeing the old threads..

The adds, yep, unfortunately I'm seeing those. 

You have to sign out and then back in ,if your stay signed in you have to tab all the way back to home page and you will see the old pasted posts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NonTypical said:

Try using DuckDuckGo as a browser. I don’t see any ads on this site or others that I frequent. If I use any other browser, I see ads on just about every site that I visit. 

Just added DuckDuckGo as an extension to Chrome browser.  No ads and every page I visit loads WAY faster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GreeneHunter said:

I use a Laptop to access this website and I also use Crap Cleaner to clean up my computer and I never see any old AD's or Forum's .... just sayin !

The matter is a new person sees this old crap.. it should be updated to grow site... your already here so doenst matter.. but can't grow this way

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, G-Man said:

The matter is a new person sees this old crap.. it should be updated to grow site... your already here so doenst matter.. but can't grow this way

This is so true when i do searches and go on new sites i always check to see when the last post or info i'm looking for was posted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Web forums are slowly fading out whether people want to see it for what it is or not. Even older people are using Facebook more and joining private hunting groups over there, Instagram is gaining ground due to the ability to have your own personal space and allowing users to decide what comments and replies are made to their posts, even blogs are making something of a comeback.

Hell, even YouTube is having a hand in making web forums on a decline.

New people don't want to come to ancient forum software where they can't post videos and/or make money. It's all about sponsors, endorsements, and making money fast.

It has nothing to do with being "jumped on". If one wants to discuss the reasons some people will move past a forum like this it's all the non-hunting related BS and the open down right nasty arguing about politics that will make anyone with any common sense move on by. Lets not kid ourselves here! The tag line is "New York's #1 Hunting and Fishing Site", which is sort of a joke really. When people go to a hunting and fishing site they want to see those topics, not 300 pages of people Bi%$#&*% about vaccines, they don't want to read political discussions and arguing, watch music videos, read about MMA pay per views, read about the damn stock market, doom and gloom prepping, or what color toothbrush people just bought. They want to read about hunting, fishing camping, and the outdoors.

These message board forums cost money to operate and maintain, costs revolve around the amount of use and content which utilize server bandwidth. The traffic does not have to be from just members, an open board like this one has many non members reading it's content, in fact there are many more visitors checking out content than members all of which incurs cost. Popup ads are a source of revenue to fund a message board and I can tell you a board with traffic and amount of content stored like this one has costs pretty good money. They can be annoying for sure but they keep the board funded and online.

Al

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, airedale said:

These message board forums cost money to operate and maintain, costs revolve around the amount of use and content which utilize server bandwidth. The traffic does not have to be from just members, an open board like this one has many non members reading it's content, in fact there are many more visitors checking out content than members all of which incurs cost. Popup ads are a source of revenue to fund a message board and I can tell you a board with traffic and amount of content stored like this one has costs pretty good money. They can be annoying for sure but they keep the board funded and online.

Al

Have you ever paid to own and run a website? I have a few times and I can tell you, you are wrong in this assessment. I can also tell you that hosting isn't as expensive as some people think it is anymore.

Web hosting plans cost the same if you have 1 visitor or 50 million. Example if you are using a shared hosting plan that costs $150 a year, the price doesn't go up based on traffic, it stays $150 a year. For that fee most hosting pans offer unlimited data storage ( the images, software storage etc. ) and bandwidth ( space used by visitors ). Dedicated server/IP plans will run a little more, but you still don't pay per visit. I'm pretty sure this site uses NameCheap ( or it was at one point ) for hosting and then the added fees for using Invision forum software, which I'm pretty sure is a one time fee to buy the software and then certain upgrades might be additional fees. Most plugins for software are free, and those that aren't don't cost bucket loads of money. Domain registration is a one time fee when you start out and is usually only like $15-20. I'd guess the pay out for this forum is around $250 a year, probably less. A fast lookup shows the forum makes about $1.25 per day from the ads.

Newer hosting plans that run off SSD servers tend to run a little higher, and some hosts have different prices for the amount of space you want/need.

If you can and run off your own in house servers the initial output for the equipment is steep, but in the end it's actually cheaper.

6 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Have you ever paid to own and run a website? I have a few times and I can tell you, you are wrong in this assessment. I can also tell you that hosting isn't as expensive as some people think it is anymore.

Actually I have run several, the one listed below is a small private board that has been up now for almost 20 years, I pay for everything. The costs charged are are based on exactly what I posted above.

Al

2021-09-28_082949.png