Tractor Options

Five Seasons

Long story short, my 24hp 48" husqvarna rider that is a little overkill for my suburban 3/4 acre yard is about 13 years old and a weld just gave way on the deck. It leaks oil and really just isn't worth replacing or fixing the deck. I bought it used and got my money out of it.

I just leased a property that has a neglected orchard that could use some love. Is there any tractor out there that could be overkill for my lawn, but get the job done and also get some basic farm work, knowing I can't do major or even moderate projects. Thinking mowing high grass, hauling a cart, maybe some stump pulling at the worst. 

TIA

John Deere X7 series. That said, it’s way more than you need for your house and less than you need for long orchard grass. I’d suggest a normal subdivision lawn mower and a pull behind deal (maybe you already have an atv) for the thicker stuff. Heck, you’d probably be better off hiring out the orchard grass stuff. Everybody and their brother has a subcompact tractor these days with a little brush hog. In my opinion if you want to do both well, but a nice zero turn for your grass and a compact (not subcompact) tractor with implements for the land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will not find one machine to do both of those jobs.  My advise would be spend about  $ 5k on a new 42” cut zero turn, which will knock off your 3/4 acre lawn in 25 minutes, without damaging the turf.

Get yourself a used Ford 2000 or 3000 or something similar, with ag tires and a 5 ft bush hog for the orchard.  You should be able to locate one in decent shape for less than $4k and they are very easy to find parts for and/or repair.

• Like 2

Two separate properties, two separate jobs to do. The best option would be two separate machines to do each job well. A new zero turn for home. A used compact tractor for the lease. There are always good deals out there for used stuff in good shape. You will be so much happier with the results. Trust me!!

15 hours ago, mowin said:

Your basically looking for a large frame garden tractor. 

I think a sub compact tractor might be more than what your looking for. 

What kind of budget? 

I'd pay what I need to pay if it was worth it.

15 hours ago, onlybrowning said:

John Deere X7 series. That said, it’s way more than you need for your house and less than you need for long orchard grass. I’d suggest a normal subdivision lawn mower and a pull behind deal (maybe you already have an atv) for the thicker stuff. Heck, you’d probably be better off hiring out the orchard grass stuff. Everybody and their brother has a subcompact tractor these days with a little brush hog. In my opinion if you want to do both well, but a nice zero turn for your grass and a compact (not subcompact) tractor with implements for the land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An ATV is probably in the future, so a pull behind for that might be a good idea, I agree. 

15 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Geared or hydro?

I guess it doesn't matter, but my current lawn is a hydro. Much easier to wiz about. 

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Two separate properties, two separate jobs to do. The best option would be two separate machines to do each job well. A new zero turn for home. A used compact tractor for the lease. There are always good deals out there for used stuff in good shape. You will be so much happier with the results. Trust me!!

I think you're all probably right here. But felt it was bask to ask in case there was some wonder machine that met somewhere in the middle. 

A good quality compact tractor with a diesel motor and a quick attach loader is my choice, a good tractor with proper maintenance will last you almost your entire life and the amount of different jobs they can do will amaze you.

Don't be afraid of buying good low hour used like the one below on Craigslist right now.

Al

2021-09-28_113824.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chads said:

No Sub Compact will pull or dig stumps. Not enough weight, or Hydraulic power.

You can wrestle with it, but it just beats you equipment up.

True, but the other options suggested won't pull stumps either. 

I'm thinking a SC MIGHT be the only one machine option for both jobs. But agree two different machines for two completely different duties is probably the way to go. 

I bought a JD garden tractor X500 series 10yrs ago. I have made food plots with it, used it as a brush hog and a few weekends ago cut grass that was 3-4ft tall. Thing has been indestructible. And mowed my lawn, over 3 acres with it. Did it all

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

what size quad for towing and doing some basic work? Is a 400 too small?

It's the smallest I'd go. A 600 would be a good size. I don't see the need for the high displacement ATV's unless you plan on doing a lot of trail riding. 

8 minutes ago, mowin said:

It's the smallest I'd go. A 600 would be a good size. I don't see the need for the high displacement ATV's unless you plan on doing a lot of trail riding. 

no real trail riding. At most I'd haul deer and maybe pull a mower or small trailer full of wood. My dad has a honda rancher 400 that does all the hunting stuff just fine, but he's never done any food plot or farm type work with it.

Edited by Belo

9 minutes ago, Belo said:

no real trail riding. At most I'd haul deer and maybe pull a mower or small trailer full of wood. My dad has a honda rancher 400 that does all the hunting stuff just fine, but he's never done any food plot or farm type work with it.

Most ATV's will loose traction, before running out of power. If the area isn't too hilly, you shouldn't have to much of a issue with a 400-600cc ATV. 

I Pull a 4' drag, 25gal tow behind sprayer and a 80 lb seeder with my 570. Have a large wood wagon that it's handled well.  I believe the Polaris sportsman 450 and the 570 are the same machine size wise, just the motors are different. 

Not sure if other manufacturers are the same though.

• Thanks 1