Updates for Regulations Governing Use of State WMAs

https://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/34113.html

No person shall discharge firearms unless legally engaged in the act of hunting or trapping (except that target shooting may occur in areas posted as open to such use). No person shall target shoot at objects other than paper targets with a safe and sufficient earthen or other suitable backstop. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rachunter said:

I never knew you where able to target shoot on state land?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a problem with it at an old shale pit in the Renslerville State Forest, people junking up the place shooting old TVs etc on state land.  Brass everywhere, garbage, you name it.

We have a problem with it at an old shale pit in the Renslerville State Forest, people junking up the place shooting old TVs etc on state land.  Brass everywhere, garbage, you name it.

I wouldn’t doubt it. I’d be all for the regulations to forbid it on any state owned land. It’s also a safety hazard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

For better or worse, target shooting at this forest and other state forests will continue to be allowed.

The new regulations apply only to

• All Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs)
  • Bog Brook Unique Area
  • Seward’s Island Unique Area
  • Junius Ponds Unique Area
  • Harwood Lake Multiple Use Area
  • Carlton Hill Multiple Use Area

It's been that way for a long time. Most state land didn't allow target shooting and those that did had specific rules, but a lot of people just didn't follow them. WMA's have never allowed target shooting that I remember, and you were never allowed open fires or camping on them.

3 hours ago, Steve D said:

Any .223's, 9MM, .380's or .22-250's??:D

I know places that has .223 and 9MM casings, they are piled up next to signs that say "No shooting past this point! You are within 500 feet of a house.". They're pretty rusty though. It's an WMA with no target shooting allowed.

• Sad 1