Why Do You Hunt???

Doc

We have discussed why we are hunters a long time ago. But now we have many new members, so I thought it would be interesting to sample attitudes among hunters again. So the question is simple. Why do you enjoy hunting? What are the elements of hunting that push your buttons?

For me there are 2 sides of hunting . I love getting together with lifelong friends for a couple week hunting trip. As well as the occasional weekend. I also love the solitude and challenge of hunting.

I guess pretty much most aspects of it pushes my buttons in a good way..

• Like 1

Therapy if you can't find a little bit of peace when sitting and watching the woods wake up I feel sorry for that person and for the people that are never able too. 

The distance sounds of an owl, geese flying over head rodents rustling through the leaves staying hidden from predators.  To hear the foot steps of the game your after to have pure adrenaline coursing through your veins. 

To hear stories at gatherings throughout the year with family and friends. People busting each other's chops and that big smile on someone's face who just harvested an animal.

That's why I hunt the harvest is a small part of it in my opinion.   

When I am in the woods or on a lake or a stream, it is the only time I feel really FREE , from life's problems, day to day responsibilities,  and other  obligations...Even if if is for only a few hours....

For many years, I hunted spring gobblers  in both PA and NY before work in the morning...EVERY day...This entailed going to bed around 8:00 PM  and then getting up well before  daylight, driving to my hunting spots  and being on top of a ridge when  daylight broke...

I remember many times leaning against  a tree, half a mile from the road, listening to the woods wake up, and thinking   " Imagine those poor bastards who are lying in bed MISSING all of this".......

• Like 8

Since I was a toddler, I pestered dad to take me hunting. Funny thing was, his family never was much into it. From an early age I loved being in the woods....the smells, the sounds, the peace. It has only grown. Every year I look forward to the season even more. I love venison, I love putting my skills/marksmanship to its purpose. I love the calming setting of sitting in the woods with no stress or distraction, with good friends company when possible. 

Absolutely nothing better than sitting in my Ladder Stand and watching the woods come alive , If I score Fine If not Fine ... just being out there is enough for me ! I meet up with a Buddy ( from the Military ) on my property whom I only see 2-3 days per year and then we go get Breakfast and catch up on the past year !  And time out there with my Son is irreplaceable  !

Edited by GreeneHunter

well lots of reasons but since i got my own land and camp in 2016 its more about that then hunting dont get me wrong wouldnt have the camp or land if it wasnt for hunting, but just great to get to camp with the guys and lots of hunting buts lots of hanging out too.....

I think I hunt because it not only gives me a connection to nature, but a real connection to who I am and where I come from. 
I could say that it provides a cheaper source of protein or whatnot, but when it comes down to it, I could get by just fine without wild game. 
However, I grew up hunting and fishing with some of the most influential men I have ever met. By being in the woods and using the skills they taught me, I feel like I’m honoring their legacy and in some way, it lets me know that they are still here with me. For me hunting and fishing is a challenge, an escape, and a connection to those who helped me become the man that I am. 

• Like 1