Idaho elk 2022

Gencountyzeek

• 2 months later...

Well its time, we will be heading out tonight. Pack is all set, coming in at 66lbs. 9 days worth of food, each days worth of food weighs just under 2lbs, each bag contains roughly 3000 calories.

Went to a buddies place last week and shot out to 400 yards, all my data is set to 500 yards and looking good. My friend that is going...Definitely going to try and limit his shots to 300 yards and under. My bullet of choice for this trip is factory loaded Federal terminal ascent 175gr. Buddy is using Federal 165gr trophy bonded tipped ammo. 

We have 5 coolers in the bed of the truck totaling 615 quarts. This should do for 2 elk and a muley boned out. If more space is needed we will go cooler shopping.

Current temps from the closest town i can get looks like highs of 60⁰ and lows in the low 30⁰s. Now this is Cobalt Idaho, which sits around 5k ft of elevation, we will be 2500-3500ft higher so im anticipating cooler temps. 

Ill have a big write up when we get back, ill have some pics posted on our way out but for now...wish us luck!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Well its time, we will be heading out tonight. Pack is all set, coming in at 66lbs. 9 days worth of food, each days worth of food weighs just under 2lbs, each bag contains roughly 3000 calories.

Went to a buddies place last week and shot out to 400 yards, all my data is set to 500 yards and looking good. My friend that is going...Definitely going to try and limit his shots to 300 yards and under. My bullet of choice for this trip is factory loaded Federal terminal ascent 175gr. Buddy is using Federal 165gr trophy bonded tipped ammo. 

We have 5 coolers in the bed of the truck totaling 615 quarts. This should do for 2 elk and a muley boned out. If more space is needed we will go cooler shopping.

Current temps from the closest town i can get looks like highs of 60⁰ and lows in the low 30⁰s. Now this is Cobalt Idaho, which sits around 5k ft of elevation, we will be 2500-3500ft higher so im anticipating cooler temps. 

Ill have a big write up when we get back, ill have some pics posted on our way out but for now...wish us luck!

Good luck! Shoot straight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Need a camp bitch  ??....I can cook and butcher meat....You young pups will have to HAUL it though...

Good luck.. !!   Have fun but be careful..Remember where you ARE when you take out that knife....

Does this offer apply for NY Dan?   You are welcome to come over and cook and butcher whenever you like!  I will even provide the guest room for you and your lovely wife!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Walking around a Cabelas in Minneapolis Minnesota. So far the ride has been a good one. Chicago sucked but not as bad as i expected. Very smooth sailing since.

I don’t know where your route will take you or if you’ll have time; but Scheels is a decent outdoor store and so is Linton Outdoors, they are in Idaho.(Linton caters to backpack hunters, with lots of good equipment)

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 2