Pull behind quad brush cutter

My fields will need another brush cut in spring. Raspberry and brush rebounding with a vengeance. Farmer who did it wont do it again. Guess he repaired 3 tire holes first time so now that the 8 ft tall stuff is gone I figure a pull behind swisher or similar would work...but the price of new doesnt work. Is it wise to look for and buy used or are they usually beat to death by then. How well does the deck bearings blades hold up

How many acres are you cutting? I rent a walk-behind brushcutter (usually a billy-goat, but I've used DR's and craftsman also). usually you  get 24" width with the overlap. At 3 mile/hour I think it takes 4 hours to cut a acres worth. I usually use it for rough pasture, shooting lanes and trails.  Hint: if you are doing more than a acre, you also need a couple of buddies and vast quantities of cool, frothy malt beverage. Costs me $80 with me picking it up.

I also have a 2 acre piece done, and I hire a brushhog guy to do it. would be cheaper to do it with the walk behind, but I am old and lazy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SWEDE said:

My fields will need another brush cut in spring. Raspberry and brush rebounding with a vengeance. Farmer who did it wont do it again. Guess he repaired 3 tire holes first time so now that the 8 ft tall stuff is gone I figure a pull behind swisher or similar would work...but the price of new doesnt work. Is it wise to look for and buy used or are they usually beat to death by then. How well does the deck bearings blades hold up

we looked for two years to try and find a decent used one.  Guy at a local mower repair place says he has never had one be turned in or traded in. We also couldnt find anywhere to rent one.  So we bought a swisher this year and it kicked ass.  Where we use it is all defined trails but the weeds get high quick.  

Best price I found was on mowers direct site

IMG_20210901_172929539.jpg

58943.jpeg

58923.jpeg

Edited by Robhuntandfish

29 minutes ago, SWEDE said:

Seriously jealous rob. Nice machine. Is that considered a brush or finish mower

its a rough cut. Cuts up to 3" saplings.  https://www.mowersdirect.com/Swisher-RC14544BS/p9869.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw-sqKBhBjEiwAVaQ9a-v5_u8ORf7WgffFUnC9ZwzP3nArLWx5voqbu47eZzxxYcZul8gnZhoCGXIQAvD_BwE

Edited by Robhuntandfish

I also have a tow behind swisher rough cut.  It does a great job!!! I usually cut my 3 acre field in a little over an hour and makes light work of cleared trails.   Definitely worth the investment if you have more than an acre to take care of.  On a side note, there is no way that it will cut 3 inch saplings.  It struggles and bogs down if I try to cut corn down at the end of the season.  Also, trails and fields need to be cleared of any rocks that could hit the blade.  I have owned mine for close to ten years and have just changed the blade and belt. They are very durable!! 

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

we looked for two years to try and find a decent used one.  Guy at a local mower repair place says he has never had one be turned in or traded in. We also couldnt find anywhere to rent one.  So we bought a swisher this year and it kicked ass.  Where we use it is all defined trails but the weeds get high quick.  

Best price I found was on mowers direct site

IMG_20210901_172929539.jpg

58943.jpeg

58923.jpeg

That looks like a well built unit. 

Are the hubs greasable or sealed?

11 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

What is a greasable bearing?  :rofl:  We call those sealed bearings "forever" bearings because that's what the engineers must think.  It blows my mind.  

My Toro mowers have greasable hubs.  The newer Toro models however do not. They claim they have cut the warranty claims in half for bearing failures.  If a hub fails, they replace it with a greasable. Go figure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pav2704 said:

I also have a tow behind swisher rough cut.  It does a great job!!! I usually cut my 3 acre field in a little over an hour and makes light work of cleared trails.   Definitely worth the investment if you have more than an acre to take care of.  On a side note, there is no way that it will cut 3 inch saplings.  It struggles and bogs down if I try to cut corn down at the end of the season.  Also, trails and fields need to be cleared of any rocks that could hit the blade.  I have owned mine for close to ten years and have just changed the blade and belt. They are very durable!! 

We are lucky with rocks here. Can't find a pebble around our hunting spot. Swampy and flat as a pancake. 

We've gone over some good sized saplings but def wouldn't try a large group of them. But my buddy cut all our trails on 120 acres in about 3 hours.  Perfect machine for us and hopefully we get 10+ years out of ours. 

• Like 1