St Regis Canoe Area, ADKs NYS

Otto

Leaving in the morning for a canoe/fishing/hunting/hiking trip to the St Regis Canoe Area in the Adirondacks.  I bought a new (used) canoe this past summer and other than a short trip in Alex Bay, this will be the maiden voyage.  Hopefully the weather is not too cold and rainy.  We will be hunting with bows, even though gun season opens there this weekend.   I believe everything is packed a ready to go, just need to find a cigar shop on the way up, that was the only thing I forgot to get this week.   We went to Lake Lila last year and I tried to only pack one half of what I brought last year.  

Pictures and a full trip report when I return.  Thanks to @Robinfor the inspiration! 

• Like 11

I think Robin and his son are supposed to be up in the 5 ponds area this weekend.  That    looks like it is about half way between where you are going and where I am.

It sounds like you are really going to be roughing it ala Robin.  I hope you have a wonderful adventure.  It looks like it is going to cool down over the weekend, which should get the deer moving.

Getting an Adirondack buck with a bow and no snow has got to be one of the biggest challenges in hunting.  I have been up here hunting with my ML since Saturday and have yet to see any signs of a buck.

I am switching to my rifle on opening day Saturday, and will keep trying for a buck

24 minutes ago, Otto said:

Leaving in the morning for a canoe/fishing/hunting/hiking trip to the St Regis Canoe Area in the Adirondacks.  I bought a new (used) canoe this past summer and other than a short trip in Alex Bay, this will be the maiden voyage.  Hopefully the weather is not too cold and rainy.  We will be hunting with bows, even though gun season opens there this weekend.   I believe everything is packed a ready to go, just need to find a cigar shop on the way up, that was the only thing I forgot to get this week.   We went to Lake Lila last year and I tried to only pack one half of what I brought last year.  

Pictures and a full trip report when I return.  Thanks to @Robinfor the inspiration! 

until around 10:00 Sunday morning.  The butcher thinks they will have my doe done in time for my drive home at noon on Sunday.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Good luck, sounds like a great adventure. I have been wanting to do this for some time. Just can't convince a buddy or two! Can't wait for pics and stories. How many bottles of wine and sauce you packing??

Wine, bourbon and beer!  We don’t scrimp even though we have to carry it.  And yes, homemade sauce and meatballs because it is an easy meal in the woods.  Heat in the freezer bag, boil water for pasta and you’re done! 

• Like 4

Good luck Otto! I've done backwoods ADK hunts and have more planned in the future, after my hunting buddy retires from the Air Force in 18 months. 

One of those special hunts were if you or your friend connect its awesome but regardless you will have fun. When shit happens as it usually does it just makes for a better story. Have fun and good luck! Let's see some pictures after your done with a wall mount in toe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto said:

Where abouts I'm not far from there? Floodwood Rd Little green pond have free camping in wawbeek lake clear area. Lots of deer always see them by saranac inn golf course.

1 hour ago, Otto said:

Sounds like a great trip, be safe.

13 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Where abouts I'm not far from there? Floodwood Rd Little green pond have free camping in wawbeek lake clear area. Lots of deer always see them by saranac inn golf course.

We are launching at Hoel Pond and canoeing to Slang Pond. DEC has primitive campsites there.   We plan to explore Slang, Long and Pink Ponds - Fishing mostly.  We will hunt near our campsite.  Loop return to Hoel at end of trip.  I know a popular canoe trip is to enter at Floodwood Road and end up at Hoel, with a few carries between waters. 

• Like 3

I wonder how this adventure is progressing.  I loose cell reception quite often here on the NW corner of the Adirondack park, So I bet there is little to none 60 or 70 miles further in.   It is also not easy to charge batteries in there while “off the grid” so probably saving those for pictures.  Can’t wait to see those.

The last few days had to be pretty rough camping, as far as rain and cold.  Blue skies today though and things look to be shaping up pretty good thru Sunday.

We left Thursday and arrived at the Hoel Pond Boat Launch by noon.  Fairly good rain, so we waited a while to see if it would clear up.  After half an hour we decided to take all of our waterproof gear and bags and leave the rest in the car.  We made the run across Hoel and then back to the car for the remaining gear.  Two canoe loads of gear is just too much even if it was less than last year. We looked at sites on Turtle Pond but nothing looked decent, so we made to trek over to Slang Pond, Site 1, which was a great campsite. 

20211023_154058.thumb.jpg.aefb93323e02821620ee4b625a7dcbc4.jpg

We had the tent and cook tent set up by 6pm and started dinner.  Venison Stew - no pics...

It was pretty cold overnight, into the low 40's, but both of us have warm sleeping bags.  It rained as soon as we turned in and it rained almost all night, sometimes pretty hard. Friday morning we had some pancakes and sausage and then headed out to do some fishing.  My buddy caught a couple of nice bass which we kept for breakfast the next morning.  We spent a good part of the day fishing and paddling around the pond.  Dinner that night was pulled pork - again, no pics. 

20211021_162333.thumb.jpg.b50cc9d111f6cbce2456227b79aac4ab.jpg20211022_165830.thumb.jpg.571540d58f3931340c55f9d3c21ad764.jpg

Saturday was opening day of gun in the Northern Zone and we had three guys canoe up to our site that morning.  They said they were very surprised to see someone camping there, as they had been coming to that spot for over 25 years and had never seen anyone there ever.  We asked them how the deer hunting has been over the past 25 years and they said they had never been able to shoot one, but had a lot of great memories.  One of the gentlemen showed us a plaque on a tree near the campsite put there in honor of one of their comrades.  Pretty awesome gesture! 

20211023_162618.thumb.jpg.dae9c36baa041a9c5e1e5c76013dbc5a.jpg

We decided to head out into the woods ourselves and see if they were just poor hunters of if the deer population just didn't exist near there.  In just under 2 miles of walking we never saw any deer sign whatsoever - no scrapes, rubs, or even scat. Still a fun morning and it wasn't raining, so that was good. 

20211023_113537.thumb.jpg.18fa9bd48c164493df5c6b112bca3598.jpg

Not sure why the above photo is upside down!  We came back from hunting and cooked up the fish with some scrambled eggs and had an awesome breakfast!

20211023_133153.thumb.jpg.936df37de7218f5d4c88eb8195292a61.jpg

We spent the rest of the day fishing again with no luck. Both of us were looking forward to a bottle of homemade wine and pasta with meatballs for dinner.  All three nights we had great campfires, even with mostly wet wood. 

20211023_171137.thumb.jpg.36a320105c3c4c7a0854c9e2e557b4fa.jpg

20211023_183407.thumb.jpg.c7f4957b1875d09dbaae1c2f8e3fa75d.jpg20211023_185130.thumb.jpg.3b2fdfbd6e52508fec7bcb75361501de.jpg20211023_190909.thumb.jpg.054becbba5df39f10fb1ff967fb243e4.jpg   

Some scenery shots: 

20211021_140119.thumb.jpg.9ac88daaf53a20500612085a274bd672.jpg20211021_160253.thumb.jpg.7ac5d2720a734012d6624aad4e77ee02.jpg20211022_123514.thumb.jpg.b78af8267df1eafb62182d88825ae1f7.jpg20211023_142918.thumb.jpg.5a2ad13b266b43f8f5b95354ffadd5a3.jpg20211024_123602.thumb.jpg.e1f755a9da2e2572d7ce9689179f2269.jpg

It was a great trip! I was worried I would be cold and wet the whole time, but other than some leaky muck boots, I was pretty comfortable.  Even on Saturday night when is was in the mid-30s overnight I stayed warm in my sleeping bag.  We definitely need to bring less gear and more bourbon.  Otherwise, it was well planned and very enjoyable! 

• Like 14

Sounds and looks like a great trip.  Deer or no deer it’s well worth the efforts.   I was wondering, how did you electrify the lights??
Lithium batteries with LED lights

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

60 miles due west of there, the rut kicked off on opening day that Saturday, or the day before.  I saw no scrapes, walking the same trail on Thursday, but found a few on Sunday. 

it’s cool that you guys had largemouth bass there.  They don’t fight as hard but I like eating them a little better than smallmouth.  That’s pretty much all there is in the lake where I stay.  This was likely my last of the year, caught and released on opening Saturday of gun season:

F66ECC49-E88C-45A1-8A34-34E7EFD2597E.jpeg

I might try one more time on the Saturday after Thanksgiving if the lake is not iced over then.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Otto said:

That looks a lot more comfortable than the ground! 

Although I was comfortable on the ground, but just could not sleep well.  Again, not enough bourbon.  

The ground is tough for sure.  I did that in a tent, for quite a few years on our annual summer vacation, up on the St. Lawrence river.  I sprung for a cot this year, and it made a world of difference.  

The cot is especially nice when it rains, because it seems that the canvas floor of the tent always got wet.  Hunting from a tent seems like it would be neat to try, as long as it was warm and dry enough.

Looks like you guys had a great trip.

Been a long time since I was out there on a hunting trip using a tent. I would do it again, but the wife isn't having any of that so we rent a cabin. I'm fine with that as long as I get to hunt up there.

I tried to get something going for Mason Lake this year and couldn't find anyone willing to go in October. My buddy said he'd go next year but he doesn't hunt so his concern is just hanging out in camp with not much to do.

Hunting deer in most of the ADK's is difficult and a lot of people go a long time and never see a deer. If you're hunting the big woods with no food plots the deer don't usually travel like they do in the SZ. They more or less just roam the woods and go where ever they please and not leave highly visible game trails.