I was afraid that this is going to happen

Water Rat

Yesterday I found this little fawn wandering around my back yard. I thought it was strange not being able to spot the doe anywhere. So about an hour ago , I was walking around my vegetable garden when I noticed this little guy laying there covered in flies. He was still breathing but laboring. I would imagine he will be dead by nightfall. After finding sick deer on my trail cameras and now this , something bad is definitely going on around here.

• Sad 10

I sent your previous picks and the latest video to the Guy who runs the management program I hunt in 3S
His responses:

Yikes. Curious about what's going on there. EHD deer die too soon to look starved out like that

Fawn could definitely be EHD, the others though... man I dont know. Super glad he sent pics to the state. I was gonna ask if I could because that's concerning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I sent your previous picks and the latest video to the Guy who runs the management program I hunt in 3S
His responses:

Yikes. Curious about what's going on there. EHD deer die too soon to look starved out like that

Fawn could definitely be EHD, the others though... man I dont know. Super glad he sent pics to the state. I was gonna ask if I could because that's concerning

Sad but DEC will be in no hurry to get out there to sample some of the local herd if they can’t get either one of those 2 he had pic’s of. 

1 hour ago, Four Seasons said:

That looks more like an EHD sickness.  Bit and dead within days. Not long drawn out wasting away like CWD. 

Agreed. I saw the fawn trying to drink  from our birdbath yesterday but he couldn’t reach it. Last year I found 9 dead deer from EHD along the local creek where I hunt. But the 2 sick deer on my trail camera don’t look like EHD to me.

19 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Sad but DEC will be in no hurry to get out there to sample some of the local herd if they can’t get either one of those 2 he had pic’s of. 

I think you’re right but I might try to convince them to stop by. 

12 minutes ago, Water Rat said:

Sure …..no problem. Hope they stop by.

It seems like the state has invested quite a bit to control CWD withing NYS so I would think the DEC would want to investigate this.  The fawn picture sure presents differently than the your first two pictures.

50 minutes ago, Water Rat said:

I think you’re right but I might try to convince them to stop by. 

You should demand they take a few samples from that area. Be it killed by them or hunters heads turned in. That’s the problem with states.  You see they say it costs to much to test to many heads out of the wild…….Yet the kicker is….You Ready?   Deer farms have to turn in every dead deer head.. Mandatory!!!!……And the STATE pays for every test!!!!!   Hence the finding of CWD behind fence first because we are the only ones testing any animals. The DEC is not in the game to find CWD in the wild before it’s found on farms. A sick game that’s been played out for years now. You could even take your heads to them and tell them they were acting funny when you shot them and demand they be sent in for testing. 

53 minutes ago, jperch said:

It seems like the state has invested quite a bit to control CWD withing NYS so I would think the DEC would want to investigate this.  The fawn picture sure presents differently than the your first two pictures.

Not even close.  Research how many were tested last year out of the total deer take. And that’s not counting road kills and people calling in with sick deer reports.  

7 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Not even close.  Research how many were tested last year out of the total deer take. And that’s not counting road kills and people calling in with sick deer reports.  

There is more to their efforts than testing dead deer.  There has been an education program, new legislation and enforcement of such.  All of this requires resources, that is dollars.  Apparently their program has been somewhat successful.  You seem unhappy that dead captive deer have to be tested.  Sooner or later I imagine they will require testing of all captive deer for CWD.

That sucks hopefully they can find out what's going on with your local herd.  Seems like there is a couple things going on in your area someone needs to address.

Anyone else in your area seeing the same thing?  If there is it might be the best way to get them to look into it with multiple people blowing up there phones.

• Like 2

You should demand they take a few samples from that area. Be it killed by them or hunters heads turned in. That’s the problem with states.  You see they say it costs to much to test to many heads out of the wild…….Yet the kicker is….You Ready?   Deer farms have to turn in every dead deer head.. Mandatory!!!!……And the STATE pays for every test!!!!!   Hence the finding of CWD behind fence first because we are the only ones testing any animals. The DEC is not in the game to find CWD in the wild before it’s found on farms. A sick game that’s been played out for years now. You could even take your heads to them and tell them they were acting funny when you shot them and demand they be sent in for testing. 

What is their motivation to find it in deer farms and NOT find it in the wild?

8 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

My taxi puts all the heads out side in a box and the DEC  runs over and grabs them.

10 hours ago, jperch said:

There is more to their efforts than testing dead deer.  There has been an education program, new legislation and enforcement of such.  All of this requires resources, that is dollars.  Apparently their program has been somewhat successful.  You seem unhappy that dead captive deer have to be tested.  Sooner or later I imagine they will require testing of all captive deer for CWD.

Sooner or later?  I think I just told you above that all captive deer need to be tested already. And paid for by a state that says it’s to expensive to test more of their own?  Yeah that sounds like they are real worried about a disease. If they were that worried they would test all deer. Resources costing dollars?  By making the statement that hunters can’t bring deer in whole from other states???  Words cost cash?  Please do tell what else they have done?                 I see you failed to do the research on the numbers of deer tested looking for this disease that has done absolutely no harm to any herds in any state behind fence or in the wild?  Typical. 

9 hours ago, crappyice said:

What is their motivation to find it in deer farms and NOT find it in the wild?

Well that’s not to difficult of an answer. They shut down farms…Which accomplished nothing. While at the same time have no control of the same stuff in the wild?  CWD has been around for 60 plus years with no harm to any herds anywhere. Hell Wisconsin jumped off the handle years ago a killed every deer on site year around to try and stop something that is spontaneous in nature. And now that state is still loaded with CWD in about every county and have more deer now then before they killed them off.                                  CWD sucks to see but causes no harm to man or beast anywhere ever. EHD is a yearly disease that kills more deer in 1 year across the country than CWD has in the 50 plus years it’s been around. 

Well that’s not to difficult of an answer. They shut down farms…Which accomplished nothing. While at the same time have no control of the same stuff in the wild?  CWD has been around for 60 plus years with no harm to any herds anywhere. Hell Wisconsin jumped off the handle years ago a killed every deer on site year around to try and stop something that is spontaneous in nature. And now that state is still loaded with CWD in about every county and have more deer now then before they killed them off.                                  CWD sucks to see but causes no harm to man or beast anywhere ever. EHD is a yearly disease that kills more deer in 1 year across the country than CWD has in the 50 plus years it’s been around. 

I get that…but why? And I’m not poking at you here (save that for the “reason we hunt” thread!). Truly curious as to why the state cares to eradicate deer farms?
Seems like CWD was handled in Wis like Covid is being handled through the country. Boy do I love when govt makes decisions!