Do they eat where they rub ?

Northcountryman

Gentleman , went out scouting yesterday to get her intel for the impending season and discovered I nice little run line about 300 yds from the road . The topography is relatively flat , but with a slight downward slope on sort of an edge line , where it’s relatively open abutting some thicker cover . The line runs almost exactly N/ S along this edge : what I’m not understanding is , why is he rubbing here ? I don’t see any major food sources around the rub line anywhere and I though they tended to rub near a food source . Isn’t that generally true or no ? 

38 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Gentleman , went out scouting yesterday to get her intel for the impending season and discovered I nice little run line about 300 yds from the road . The topography is relatively flat , but with a slight downward slope on sort of an edge line , where it’s relatively open abutting some thicker cover . The line runs almost exactly N/ S along this edge : what I’m not understanding is , why is he rubbing here ? I don’t see any major food sources around the rub line anywhere and I though they tended to rub near a food source . Isn’t that generally true or no ? 

In my experience rub lines will be along travel corridors, staging , and bedding areas.  You may find the odd rub around food source.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northcountryman said:

Yes , that makes sense, thanks guys . So do they tend to rub more when going to bed or going to eat Would you say ? 

I see more rubs in staging areas just out of where they are feeding.  I'm not sure if that is just my observations or a general rule ?

I have watched quite a few deer rubbing their antlers over the years, and in each case the bucks were on the move from somewhere, to somewhere only pausing along the way to make a rub. They did not seem to be feeding at all.

• Like 1

I would say rubs are rubs. What it tells me is that there are bucks in the area.  If you have food sources and known bedding areas then you know they are in that area for a reason.   I generally just find rubs mostly on edges which is where deer travel often but have seen them in thick places, field edges, ridges etc.   I don't think there is a big science to it in a deers mind of to and from or a staging area or particular placement. I would just take it as buck sign.  Maybe look for areas where the rubs, food and bedding are closest together.  

Looks to me like that rubbing line is along a bench ; my guess is that he’s coming up from the bottom  to either bed or feed . The area below and to the right has a major downslope into a creek bottom and is quite remote . I’m thinking that’s probably his bedding area / sanctuary . Up and to the left is the road and some houses- they usually come up into yards in the late afternoon/ early evening , right ? I need to stick a trail cam along the rubline to  get a look at him and figure out patterns. Also , straight south is another road and a big piece of property w house and field ; considering this , could have it completely backwards and he’s actually going down there to feed/ hang out . To me , This is one of the Most interesting aspects of hunting - trying to solve the puzzle the deer present to us!! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Looks to me like that rubbing line is along a bench ; my guess is that he’s coming up from the bottom  to either bed or feed . The area below and to the right has a major downslope into a creek bottom and is quite remote . I’m thinking that’s probably his bedding area / sanctuary . Up and to the left is the road and some houses- they usually come up into yards in the late afternoon/ early evening , right ? I need to stick a trail cam along the rubline to  get a look at him and figure out patterns. Also , straight south is another road and a big piece of property w house and field ; considering this , could have it completely backwards and he’s actually going down there to feed/ hang out . To me , This is one of the Most interesting aspects of hunting - trying to solve the puzzle the deer present to us!! 

Direction of travel will be on one side of tree, and a second line will return several yards or more distant from 1st, so plotting your line should be all for example all rubbed on west side of tree and return rout or 2nd separate rub line maybe all on south..