ML question

Chef

So two years ago I got a muzzle loader. It was a great addition and I’m excited to use it again this year. Planning a range trip this coming Friday. As I was getting things together I noticed I did not shoot to unload the ML at the end of last season..

Should I just take it to the range as is or should I remove breach plug, push ball and powder through and clean. The powder should be dry and fire no problem ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might fire, but I would be a little concerned with corrosion.   I would pull the breech plug and push it out, reassemble, then spray in some foaming bore cleaner into the end of the muzzle and let it soak for a half hour or more.  Then remove the breach plug again and run a bore snake though the barrel.  Make sure the hole is open thru the breech plug while it is out (use a small drill if you need to), reassemble  and you should be good to go.

• Like 3

Not that I’m an expert but for the range as is is fine. I wouldn’t take it hunting like that.

That’s what I’m thinking…. Worst case it doesn’t go bang… I take out breach plug, push through and start over

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Chef said:

That’s what I’m thinking…. Worst case it doesn’t go bang… I take out breach plug, push through and start over

No, worst case is the powder (substitute) has corroded the barrel and/or the face of the breech plug.

3 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

No, worst case is the powder (substitute) has corroded the barrel and/or the face of the breech plug.

It will probably go bang.  But there is a potential problem of the primer going off but the powder does not ignite.  This could push the bullet part way down the barrel.  If that happens it may be more difficult to push the bullet out and sure as hell you never want to try another primer after one has ignited until you are sure the barrel has been cleared.

17 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Why take the risk? Un screw the breech plug and clean it out. I wouldn't want what essentially becomes a pipe bomb in my hands, if I had the ability to just in screw it and clean it

How the hell is it a pipe bomb? 

It will most likely fire, if not pull the breech and clean it.  

1 minute ago, Just Lucky said:

Take the breech plug out, and clean it. I leave mine apart after the season.

I never could understand how someone forgets their gun is loaded. 

I am thinking dope.  Now that it is legalized in NY, these type of issues will only get worse, especially for the liberals and Democrats.