Hunting groups Hudson Valley, NY

Hello everyone, 

I am a newly minted hunter in the state of New York! Putnam Valley area to be specific. I want to familiarize myself with the hunting ground nearby before going out and hunting game this year. However, I am having a difficult time finding organizations to join near me which would allow me to be part of the hunting community. 

If you have any advise for a new hunter like myself in terms of joining a group for hunters etc., please drop your comment below. I look forward to hearing from you guys! Good luck this season. 

9 hours ago, Leatherneck said:

Hello everyone, 

I am a newly minted hunter in the state of New York! Putnam Valley area to be specific. I want to familiarize myself with the hunting ground nearby before going out and hunting game this year. However, I am having a difficult time finding organizations to join near me which would allow me to be part of the hunting community. 

If you have any advise for a new hunter like myself in terms of joining a group for hunters etc., please drop your comment below. I look forward to hearing from you guys! Good luck this season. 

Welcome. I grew up in Mahopac (other side of Bryant Pond Road exit) across from Put Valley. You may want to check out pcfga.org Putnam County Fish and Game Association. I took my hunters safety course there in 1996. They have been around forever. Maybe they have some membership openings?

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Get state land maps. The knocking on doors days for land to hunt are over. Like Gramps said there's a ton of info right here on this forum. Groups and clubs are something I've gotten away from years ago. All politics, dues, and volunteer work. Just get out in the woods. And YouTube is great for techniques, deer gutting, rifle reviews. NY has over a million acres of state lands and forest preserve, etc