One that got away....

WNYTRPR

Would love to see your pics or a story about a specific deer that you were never able to seal the deal with .

This guy was from when I first closed on some property ,I deployed one cam ,and hunted another property .Even after checking cams and finding this guy on it ,I didn’t hunt it much .That ,I kind of regret .Last pic I got of him was mid December ,5 years ago .I’ve killed some nice deer on the same property ,but never seen him again .

B88A232E-1F69-469A-AB52-071B6BF71461.jpeg

B6054116-246F-4E54-8AB9-DB5DFAE50D2F.jpeg

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Like 6

Hunted this guy for several years. Came close. Most notably the year he was killed when he was on the decline losing 20-30”.

Had a ruptured disc in my back and hunted a short stand. Sat until I locked up and couldn’t take the pain at like 3ish. I made it halfway to truck and had to lay down and rest. I pushed it too far. While dealing with the pain and general crappy state of affairs, my phone dings and he goes by that stand while I’m sitting in misery about 400 yards away and couldn’t do a thing about it.

The plot image is the image I am speaking to. Had him nailed. But alas…

F7D44A66-2A47-4A98-84A7-627F05701ABE.jpeg

22D8A94C-B41D-42EC-B8E9-105B7B51B995.jpeg

F2F28207-38F2-469C-8B11-7D72BE416B9B.jpeg

E5673F57-B039-4C32-9070-9DD865894B15.jpeg

Edited by phade
  • Like 7

This one still stings... Hunted this buck for 3 years. He was in my head and every move I made was trying to figure out how to cross paths with him to get my opportunity! He was the only buck I was going to settle for! His demise was getting kicked out on a drive down the road during gun season to a stander that wasn't from the area and had no history with the buck... 

IM001603.jpg

Great video of him working a scrape

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EDSDr9CN2QgvgFcS6

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

This one still stings... Hunted this buck for 3 years. He was in my head and every move I made was trying to figure out how to cross paths with him to get my opportunity! He was the only buck I was going to settle for! His demise was getting kicked out on a drive down the road during gun season to a stander that wasn't from the area and had no history with the buck... 

IM001603.jpg

Lord..

13 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

IM001603.jpg

insane buck. any idea what he scored?

IM001603.jpg

Is….. Is…… that 15 points I’m counting on his head?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's also a few honorable mentions. The mounted one ran by me once when I was a teenager. A neighbor kicked him up trailing a 4 point he hit. The one in the snow I got into a stand near there shortly after the picture was taken and never saw it til I got home that night.Screenshot_20211018-122907_Cloud_1.thumb.jpg.9fb0a957fc8d0dea685a069add2fecb1.jpgScreenshot_20211018-122827_Cloud_1.thumb.jpg.373fb133f69b5bfaf31518b3b10802e7.jpgScreenshot_20211018-123031_Cloud_1.thumb.jpg.89324d7c7ebb9b18afb9a941ee7527e6.jpg

• Like 2

I think I was a senior in High School when this one was on the hoof. Everyone in the area was hunting him, and I was fortunate enough to see him from the road a couple of times in a bean field next to where I hunted. A local guy (who has since passed on) took him during first shotgun season that year. He was featured in the old “Rack Magazine” under the title “The Bone Gap Monster”. I wish I could find a back issue of that. He was quite a deer. 

B12204F7-8837-47A5-810A-A72410A30FFF.png

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Splitear said:

I think I was a senior in High School when this one was on the hoof. Everyone in the area was hunting him, and I was fortunate enough to see him from the road a couple of times in a bean field next to where I hunted. A local guy (who has since passed on) took him during first shotgun season that year. He was featured in the old “Rack Magazine” under the title “The Bone Gap Monster”. I wish I could find a back issue of that. He was quite a deer. 

B12204F7-8837-47A5-810A-A72410A30FFF.png

I’m a tweener and I respect those shotgun guys a ton. 

On 10/18/2021 at 2:17 PM, Cabin Fever said:

IM001603.jpg

Holy hell! I would have quit my job to hunt him. A true buck of dreams and nightmares. Got buck fever just watching the video.

• Like 1

Resided on my property first year I bought it.  It was my second season hunting.  Tagged out on a lesser buck (but my first wall mounter) in bow not really knowing better.   I should have really just focused on this guy.  He ended up chasing a doe right in front of a blind in the neighbors field day 2 of gun season. Dump shot.  Live and learn.  

AEEA0FDF-948B-4454-9B80-AFA5FF124709.jpeg

• Like 10