223 Vmax For Deer?????

grampy

11 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Varmint bullets are made to explode and fragment.  I wasn't surprised at all.  High velocity and a frangible bullet won't give you penetration.

Sorry, not my experience. They definitely did not pass through, but a few jackets on occasion would be under the hide on the opposite side. 

5 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Sorry, not my experience. They definitely did not pass through, but a few jackets on occasion would be under the hide on the opposite side. 

Then hunt with a .17.  I have had good experience with a bigger caliber and a real bullet.  Just reporting what I saw in person.

35 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Then hunt with a .17.  I have had good experience with a bigger caliber and a real bullet.  Just reporting what I saw in person.

Not trying to advocate for small cartridges or be a jerk.lol.

Heck, I use a .300 win mag.  I'm just giving my experiences as well.. 

• Like 1

Personally l like the old 30_06 

Or 12 ga for deer hunting but i dont see why a 223 would not do the job especially under 70 80  yards which is what most guys are shooting deer at in new york state .  Farther then that if it was me i go with something bigger . You probably want to just empty out the mag with something like a ar anyway I mean that is what they are made for really fast fallow up shots right? 2 or 3 of them i figure = a slug or 30cal bullet .

I killed a lot of deer with a 223 when I was stationed down south and it was my only rifle. That little 7615 was pure hell on em with barness ttsx 55g. A lot of running shots on drives and I don’t remember ever losing one. I wouldn’t use Vmax bullets but you have to live and learn.

When I first started hunting up north I loved my ballistic silver tips and people that knew better told
Me to get something that will penetrate better and after having to chase a couple bucks that I shot at bad angles only to have to finish off I realized they were right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

After 20 years on the WWW, I am tired of arguing with guys on this topic. You can kill a deer with an air rifle, 22LR, or a varmint rifle. But why do something that you know has a decent risk of failure or worse crippling an animal & feeding coyotes? As a boy my father always told me "use the right tool for the job", and that mantra carries over into hunting as well. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

After 20 years on the WWW, I am tired of arguing with guys on this topic. You can kill a deer with an air rifle, 22LR, or a varmint rifle. But why do something that you know has a decent risk of failure or worse crippling an animal & feeding coyotes? As a boy my father always told me "use the right tool for the job", and that mantra carries over into hunting as well. 

Some folks just ain’t all that bright and you can’t fix stupid.

• Thanks 1

So is the issue with the round or the type of rifle being used? Legitimate question here because I have actually read articles/posts of people saying that a .223 from a bolt action rifle is deadlier then an AR15. Now that is stupid you can't fix either.

I personally have no issue with what round or rifle a hunter chooses as long as they do their part. They still shoot deer with buckshot in some states and I would have to imagine a .223 would be at least as effective as 00Buck.

On 10/31/2021 at 8:23 PM, DirtTime said:

So is the issue with the round or the type of rifle being used? Legitimate question here because I have actually read articles/posts of people saying that a .223 from a bolt action rifle is deadlier then an AR15. Now that is stupid you can't fix either.

I personally have no issue with what round or rifle a hunter chooses as long as they do their part. They still shoot deer with buckshot in some states and I would have to imagine a .223 would be at least as effective as 00Buck.

The difference is barrel length, standard AR rifles are usually 16". Where bolt action rifles can range from 22-28" long typically. Thats a big change in velocity. and many times, accuracy as well.  

That a valid point @LET EM GROW. I have seen AR15's with longer barrels. A few I looked at last Spring had a 24" barrel. I was looking for one and the few I found in stock were the longer barrels. If not for all the craziness I would have bought one, but I refused to pay $1200 for a $500 rifle.

I'm still curious why there are people who would like NY to allow buckshot for deer but say the .223 isn't a solid option. Given the choice between those two I would take the .223. I won't shoot at running deer which is about the only thing 00Buckshot is good for in my personal opinion. Or extremely close range. But the range shouldn't make the argument as any good deer rifle will kill deer just as dead at 20 yards as it will at 150 yards.

I see a few people toting AR's around me, they may be 10's, but the mags seem to small to be .308. So I would guess they are .223.