YIKES

Steve D

4 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Time to finish your underground bunkers gentlemen. The end is near.

Since you seem to be perfectly fine with all the inflation, if I give you my paypal account will you make a donation to offset some of my costs? Between Gas, Groceries and all the utility bills increasing I am getting pinched tighter and tighter...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Since you seem to be perfectly fine with all the inflation, if I give you my paypal account will you make a donation to offset some of my costs? Between Gas, Groceries and all the utility bills increasing I am getting pinched tighter and tighter...

Dont exaggerate. Your grocery bills are only higher if you buy beef, poultry, or fish

There's enough salt in this thread in case salt prices go up. LOL.

In all seriousness because labor economics drive some of the business units I lead, I am fortunate to have some insights relative to drivers

First, the group that did decide to change work habits more than any other were the tail end of Gen X / Start of Millennials - the 35-45 age group with analog childhoods and digital adulthoods. They often brought forward the prior generation mindset to employment with fewer job changes and employer loyalty (I fall into this bracket). The pandemic really drove a percent of them to rethink priorities and take scaled back roles or different career paths with reduced cost of work when working from home, as well as a shift more toward work-life balance. 

Younger generations are more apt to have less employer loyalty, value WFH, and experiences more than prior groups. They as a result bounce around to employers frequently to raise their wages and find purpose driven leadership and values alignment. That said, they're not not working, it's just a higher cost of employment to employers, which trickles down.

The economic reopening created backlogs and voracious appetites that can't be handled with the current workforce. Having a low 5% UER in this type of environment is almost unimaginable. Matched with more open jobs than ever in the history of the US, and it's a special recipe. 

3 hours ago, Steve D said:

Rising natural gas prices has National Fuel warning its customers of a higher gas bill this winter.

This is a 43% increase compared to the last winter heating season bill

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/national-fuel-expect-your-heating-bill-to-increase-43-this-winter

2003- 2004 natural gas prices were a lot higher. Still far less expensive than propane.

4 minutes ago, phade said:

There's enough salt in this thread in case salt prices go up. LOL.

In all seriousness because labor economics drive some of the business units I lead, I am fortunate to have some insights relative to drivers

First, the group that did decide to change work habits more than any other were the tail end of Gen X / Start of Millennials - the 35-45 age group with analog childhoods and digital adulthoods. They often brought forward the prior generation mindset to employment with fewer job changes and employer loyalty (I fall into this bracket). The pandemic really drove a percent of them to rethink priorities and take scaled back roles or different career paths with reduced cost of work when working from home, as well as a shift more toward work-life balance. 

Younger generations are more apt to have less employer loyalty, value WFH, and experiences more than prior groups. They as a result bounce around to employers frequently to raise their wages and find purpose driven leadership and values alignment. That said, they're not not working, it's just a higher cost of employment to employers, which trickles down.

The economic reopening created backlogs and voracious appetites that can't be handled with the current workforce. Having a low 5% UER in this type of environment is almost unimaginable. Matched with more open jobs than ever in the history of the US, and it's a special recipe. 

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/24/1007914455/as-the-pandemic-recedes-millions-of-workers-are-saying-i-quit

The Great Resignation. Its not all bad, employers are needing to step up to retain good people

2 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/24/1007914455/as-the-pandemic-recedes-millions-of-workers-are-saying-i-quit

The Great Resignation. Its not all bad, employers are needing to step up to retain good people

That article was written in June. Starting wages for my open roles are 135% of what they were in June. That's not a step up for employers, that's a disruption.

All I know is anything we think we may need down the road we’re buying now . 

When we head to Fla. Our heat will be set at 50 , and we’ll bring guns ammo, cash, food, my jet boil ,everything we may need to live on. Worst that happens is we get real tan eat a lot of sea food and bring it all back home . Oh along with more ammo, magazines and …..

1 hour ago, ApexerER said:

would you call that a donation or a handout?

49 minutes ago, Nomad said:

When we head to Fla. Our heat will be set at 50 , and we’ll bring guns ammo, cash, food, my jet boil ,everything we may need to live on. Worst that happens is we get real tan eat a lot of sea food and bring it all back home . Oh along with more ammo, magazines and …..

You made think of the warren zevon song, bring layers guns and money ..

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

average price of gas in California today - $4.43.  Who would be surprised to see that in NY soon.....

Its coming.....We aren't even in heating season yet where a lot of that oil will go to heating oil....

4 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

would you call that a donation or a handout?

From you, a donation, from the government a handout....

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

I'm buying christmas gifts for my kids already . Zero chance this administration fixes the cargo ship traffic jam by the end of this term.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, left field said:

I have nothing to add other than to say that you are an interesting guy, Phade.

If we can't make fun of ourselves we're not living right. Plus, we all have gripes and no answers to this. Just like the rest of the country. Stay salty, my friend.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I'm buying christmas gifts for my kids already . Zero chance this administration fixes the cargo ship traffic jam by the end of this term.

I’m thinking of buying truck tires now for next summer , the trailer tires I had on order , due to arrive 9/25 are pushed out to 1/26 .