coyote hunting now

anybody been out coyote hunting?  every night i have a couple on trail cam in the middle of the night chasing does around. i want to try and do an overnight sit this friday night into saturday and take them out. 

i have the red light mounted on the rifle and the high beam red head lamp. i have the electronic call as well.  Plan on sitting in the shooting house over the field. i have never done it.

what my best chance .  put the call out in the field and start calling slowly?  and just keep scanning with the light?. which call do you recommend?  i hear pup yelps right now.  hoping i have a decent chance being that i have them on cam every night. 

thank you

Just went out with another member 2  nights ago.  We saw 3.  It was tough getting them to commit.  I did shoot and miss one at about 200yds .   The others were further our.  Since you know they are around, I would focus on challenge calls.  Pup calls aren’t a bad idea either but we really needed to piss em off.  Scanning always is critical.  Good luck. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

Just went out with another member 2  nights ago.  We saw 3.  It was tough getting them to commit.  I did shoot and miss one at about 200yds .   The others were further our.  Since you know they are around, I would focus on challenge calls.  Pup calls aren’t a bad idea either but we really needed to piss em off.  Scanning always is critical.  Good luck. 

yeah i am doing alot of reading now, it looks like the lights should always be on which i didnt think would be the case. constant scanning with the lights then keep the light on them when they are visible.  when you say challenge calls you mean other coyote calls right

no fawn distress or rabbit distress?

Locator calls, challenge calls and then pup distress.

Once you start calling, be ready and watch your downwind side, as they like to approach from downwind.

Even if you don't kill one, you'll be putting them on notice and maybe they'll look in a different area for an easier meal.

Emphasis on making sure it's a coyote at night. We've had everything under the sun come in to distress calls. Even fawns can trick you sometimes with their low eyes. My biggest advice would be to try and block off the downwind side when possible, whether it be a pond/swamp or open field you can easily scan. They circle a lot and you won't even know you got winded. At least if it's open you might get a crack before they bust you.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, fadetoblack188 said:

nothin... not a think came in, was out there from 3 am to 7am

That's one of the problem's with using a red light, as something could've come in, but you never saw it.

With bow season in full swing, it's likely they found a gut pile, road kill or another food source and aren't looking for a meal in your area.

Give them a day or two and they'll be back.

I know these days the latest rage for hunting varmints is calling after dark but I can tell you daytime hunting can be every bit as effective and even advantageous as you will see anything responding to your calls in your stand-setup better in daylight than any night lighting system ever can. Varmints are out and about all through the day. First thing in the morning and just before dark has been very productive for me. Also in my opinion taking a good shot and a longer shot is much easier during the daylight times. 

Al

I guess I can give my go to info out lol.

PAITENCE KILLS!! Just remember that.. 

1. Interrogation Howl, Give it much time, awaiting a response. 2. Challenge howl when they answer.. 3. When your ready to pack it up, or they arent willing to commit after challenging them to your best ability, play Pup distress, followed by another pup distress, and sometimes a 3rd. Ive called them in on the 3rd different pup distress played one after another, in the daytime and night time. Just be realistic with your calling. And IMO especially in areas coyotes get called to, AVOID playing too much cottontail distress calls. Play other types of sounds other than just cottontail.. 

If the coyotes show pattern, ID first not call at all and wait them out wind in your favor, not theirs. These coyotes showing pattern is them doing your homework for you.. If they end up late and not showing, then start your call sequence.. 

Also, Fox will come in to Coyote vocals.. so dont think they wont.. 

Edited by LET EM GROW