Been playing with the new truck

moog5050

20 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

What tune did you go with?

I’ve been thinking of one just to smooth out the 10 speed transmission. From reading online a tune seems to be the best way. Even Ford hasn’t figured it out yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a Cobb accessport.  I like one of the Cobb TCM tunes (transmission) but have several custom tunes from goosetuned for the ECM.   Tuning makes a world of difference, both in terms of useable power and to smooth out that 10 speed.   

25 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Old guys everywhere are looking for their favorite v8 t shirts to put on in response LOL. 

The first raptor was the 6.2.   It sounded great.   But this 6 cylinder would eat it’s lunch. Admittedly I prefer the sound of the 6.2 better.   But the performance of the 3.5 is so much better. 

52 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

The first raptor was the 6.2.   It sounded great.   But this 6 cylinder would eat it’s lunch. Admittedly I prefer the sound of the 6.2 better.   But the performance of the 3.5 is so much better. 

Those 3.5 are no joke , I had it on my list when getting a truck and a bunch of guys i work with talked me into being ok with the smaller one for what we wanted to do with the truck. A couple guys here modified the 3.5 ,I cant believe how fast they are.

• Like 1

i no nothing of what's being said here. i have a Chevy V6.... no turbo, let alone two and a tune. 

in all seriousness though everybody raves about them hauling out here heading further north. elevation sucks the heck out of a naturally aspirated vehicle. (no sarcasm but true to the description) my sissy truck was able to tow a two place trailer full of gear and sleds while dragging some dink in a turbo 4 banger compact SUV that was hanging out at the back of my trailer. up a steep mountain around here around 1/2 mile above sea level, despite that's not saying much. i like the 23mpg I get daily driving but there is a thing for smiles per mile if you're caring about being thrifty.

10 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i no nothing of what's being said here. i have a Chevy V6.... no turbo, let alone two and a tune. 

in all seriousness though everybody raves about them hauling out here heading further north. elevation sucks the heck out of a naturally aspirated vehicle. (no sarcasm but true to the description) my sissy truck was able to tow a two place trailer full of gear and sleds while dragging some dink in a turbo 4 banger compact SUV that was hanging out at the back of my trailer. up a steep mountain around here around 1/2 mile above sea level, despite that's not saying much. i like the 23mpg I get daily driving but there is a thing for smiles per mile if you're caring about being thrifty.

No smiles here on the gas consumption, but I always liked fast vehicles and its nice to have a truck that can handle most things as a fast daily driver.   That said, I average around 15mpg.   I probably can get close to 18 on highway driving but it won't beat your consumption.  Still better than the old v8 raptor which averaged in the 13s.

17 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

You can’t beat the sound of a big V8 but you also can’t beat these turbo V6’s as far as performance goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yea a V8 can. it's expensive, from Hennessey, and it's not naturally aspirated though. i eyed them for so long but figured i'd cause me a divorce and kids would have to work through college or trade school.

9 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

No smiles here on the gas consumption, but I always liked fast vehicles and its nice to have a truck that can handle most things as a fast daily driver.   That said, I average around 15mpg.   I probably can get close to 18 on highway driving but it won't beat your consumption.  Still better than the old v8 raptor which averaged in the 13s.

it replaced the "farm truck" i drove around. '13 V8 that got 16ish mpg no matter what. on paper engine performance they're still the same. driving the V8 had a little more grunt for a fraction of a second but the V6 feels like it pulls just as hard. almost of a decade of little tweaks of improvement makes a difference i guess. my cousin has a chipped durango hemi 392. he eats a gas bill but says "smiles per mile" vs mpg.

5 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

yea a V8 can. it's expensive, from Hennessey, and it's not naturally aspirated though. i eyed them for so long but figured i'd cause me a divorce and kids would have to work through college or trade school.

Every exhaust I have looked at for the V6 turbo's has been a disappointment. It seems that no one is really happy with how they sound. 

My tires are loud enough, I guess I don't need to add extra exhaust noise. 

19 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Every exhaust I have looked at for the V6 turbo's has been a disappointment. It seems that no one is really happy with how they sound. 

even the Hennessey sounds like dog crap versus the V8 rumble. is what it is.
https://youtu.be/anP6k7dw00E

23 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

https://youtu.be/RGkxbfFDdtE 

1:40 in twin turbo 6 raptor vs charged v8.

36 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

https://youtu.be/RGkxbfFDdtE 

1:40 in twin turbo 6 raptor vs charged v8.

Nah - not a fair comparison.   That 3.5 is not tuned vs a supercharged 8.  My 0-60 was 6.5ish before the tune and is now 4.4.   Huge difference.  Thats the great things about the 3.5TT - it don't cost much to make it very fast.

26 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Nah - not a fair comparison.   That 3.5 is not tuned vs a supercharged 8.  My 0-60 was 6.5ish before the tune and is now 4.4.   Huge difference.  Thats the great things about the 3.5TT - it don't cost much to make it very fast.

mojo - sound was purpose of that post. agree boosted and tuned boosted is a big difference.

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

My stock 5.0 with the 6 speed averages  17.8 , I set me cruise around 75-78 usually . So I’d say your not doing  bad. When buying a truck the milage is the last thing I consider. It’s amazing what HP increase one can get from just a tune , I keep going back and forth on doing mine. I’ve got some mods to do to my atv this winter so maybe after I do them I’ll give my truck a little love . 

• Like 1