Idaho elk 2022

Gencountyzeek

On 2/10/2022 at 8:23 PM, Gencountyzeek said:

Went to the Harrisburg outdoor show specifically to check out Kuiu. 15% off show special, ended up ordering a pro 6000 pack and a pair of pro pants and a midlayer top. When i got home i ordered a Phelps renegade bugle, and 2 diaphragms. Cant wait to freak the local deer heard out while i walk around the woods attempting to bugle lol. Will post some picks when it all gets here. 

O, also picked up a barely used Hawke endevor hd 15-45×60 spotting scope off Rokslide, its sitting on a Zomei carbon fiber tripod i got used off ebay. Pretty good glass for the money, searching for a good pair of 8x42 or 10x42 binos next.

Hawke optics are under rated for sure.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 7:15 PM, Gencountyzeek said:

Figured id update this a little. Tags went on sale Dec. 1st, my buddy and i were fortunate enough to both get salmon zone B tags for elk. He got 36B for mulies, and i got 28. Those are touching units and ive been doing alot of e scouting on the border of the units. Ill say ON X maps has been huge with the amount of info you can layer on the maps. We also picked up grey wolf tags, from what ive read they are pretty prominent in the area and Idaho wants you to take them if you can.

You have to hunt the zone you drew the tag  in  you cannot hunt any other zone 

Idah is, steep rugged country  hope your in real good shape 

You wont see a wolf much less kill one 

You will see, lots, of tracks but you wont see a, wolf 

Never count Zeke outta the game....guesing he has a few tricks up his sleeeve!

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, TLR said:

Well you’re just Mr.Optimistic 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 2/19/2022 at 8:41 PM, TLR said:

Yes, i know u hunt what u draw. I drew salmon for elk. So i have ALL of salmon to hunt if i wish. For mule deer i drew unit 28 (which is in salmon zone) i know i can only hunt unit 28 for deer. Im not expecting to see a wolf but why not buy a $30 tag. I appreciate your optimistic attitude, hope ya have a great day.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Eat your Wheaties....Most hunting in Idaho is at about a 45 degree angle,, and that's the LEVEL ground....Hehehe..

Good luck, my friend,  I envy you....

I started working out this month. Will ramp it up a little every month, mix in different workouts. Planning on doing alot of hiking with the pack on, biking when the weather gets better. Hoping to hit up ny tallest peak. Im not taking this lightly, the last thing i want is to miss a opportunity that i may never get a crack at again because i didnt prepare myself.

• Like 6

I started working out this month. Will ramp it up a little every month, mix in different workouts. Planning on doing alot of hiking with the pack on, biking when the weather gets better. Hoping to hit up ny tallest peak. Im not taking this lightly, the last thing i want is to miss a opportunity that i may never get a crack at again because i didnt prepare myself.

There’s a great thread on bowsite called “sheep shape”. Some great tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some fun new stuff rolling in for the hunt. Goal Zero solar panel, weighs 1lb, some solar crush lights for in the tent and around camp. Not pictured is Kuiu pro pants, not sure if these will be the pants i bring. Thinking i want something that can zip off or atleast vent better. For rain gear i purchased Kryptek koldo jacket and pants. Pre ordered a Argali Recon 2 person tent, my buddy ordered one also. Ill probably end up purchasing a titanium stove at some point to make this a hot tent. Big purchases still left will be 8x42 or 10x42 binos, a sleeping bag, a garmin inreach mini, and water filtration system. Still need a base layer pant, a mid layer pant and probably a pair of whichever pant i find i like better than the kuiu pros. Up top im good,  o also got some pairs of darn tough socks in. 

Resized_20220308_151805.jpeg

• Like 8

On 3/11/2022 at 3:28 PM, Gencountyzeek said:

Some fun new stuff rolling in for the hunt. Goal Zero solar panel, weighs 1lb, some solar crush lights for in the tent and around camp. Not pictured is Kuiu pro pants, not sure if these will be the pants i bring. Thinking i want something that can zip off or atleast vent better. For rain gear i purchased Kryptek koldo jacket and pants. Pre ordered a Argali Recon 2 person tent, my buddy ordered one also. Ill probably end up purchasing a titanium stove at some point to make this a hot tent. Big purchases still left will be 8x42 or 10x42 binos, a sleeping bag, a garmin inreach mini, and water filtration system. Still need a base layer pant, a mid layer pant and probably a pair of whichever pant i find i like better than the kuiu pros. Up top im good,  o also got some pairs of darn tough socks in. 

Make sure base layers are merino!!!

• Like 2

On 3/11/2022 at 3:28 PM, Gencountyzeek said:

Except for my wallet , I enjoyed collecting all the new gear for my 1st elk trip last year..

I hadn't seen these lights before. I have to get some now.lol.

Have you bought trekking poles yet?

I sold my both my lite outdoors cylinder stoves and bought a S/O Uturn. So far I used it with a Kifaru Sawtooth and S/O Cimarron. I have the medium and it’s sized right for those two shelters. A thing bigger I would bum up to a large. After using the UTurn I wouldn’t get anther cylinder stove again.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

You’re going to have a blast! I spent 16 days camping and bowhunting in unit 1 a couple years ago. One of the guys missed a 6x6, I never released an arrow.  While it would have been nice to bring some elk meat home, I can honestly say I still considered it a successful trip just spending that amount of time in the Rockies with my buddies.  Good luck!!

5 hours ago, outdoorstom said:

You’re going to have a blast! I spent 16 days camping and bowhunting in unit 1 a couple years ago. One of the guys missed a 6x6, I never released an arrow.  While it would have been nice to bring some elk meat home, I can honestly say I still considered it a successful trip just spending that amount of time in the Rockies with my buddies.  Good luck!!

Thank you, yea im definitely not basing success of the trip on a kill. Its going to be a amazing experience in a truly wild and beautiful place. Still get giddy thinking about this trip, cant believe it lol.

• Like 2