Erie county vetos youth hunting

mlammerhirt

I don't understand why the DEC left this youth hunt for 12 and 13 year olds along with the Holiday week hunt up to the counties to opt in or out of.  They have never done anything like this before with a major statewide hunting regulation change that I can remember.  This is a terrible precedent for hunting in NYS.  It will spell trouble for hunting in the counties that are close to big city areas.  The DEC should be making statewide hunting decisions and not the counties.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, steve863 said:

I don't understand why the DEC left this youth hunt for 12 and 13 year olds along with the Holiday week hunt up to the counties to opt in or out of.  They have never done anything like this before with a major statewide hunting regulation change that I can remember.  This is a terrible precedent for hunting in NYS.  It will spell trouble for hunting in the counties that are close to big city areas.  The DEC should be making statewide hunting decisions and not the counties.

Nothing gets fixed until the DEC isn't drive by legislator input. States that are not handcuffed by the legislators typically have better management of the resource and experience.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, rob-c said:

No need to be sarcastic , I was asking a honest question . My boys are grown so I have not paid attention to the youth hunt regs. If I were in this boat with my boys I would look at hunting outside of my county . 

Two days before the youth gun hunt, there isn't much you can do to drive a quality experience for new hunters. You simply cannot move a property to accommodate. That's not sarcasm, that's reality for how many hunting parents and mentors are feeling right now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, phade said:

Nothing gets fixed until the DEC isn't drive by legislator input. States that are not handcuffed by the legislators typically have better management of the resource and experience.

I know that the DEC is driven by legislator input, but what other regulation have they left up to the counties to opt in or out of?  I sure can't recall any.  Do counties get to decide for themselves how many doe permits get given out?  No way!  

I am all for counties being able to opt out of legislation. Esp in NY. Wish we could do more of it so that the stupid laws being passed downstate dont have to be followed upstate.  That being said there is no reason for one county to opt out of it . Are the 12_13 year olds in that county less capable than the rest of the state?  I could see a legitimate possible reason in maybe some of the Adirondack counties IF they thought it would impede snowmobiling as that is big up there. But Erie co....... Doesn't make much sense. 

31 minutes ago, phade said:

Two days before the youth gun hunt, there isn't much you can do to drive a quality experience for new hunters. You simply cannot move a property to accommodate. That's not sarcasm, that's reality for how many hunting parents and mentors are feeling right now.

I get it , I would be mad also. But it was a honest question and no need to direct your reality at me , I didn’t make the call to opt out . 

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

"There have been many unfortunate firearm accidents across the state and country, especially those involving youth hunters," he wrote in his veto letter to the county Legislature.

There have?

Most hunting accidents involve hunters with ten or more years of hunting experience. Not young hunters, who tend to be among the most safe.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, grampy said:

Most hunting accidents involve hunters with ten or more years of hunting experience. Not young hunters, who tend to be among the most safe.

Grampy

How dare you allow facts to interfere with hyperbole that supports their agenda.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, grampy said:

We find the same in the workplace. The most severe injuries are generally complacent workers and not the new hires who are trying to follow all the rules and processes. 

• Like 1

They are currently taking comments on possibly opting out of the “holiday hunting season”. They are taking comments until mid Nov. Please write in if you haven’t already asking that they follow the state recommendations.

https://www.wivb.com/news/dec-proposes-regulation-allowing-counties-to-opt-out-of-holiday-deer-hunt/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/buffalo/politics/2021/10/07/vote-to-override-poloncarz-veto-on-hunting-age-law-falls-short?cid=id-app15_m-share_s-web_cmp-app_launch_august2020_c-producer_posts_po-organic

The vote to override the veto failed tonight as well......complete joke Erie County is the only county in the entire state to opt out.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/buffalo/politics/2021/10/07/vote-to-override-poloncarz-veto-on-hunting-age-law-falls-short?cid=id-app15_m-share_s-web_cmp-app_launch_august2020_c-producer_posts_po-organic

The vote to override the veto failed tonight as well......complete joke Erie County is the only county in the entire state to opt out.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Only county in the entire COUNTRY to not allow 12-13 year olds hunt big game with a rifle if I remember correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what happens when anti-hunters are allowed to reach places of power.  Is it "just a coincidence" that all of them seem to be affiliated with the democratic party ?   My biggest question is how can any hunters, especially 4 or 5 outspoken members of this forum, align themselves with such fools ?  Have they no regard for the Bible and God's will where it is specifically mentioned that He populated the earth with animals to feed mankind.   

Edited by wolc123

20 hours ago, phade said:

Yes we need a state constitutional amendment for right to hunt and fish to be managed by game department, and remove politics completely  from the equation