Zeek chasing fur 2021-2022

Well we did 5 sets, started at 10pm and i somehow ended up in bed at 5am:dontknow:

Anyhoo, first set was silent but a new field to try out. 2nd set is at a field that has not disappointed in the previous 4 hunts. Called for maybe 7mins and got responses across the street. We decided to move there as the wind was not good if they came from there. Got setup and started calling again, 2 min in i spotted a yote pop out of some corn. He quickly made his way into us, i took my shot when he stopped, staring towards the call. He didnt drop...he ran and bounded out infront of us, i was taking shots as he was going, so was my partner. My gun ran dry and in went the 2nd mag, bang, bang, bag thwack!. Finally we heard the hit and he started spinning. I dont like to fill them with holes but ive also seen them take off multiple times after doin the spins. So 2 last shots in the mag went off and he still was trotting away and then gone...we were standing in shin high crops of some kind, i was 99% sure he dropped and we couldn't see him anymore. After about 20min of searching i found him, 1 hole in his hind leg, took out the femoral... well...thats not good, the night just started and im not sure my scope is on target.

We drag that yote back to the truck and go to stop #3, which ends up being silent. Stop 4 is close to home and has produced before. Called for 25 min with no takers, we pack up and start ti walk out and then they speak up lol. So we decide to set back up and give it a try. Called 1 in, unfortunately he used a hedgerow to get past us and popped out directly behind us. No shot as the road was behind him. Last stop never disappoints, good setup and always atleast get talked back too. Unfortunately thats all we got, had a group going but they stayed on the other side of the road, and wind was bad to try and move on them. 

So that was it, 1 yote and a long night but happy to be back out under the moon. 

• Like 3

I just enlisted a local predator hunter that has a lot of success to help check a couple of coyote that have showed up harassing deer in my soybean field.. big suckers.. 1st time in  years I've been getting pics of yote consistently.   Usually only got 3 or 4 a year on cam .. these are chasing deer every night  3 of them look shepherd size.. hope he can get them this week.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Went out last night with my son for his first night out yote hunting. Nothing at stops 1 and 2. 3rd set i was asked to come to because the women watched a yote take one of her chickens a few nights earlier. Setup behind thier house and started calling. After the first call ended we had a pair sound off to our right and a group out infront. To say my son was pumped is a understatement. I had the dogs going for probably 10mins before the 1st one showed. The setup was perfect and the yote was coming straight in to us. Just before my son was ready to shoot i told him to hold off, 2 more yotes entered the field and were following the same path as the first. Thats when it got messy, the 1st yote decided it had stayed long enogh and wanted to leave, i got on one and my son said he was following the other. I shot 1st and the 2 yotes take off, for the 2nd time this seaon i had to swap mags, 1st shot of the 2nd mag dropped a yote. As a side note i had just resighted in my rifle with new thermal on it. The last hunt took 10 shots and dropped 1, it ended up 6" low...not sure why but resighted in and was good. 

After 6 shots to get this dog maybe not good? My son shot twice both misses but loved the action.

So sometime this week ill be punching paper again with the thermal. Yote ended up being a mangy pup the homeowner has seen around her home.

20211016_230654.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Well didnt have to go far for this big male. Let my dog out and scanned my field, saw this guy cutting across it. Grabbed my .204, and rabbit distress hand call and snuck my way towards my field. He was walking the edge of our field near a neighbors backyard whos lab was barking his head off at this yote. Gave some tasty sounding rabbit squeals and he started to head down wind of me, one more squeal and he stopped broadside. Good hit, he did his death spins then started running, he made it to the bank of our new pond and ofcourse rolled down the bank into the water... fished him out, soaking wet he weighed 54lbs, so guessing close to 50 dry which would make him my biggest yote. 

20211105_213540.jpg

• Like 19

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 7:34 PM, Shoots100 said:

Great Job.

Are you having issues with the new thermal scope holding zero ?

The 204's recoil shouldn't be an issue.

The thermal is on a 224 valkyrie, i know its not a recoil issue, not sure what it is. I have to shoot it again and see if the zero moved.

My son got his first yote last night. I let the dogs out and scanned the field, this guy was chowing down on a deer carcass i have staked down. We made our move back and the yote moved out to around 200 yards. I barked to stop him and my son made a good shot, the yote ran about 100 yards and piled up. 49lb old male.

20211202_195309.jpg

20211202_195453.jpg

20211202_201657.jpg

• Like 25

22 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

My son got his first yote last night. I let the dogs out and scanned the field, this guy was chowing down on a deer carcass i have staked down. We made our move back and the yote moved out to around 200 yards. I barked to stop him and my son made a good shot, the yote ran about 100 yards and piled up. 49lb old male.

20211202_195309.jpg

20211202_195453.jpg

20211202_201657.jpg

Atta boy!!!

• Like 1

20211202_195309.thumb.jpg.f7ef37c75cf93bac2532e79d3591771d.jpg
20211202_195453.thumb.jpg.922078e44357c0e9d1d35cb0caa891cf.jpg
20211202_201657.thumb.jpg.49da5bb417a5bf6daf233ac63116de25.jpg
AWESOME!!! Big Ole dog !! Nice shooting

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

20211202_195309.thumb.jpg.f7ef37c75cf93bac2532e79d3591771d.jpg
20211202_195453.thumb.jpg.922078e44357c0e9d1d35cb0caa891cf.jpg
20211202_201657.thumb.jpg.49da5bb417a5bf6daf233ac63116de25.jpg

Awesome pics!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Big tournament this weekend, wny predator slam. Went out last night from 630pm and got home at 5am. Started behind the house here, called a fox in but offered no shot close. He ended up goin away from us and at about 305-310 yards he stopped and i sent one. Feel i just missed under him. O btw i set up my thermal scope on my Tikka t3x tac a1 in 6.5 creedmoor. I dont want any runners this weekend. 2nd stop up towards medina, got 2 yotes to come to the edge of a woodlot at probably 350 yards but wouldnt step out for us. Next 2 stops nothing, then headed into clarence at my buddies parents house. Only rule, no fox. At the 7 min mark a fox came in and sat behind the call 60 yards from us...from there we went to a very productive field in akron. It did not disappoint. About 15 mins in i got two yotes to come out from a woodlot about 650 yards out. One made its way in to about 125 yards while the other stayed back from were they popped out. I wanted my buddy to shoot but he couldn't find it in his NV scope. So i dropped that one with a slight quartering too shot to the chest. They other yote never flinched. I put on a distress call and it slowly worked its way in. It was staying further out, again my buddy couldn't find it in his scope. It stopped and i put one through its chest at 293 yards. In the pick its the one with its heart laying outside its body. My first time doubling up! Two nice males too. Thank goodness for the snow it made dragging 2 yotes bearable. Next set i got a group sounding off but the wind was bad from where they were calling from so we moved. Got a different group talking there but no one wanted to show up. Last set was silence. Tonight we head down to Bliss, Chaffee and all the way to Arkwright. Should be a fun night, weather looks good. 

20220108_010102.jpg

20220108_011913.jpg

20220104_155224.jpg

• Like 11

Oooof, yesterday was a brutal day of hunting. Saw absolutely nothing all night. Only had 1 spot were i got yotes to respond and they were far away so we moved to a closer field but nothing. Wind was wipping and eventually rain was just freezing to us and all our gear. 

The weigh in was today and always a good time. Missed out on heaviest yote by 8oz. Mine was 43.18 lb. The raffles paid off and i won a in the box Factory refurbished FoxPro Xwave, which once i figure out a price will be for sale if anyone is interested. 

• Like 1

Oooof, yesterday was a brutal day of hunting. Saw absolutely nothing all night. Only had 1 spot were i got yotes to respond and they were far away so we moved to a closer field but nothing. Wind was wipping and eventually rain was just freezing to us and all our gear. 
The weigh in was today and always a good time. Missed out on heaviest yote by 8oz. Mine was 43.18 lb. The raffles paid off and i won a in the box Factory refurbished FoxPro Xwave, which once i figure out a price will be for sale if anyone is interested. 
Big dog ! Nice work.

If you come up with a price there might also be a Shockwave for sale...... to fund an Xwave...... lol

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WNYTRPR said:

Nice size yote .Funny how many times a year I see guys catching “50-60lb’ers”

Ive shot 1 this year that topped 50lbs, my son shot one that was 49lbs. Surprisingly both out of our field behind our house. 50lbers are not that uncommon, i havent seen any 60lbers killed personally. This tourney had 110 teams this year and i was shocked a 43lber won. I lost 2 years ago with a 48lber.