St Regis Canoe Area, ADKs NYS

Otto

I have def enjoyed some time in the dacks. But that camping on the ground not for me anymore. Lol.  I like to go up there and spend the day in the woods but nothing like coming back to a dry cabin with a fire, a pot of warm food and a soft bed. 

Was hoping you would spy a moose up there.  Deer are certainly scarce in that area. 

52 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I have def enjoyed some time in the dacks. But that camping on the ground not for me anymore. Lol.  I like to go up there and spend the day in the woods but nothing like coming back to a dry cabin with a fire, a pot of warm food and a soft bed. 

Was hoping you would spy a moose up there.  Deer are certainly scarce in that area. 

So that's a no from you on Mason Lake.

1 hour ago, DirtTime said:

So that's a no from you on Mason Lake.

Lol. If it involves me laying on the ground at any point..last the very last time I tented and slept on the ground I woke up to a full blown stream you could stock trout in going thru the tent.

Mason lake is a pretty area though.  I've always eyed the are across from lewey lake too. Up near the inflow thought would be a nice spot to hunt. 

7 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Lol. If it involves me laying on the ground at any point..last the very last time I tented and slept on the ground I woke up to a full blown stream you could stock trout in going thru the tent.

Mason lake is a pretty area though.  I've always eyed the are across from lewey lake too. Up near the inflow thought would be a nice spot to hunt. 

I had to start using a cot about 9 years ago. I swear I sleep better on that in one of my tents then I do on my bed at home.

If you decide to hunt that area across from Lewey be careful, get a map and mark the boundaries. Part of that is The Siamese Ponds Wilderness and part of it's the Jessup River Wild Forest, and the whole area around Watch Hill is a strict no hunting zone in that area of Jessup.

1 hour ago, DirtTime said:

I had to start using a cot about 9 years ago. I swear I sleep better on that in one of my tents then I do on my bed at home.

If you decide to hunt that area across from Lewey be careful, get a map and mark the boundaries. Part of that is The Siamese Ponds Wilderness and part of it's the Jessup River Wild Forest, and the whole area around Watch Hill is a strict no hunting zone in that area of Jessup.

Oh wow. Didnt know that . Thanks. 

I actually bought a very small ultralight cot for this trip.  It weighs less than 3 pounds and folds up into a nice compact package.  When I set it up in my family room it was very comfortable so I was really looking forward to using it.  Unfortunately on uneven ground it is practically worthless, the legs pop off as soon as you lay on it.  I do plan to find one that will work but is small and light enough for a canoe trip.  We have too much gear as it is, if I have to leave something back, I can manage a couple of nights on the ground.  Once I found my position, it wasn’t too bad.  I do have a self inflating ground pad which helps a lot. 

11 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Oh wow. Didnt know that . Thanks. 

Not sure if this is sarcasm or genuine.

3 hours ago, Otto said:

I actually bought a very small ultralight cot for this trip.  It weighs less than 3 pounds and folds up into a nice compact package.  When I set it up in my family room it was very comfortable so I was really looking forward to using it.  Unfortunately on uneven ground it is practically worthless, the legs pop off as soon as you lay on it.  I do plan to find one that will work but is small and light enough for a canoe trip.  We have too much gear as it is, if I have to leave something back, I can manage a couple of nights on the ground.  Once I found my position, it wasn’t too bad.  I do have a self inflating ground pad which helps a lot. 

I use a cot with the rounded legs. It saves on the wear of the tent floor and a spare blanket will help even it up if the ground isn't level. Just roll or fold the blanket and put it under the legs in one side or the other.