Back when it was real archery.....

G-Man

2 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

Possibly  some Archers on this site could duplicate the above??

Doubt it 150 lb pull on English long bows... these guys take easy route using compounds with 85% or more let off. And then say how easy a x bow is compared to their bow...... ;)

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Friends and I were practicing this weekend at our "range" we had just finished sighting a few guns in at 100 yds so started playing around with our bows at same distance.  After a few shots we were dialed in enough to hit the bag anyways ..lol.

I could hit the target if I pulled 20' over the target with my 60 yd pin..

Apparently 25' was too much..;)

Not the 1st story I have involving a dead stick..IMG_1564.thumb.jpg.7c1752f4f229d0ef58faef1ce7bc6fd1.jpg

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Doubt it 200 lb pull on English long bows... these guys take easy route using compounds with 85% or more let off. And then say how easy a x bow is compared to their bow...... ;)

Firing a crossgun and a compound are completely different. Just like standing on a line and firing an arrow in the air at a wall of people in hopes to hit someone 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sodfather said:

Firing a crossgun and a compound are completely different. Just like standing on a line and firing an arrow in the air at a wall of people in hopes to hit someone 

They did pretty well hitting someone.  by law they had to practice every day.. arrows were expensive they weren't wasted in volleys like the movies portraits. They were also bodkin pointed to penetrate plate mail armor..  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, sodfather said:

I agree I fired both today . The compound is so much lighter and easier to hold steady ,the Xbow is heavy ,bulky a pain to draw and no follow up shots  and loud as Hell , although they both did group the same . I,prefer the compound as long as my shoulder allows . 
 Offhand with the xbow is actually a worse group for me , I need to brace elbow to knee, aka bone on bone .

Neither is particularly hard to kill deer with .

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

300 yards IS the distance of three football fields.........not "almost".

Actually, a football field is 120 yards from post to post. That's why you can have a 100+ yard return touchdown on a punt, kick off, or interception. So three football fields would be 360 yards. :whistle:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Actually, a football field is 120 yards from post to post. That's why you can have a 100+ yard return touchdown on a punt, kick off, or interception. So three football fields would be 360 yards. :whistle:

Now you’re picking nits.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DirtTime said:

I'm trying to figure out the skeletal connection. Drawing the heavy weigh of those bows would build up muscle mass, but I don't see how it would cause bones to grow or contort leaving evidence on the skeleton. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

By building muscle the ligament and tendon attachment points would cause compression of the bone and added growth in density ( thickness to hold arm straight against the weight of bow

22 hours ago, Caveman said:

Yeah, I'm sure that's why one arm was bigger than the other...

I wish I knew that tidbit when I was a teenager.  "I've just been practicing with my English long bow, Dad.  I have no idea how that virus got on the computer."

LOL,  what's taking you so long in the shower son ? UMmm.... I'm just practicing archery.