Lessons learned from PA

Swamp_bucks

Being in PA this past week I learned a couple things. Like hunting those hills suck and are very hard, deer numbers aren't as high as I guessed and need to learn more about hill bedding and hunting also needing to focus on 1 or 2 areas and not 4 or 5.

Biggest lesson learned was with pressure around bedding and scrapes. We scouted the edge of a swamp that really had my interest. While scouting it I came across a massive scrape about 3'x4' with fresh tracks in it leading right into the swamp.  While scouting it and before backing out I had a guy randomly running through the woods ran right through the scrape and right along the edge of the cattails for about 200yards.

So I left because his scent trail and scent blew into what I expected was bedding. So to me I thought this area was done the scrape wouldn't be touched again for awhile.  

We went back Friday and scouted again just to see if we missed something else in that area. We came in farther into the swamp and came across 4 more huge scrapes and a 2ft wide path into the cattails. We eventually made it back to the first scrape I found on day number 2 and it was destroyed and now had several rubs around it. 

We were suprised he came back so soon granted we don't know if it was daylight or not.  It was just interesting to see that even with us being in around the scrape and a  guy running around the swamp and into the scrape it didn't seem to affect him much.

But first out of state hunt so we learned alot about new areas and what each of us need to work on to take us to that next level.   I will use what I learned on this trip for future hunts there and around my area for early season. 

• Like 4