Leather stocking guide service Cooperstown

Chef

So does anyone know anything about this outfit? Also I know there is a ton of deer up this way but how is the quality of the deer.

My buddy has a friend who paid for about half of the 4 day hunt $675 and now can’t go. He said I can have his spot if I pay the other 3 and change plus tip..

Just trying to figure out if it’s worth doing a guided hunt in NY

Thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

questions....how big a chunk of land and how many hunters a day do they take? Time of season? 

Invariably no matter where you go or for what, you always see a lot more small critters than big...its about patience and holding off. Call the place up /go to their website and look for references.

questions....how big a chunk of land and how many hunters a day do they take? Time of season? 
Invariably no matter where you go or for what, you always see a lot more small critters than big...its about patience and holding off. Call the place up /go to their website and look for references.

Sounds like they lease 6,000 acres and have hundreds of stands. Website is lacking but seems ok .

It would be this coming Sunday through Thursday

Lots of farmland in that area. Deer are well fed. An "average" three year old buck will be about 100 to 110 inches, and dress out 170lbs. Of course there are always BIG exceptions to the "average" rule. And some very nice big bucks are taken every season over that way.

Cooperstown is about a 35 minute drive from where I hunt. And there are a lot of similarities.

I know nothing about this guide service though.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 1

There's not a single NY outfitter with high success rates. I would say go have fun, hopefully see a few deer and if you actually got a nice buck it would all be gravy. $675 isn't $6K in Kansas, so expectations should be limited.

• Like 1

There's not a single NY outfitter with high success rates. I would say go have fun, hopefully see a few deer and if you actually got a nice buck it would all be gravy. $675 isn't $6K in Kansas, so expectations should be limited.

I agree… if it was a weekend i would be in 100%. It’s not the money I’m worried about it’s more burning vacation days… you see some of the bucks I have on cam… is it worth it to burn days for similar or even smaller deer

2 minutes ago, Chef said:

I agree… if it was a weekend i would be in 100%. It’s not the money I’m worried about it’s more burning vacation days… you see some of the bucks I have on cam… is it worth it to burn days for similar or even smaller deer

Just the experience might be worth it....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chef said:

If it was chasing time, I'd say go for it. But mid October? Not sure. Could always call the owner and see if he gives his honest thoughts mid October. I'm assuming he won't want to burn out his best stands before november

Just the experience might be worth it....

That’s true… although in that respect I’m milling around the idea of a late season GTG there for those that want to join could be more fun and at 675 it’s not bad

If it was chasing time, I'd say go for it. But mid October? Not sure. Could always call the owner and see if he gives his honest thoughts mid October. I'm assuming he won't want to burn out his best stands before november

Agreed. I think I’m going to pass for now… my buddy who booked is from central NH and they rut mid October so that’s why he picked those dates didn’t know any better

• Like 1

Mid Oct might be the last time I'd choose an outfitter for whitetails. I think I'd rather have Sept, early Oct, late Oct, all of Nov and Dec....but mid Oct...meh.

If seeing new ground and a new experience is worth it, then that may be the driver. The cost is good, but what are the ancillary costs, too. Food, lodging, transit, etc. 

You can OTC Ohio for $500-1K all in and have alot of public land to traverse, comparatively. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, phade said:

Mid Oct might be the last time I'd choose an outfitter for whitetails.

Unless it's Saskatchewan! Pat Lefimine (Bowsite) just started his live hunt there last night. Always an epic hunt every year with lots of pics/videos.

https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=494501&messages=33&forum=4

Hey Chef,Milford is the next town over from me. Lots of ag around there in the valleys,lots of woods on the hills. It is a pretty area but I agree that it probably is the worst time of year as far as big bucks go. I would join a gtg but sleep at my house, haha.

I have not heard of the outfit but that should not be a surprise as I don't look for outfitters at home.

I also think you would have to be lucky to kill a buck better than some of the ones you have by your house. 

Bow season pressure is fairly low up here,even on stateland.

C'mon man! Just do it! Have you ever bow hunted upstate CNY? IMHO $400 n change for 4 days of hunting private land is inexpensive. You'll spend half that in gas getting up here.

No, you're prolly not gonna kill a big buck but you never, ever know right? Unless you're in the stand. It's beautiful up here right now. Things are starting to pop. Corn's getting cut etc. Weather looks like it's going to cool off n rain for Sun and Mon. Might be the weather change we need to get things going.

FWIW I don't know the owner personally but they've been around for awhile. That says a little something about guide outfits in CNY. Go do it, see some new country, maybe meet some new friends, maybe take some fresh red meat back downstate. Win/win if you can burn a couple days of vacation. 

Enigma is right,the weather might be just the thing for it. I have seen the first hot doe in this area( to my knowledge anyway) around the 22nd of October.

It has been and still is hot,so the deer may feel much more frisky next week.

Also,are you still thinking about moving in this area? Good excuse to check a few things out...

My cabin is in CNY as well and I'm about 30 mins. From Cooperstown,  beautiful area with lots of AG/corn fields that roll up into mountains, mature deer both doe and buck tend to have larger then average bodies as they eat well. These are  CNY bucks to get your blood flowing,   not easy to kill, but they are out there. Go and enjoy, only live once buddy. Weren't you looking to relocate in that vacinity? This will give you the chance to explore that areas beauty. 

20210918_171459.jpg

20191226_141141_20150822_104313-1.jpg

20191102_105702_20191102_105702.jpg

Edited by NYBowhunter
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

My cabin is in CNY as well and I'm about 30 mins. From Cooperstown,  beautiful area with lots of AG/corn fields that roll up into mountains, mature deer both doe and buck tend to have larger then average bodies as they eat well. These are  CNY bucks to get your blood flowing,   not easy to kill, but they are out there. Go and enjoy, only live once buddy. Weren't you looking to relocate in that vacinity? This will give you the chance to explore that areas beauty. 

20210918_171459.jpg

20191226_141141_20150822_104313-1.jpg

20191102_105702_20191102_105702.jpg

Wow that buck has a wide rack. Where exactly did you say your camp was?