Idaho elk 2022

Gencountyzeek

Sooooo pumped to write this. Planning a 2022 diy Idaho elk/muley hunt. I have a buddy that is out there currently and took a nice mule deer and did some scouting for next year. We will be in the stanley area hopefully. There are 3 zones we will hopefully get 1 of them. Cant wait for Dec 1st, thats when the draw happens. Ill be carrying a Christensen arms mesa in .308, i pick that up tomorrow :derisive:. Time to do alot of E scouting and to get in the best shape of my life lol. Alot of hunting from 7000ft to 8500ft most likely. Ill hopefully be updating this post here and there.

• Like 14

Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16×44 mounted in Warne mountain tech rings, which are sitting on nightforce 20moa bases. 

I have 10 boxes of nosler 165gr accubond coming that i got off of gunbroker for a really good price actually. Averaged $39 a box. As soon as that gets here im going to break in the barrel with some other 308 i have laying around and zero it with the nosler.

20211026_155735.jpg

• Like 2

Last night I started doing some reading on Idaho elk and mule deer hunting and a lot of what in read so far mentioned salmon river. I'm gonna do some research. I told my  wife that I might be planning a trip there in the next year or two.

Good luck

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Red said:

Last night I started doing some reading on Idaho elk and mule deer hunting and a lot of what in read so far mentioned salmon river. I'm gonna do some research. I told my  wife that I might be planning a trip there in the next year or two.

Good luck

Im trying to read as much as possible but i cant find that much info, people are very tight lipped about good areas which i totally understand. 

Good luck

Im trying to read as much as possible but i cant find that much info, people are very tight lipped about good areas which i totally understand. 

Try bowsite the main board or drill down into Idaho only.

Also can try Hunting Fool forum, Coues Whitetail forum, Monster Muleys forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dmandoes said:

A lot of the tags sell out in minutes or hours. Be ready to but when they go on sale. Makes it difficult, especially if u want to go with other hunters. 

Yes ill most likely be taking Dec 1st off of work along with my buddy. Tags go on sale 10am mt time. I believe there are around 750 elk tags available for the unit i want. Then i have to try and get a deer tag for that area also. 

• 1 month later...

Figured id update this a little. Tags went on sale Dec. 1st, my buddy and i were fortunate enough to both get salmon zone B tags for elk. He got 36B for mulies, and i got 28. Those are touching units and ive been doing alot of e scouting on the border of the units. Ill say ON X maps has been huge with the amount of info you can layer on the maps. We also picked up grey wolf tags, from what ive read they are pretty prominent in the area and Idaho wants you to take them if you can.

• Like 8

Figured id update this a little. Tags went on sale Dec. 1st, my buddy and i were fortunate enough to both get salmon zone B tags for elk. He got 36B for mulies, and i got 28. Those are touching units and ive been doing alot of e scouting on the border of the units. Ill say ON X maps has been huge with the amount of info you can layer on the maps. We also picked up grey wolf tags, from what ive read they are pretty prominent in the area and Idaho wants you to take them if you can.

Good luck! Should be fun. I’m a big fan of grabbing every tag you can out of state. Never know what you might see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For Christmas my awsome wife got me a pair of Crispi Guide GTX boots for the hunt. They were on my wish list and i wasnt sure if i would pony up the money for boots. They should be here tomorrow! Plus cash from other family for purchasing more gear. Will be at Cabelas tomorrow to pick up a Jetboil and maybe some other stuff.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

For Christmas my awsome wife got me a pair of Crispi Guide GTX boots for the hunt. They were on my wish list and i wasnt sure if i would pony up the money for boots. They should be here tomorrow! Plus cash from other family for purchasing more gear. Will be at Cabelas tomorrow to pick up a Jetboil and maybe some other stuff.

Nice those things are like $480. Sweet you must have been really good this year. I might have to check them out. Might be good for my bad feet.

15 hours ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Nice those things are like $480. Sweet you must have been really good this year. I might have to check them out. Might be good for my bad feet.

They showed up this a.m. Ive been wearing them all day today. Driving to cabelas then dicks. They are incredibly comfortable boots. Warm, stiff but you still have good movement, great ankle support. Love them so far.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Went to the Harrisburg outdoor show specifically to check out Kuiu. 15% off show special, ended up ordering a pro 6000 pack and a pair of pro pants and a midlayer top. When i got home i ordered a Phelps renegade bugle, and 2 diaphragms. Cant wait to freak the local deer heard out while i walk around the woods attempting to bugle lol. Will post some picks when it all gets here. 

O, also picked up a barely used Hawke endevor hd 15-45×60 spotting scope off Rokslide, its sitting on a Zomei carbon fiber tripod i got used off ebay. Pretty good glass for the money, searching for a good pair of 8x42 or 10x42 binos next.

• Like 3