Black Powder Guys

Steve D

Oh Great ! Another freakin mess in the making .  Cartridge and shotgun ammo shortage is bad enough . Now its muzzle loader powder . Since Hodgdon owns Pyrodex , Triple 777  BH209 and GOEX brands plus a few others , whos left making Black powder substitute ?  

Its going to be buy all the guns you want . You just wont have anything to shoot out of them ! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SportsmanNH said:

Oh Great ! Another freakin mess in the making .  Cartridge and shotgun ammo shortage is bad enough . Now its muzzle loader powder . Since Hodgdon owns Pyrodex , Triple 777  BH209 and GOEX brands plus a few others , whos left making Black powder substitute ?  

Its going to be buy all the guns you want . You just wont have anything to shoot out of them ! 

Not that I think this is good news by any means, but the PR only states GOEX and Old Eynsford, not the black powder substitutes. I could be wrong in my reading, but that's what I took from it.

I wonder if they just see the trend being away from true black powder, and more leaning towards substitutes. If I'm not mistaken, Muzzleloading is really popular right now, but more going for in-line/modern guns vs traditional, which are the shooters who would be more interested in the true black powder. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Splitear said:

Not that I think this is good news by any means, but the PR only states GOEX and Old Eynsford, not the black powder substitutes. I could be wrong in my reading, but that's what I took from it.

I wonder if they just see the trend being away from true black powder, and more leaning towards substitutes. If I'm not mistaken, Muzzleloading is really popular right now, but more going for in-line/modern guns vs traditional, which are the shooters who would be more interested in the true black powder. 

I stand corrected Split ! After reading it again , I believe you are correct. Its only those 2 brands . 

• Like 1

I read about this last night. They will continue to make Triple 7 and BH209. There have been some "incidents" at the factory they are closing, or so a few articles state.

At first I thought "Well that's just fn great! I just got into muzzle loading!". Then I did some looking/reading before I had conniptions. Knee jerk reactions are rumors get started.

GOEX black powder is manufactured in its own facility.  They have had a number of accidents at the facility, most recently just this spring. My guess is the bean counters dont like the liability of the facility. I went back fully to BP this year after years of frustration with substitutes.  It is so much more reliable, easier ignition, and really, simple to clean up from. And you can not use substitutes with flintlocks.

22 hours ago, Daveboone said:

GOEX black powder is manufactured in its own facility.  They have had a number of accidents at the facility, most recently just this spring. My guess is the bean counters dont like the liability of the facility. I went back fully to BP this year after years of frustration with substitutes.  It is so much more reliable, easier ignition, and really, simple to clean up from. And you can not use substitutes with flintlocks.

Bingo , I’ve found six explosions / fires there in the last 20 years or so the last one being in this past June . 

wonderful benefits , 

The trick is not to get killed , that’s really the key to the benefits program .

Edited by Nomad