Having the strangest early season

RangerClay

The will be my 21st year hunting deer on my property.  About the last 10 I have started using trail cameras (which I only check once a week).  I've come to really understand the deer movement on my property.  My land is a transition area.  Early morning they pass by me coming from feeding in the fields all night then stop by my food plot on the way to their bedding area (off my property).  Evenings they stage up at my food plot before heading to the fields to feed all night.  I normally get a couple daylight hours in the morning and evening where I can see/shoot deer, or they show up on camera.  But not this year.  98% of my pictures are at night.  Almost zero pictures in the daylight.  ALL of my buck pictures are in the middle of the night.  I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what has suddenly made them so nocturnal.  Have any of you ever had something like this happen to you?  I'm trying to figure out what to change.

Two suggestions to prevent this from happening in future years:

1) Make some thick, sanctuary areas on your land and stay out of them at all times, except possibly for some late winter hinge cutting.  This will encourage deer to bed on and spend more time on your land.

2) Put in some wheat/soybean/white clover mix plots around September 1.  I can’t think of anything more likely to draw deer away from apples and acorns than fresh sprouted soybeans.   The only way you can get that in early October, is to plant them in early September.

If I was in that situation this year, I would find someplace else to hunt until November 1st or so.   Let the deer start to feel safe on your ground, with no traces of human scent around (don’t even pull camera cards).  Hit them by surprise, just as the peak rut begins.

That is my plan for my own back 40 even though I have seen a buck or two in the daylight, nearly every time that I have been back there, over the last 3 weeks.  I have some good sanctuary areas, but no soybeans this year.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

22 years , and your woods have grown become more open... happens a lot I hear it all the time I've hunted the same spot for 20 years!!  Woods mature brush dies off.. patterns change..

Drops some trees, hinge cut.  A sanctuary is 100x more important than a food plot.  If the deer bed on your property and feed on your neighbors they will be on your 80% of the time.

You have a few small plots that are staging areas so those will help keep them on yours in daylight.. deer move at dark when they don't feel safe.. 

Dropped over 700 trees on my place last winter to just thicken up the wood to make deer bed on it vs just passing thru.  Wasn't a week and the local herd moved in...