What Do I Have??

Early

I was recently given a muzzle loading shotgun (caplock) that appears to be 32 ga. (??), along with the reloading tools that go with it. The stock is cracked near the lock...the lock is somewhat defective (hammer cocks, but will not stay cocked). I cannot find any writing of any kind on the gun or the reloading tools. Any idea what something like this might be worth?

Thanks,

Early

First: no camera...no know-how = no pictures...sorry!

Second: I went back and looked at this old stuff again. Obviously the gun and the reloading tools do not go together. (Reloading tools for a muzzle loader???)

The gun does have one mark on top of the barrel (on the octagonal portion): a small quarter inch oval, with what looks like L over LG inside it.

The powder/shot measure in the reloading kit is marked on the bottom: BGI Company

Pat. Feb 25, 1890

Thoughts??

Could it be an E over the LG and not an L? And is there a star below the LG?

If it is, that is a Belgian black powder proofmark that started around 1810. You might want to take the barrel off and look for more markings.

And about your reloading kit, check out the second article on the page:

http://www.oldammo.com/october08.htm

I found all of this in about 10 minutes on Google. Try it :)

Thanks....I also did a little searching: Yes, it is E over LG (One source says that's an Austrian proof mark.) Even with a magnifying glass, I can find no star (another source suggests that would mean Belgian). So, I guess it is either...or!!

I had not encountered the source you provided re: reloading tools. Thanks for that. I did discover several such tools on Ebay....Appears my whole kit is only worth around $60 +/-. I'll carry it to the next gun show.

Thanks again for your help,

Early