Tracking and After the Shot Lessons Learned

crappyice

One big thing that Grampy wrote is to stay off the blood trail. It seems like every time I go to help someone trail, I have to hunt for blood almost the whole way because they walked right in it.

My best advice is to take your time. It is not a race. Always know where last blood is in case the deer circled back or turned off the trail. You can slowly circle the last blood until you pick the trail back up. Don't be afraid to take a couple minutes and study the woods in front of you, and off to both sides. If the deer is not dead, lots of times it will be bedded to the side waiting and watching. You may get a kill shot if you can spot it before it bolts.

• Like 1

Awesome stuff! I’m also always amazed at how long it takes to walk 100 yards in the woods when tracking scarce blood. I thought for sure the deer I was tracking the other night went 250 yards easy. But with the up and over and twists and turns and sporadic blood it just took me a long time to cover what was probably only about 125. Didn’t realize how close I was from
My tree until I backed tracked at a fairly regular pace after hutting to gather my stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I also agree with what several others said about the more eyes the better. Next time you shoot a deer 3.8 miles from my house, call me [mention=327]crappyice[/mention]!

Thanks buddy…definitely would have called for help if I had to back out.

• Like 1

One final thought for tonight: I actually find it easier to find blood using a flashlight at night than in the regular daylight. Maybe it’s because my focus is just on the spotlight or the blood shines different from flashlight beams.
And for the love of all things holy, the trees that produce the leaves that are yellow and streaked with blotches of blood red should be eradicated!!!!!!

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, crappyice said:

One final thought for tonight: I actually find it easier to find blood using a flashlight at night than in the regular daylight. Maybe it’s because my focus is just on the spotlight or the blood shines different from flashlight beams.
And for the love of all things holy, the trees that produce the leaves that are yellow and streaked with blotches of blood red should be eradicated!!!!!!

Sunny days are the worst.  Give me overcast any day.  

• Like 2

Lots of excellent advice here from experienced trackers.  I agree with everything Rob suggested.  I have been involved with at least a hundred archery track jobs for myself and friends/family.  This is not advice but just an observation.  Assuming that the archery hit deer has not been pushed for at least a hour, they will generally bed within a hundred-two hundred yards if mortally hit.  When tracking a deer that has not bedded within that distance we have recovered very, very few deer.  And we are persistent.

• Like 3

Great topic.

#1. Chill. Relax. Wait for awhile. Keep a calm focus. Repeat.

2. Survey the situation and think smart. You're 95% of the way there. Don't muck up the last part by being in a hurry.

3. Bring a weapon! To finish the job if need be. If their head is up when you find them shoot them again. No, don't stab them with a knife. 

4. Max 2 people on a track. Another set of eyes is always best. One finds blood, the other marks the last spot and scans.

5. See #1.

Edited by Enigma
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, crappyice said:

On this note, I find that an old flashlight light (non led) works better. Also a duller led works better than the super bright ones. The Super bright ones seem to wash the smaller dots of blood out. IMHO!!

• Like 2

c4bddba3b4d9b65d17d1db2886da5f1f.jpg

Here’s a great “hit chart” I look at immediately after I can no longer see a hit deer. Grabbing the coordinates of the entrance coupled with the distance of shot and height up a tree may give a decent idea of what was hit on the inside.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@chrisw

I don’t want to clutter the “Live thread” so thought I’d ask some more curiosity questions here
Looks like shoulder as it seems pretty high up that stick.
What did you hear on impact? Loud crack?
Did you see the arrow hanging out from entrance side?
ab96102bcc839f64fa87275058336ef7.jpg
Where do you think you entered? Exited?

Hoping any help we can give can give you some answers/guesses or some comfort?

[mention=5688]chrisw[/mention]

I don’t want to clutter the “Live thread” so thought I’d ask some more curiosity questions here
Looks like shoulder as it seems pretty high up that stick.
What did you hear on impact? Loud crack?
Did you see the arrow hanging out from entrance side?
ab96102bcc839f64fa87275058336ef7.jpg
Where do you think you entered? Exited?

Hoping any help we can give can give you some answers/guesses or some comfort?

My best estimate is 6C, no loud crack, just a real solid, hard thump, arrow was hanging out entrance side as he ran off. Penetration certainly was a concern from what I saw.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

6C/7C is most likely. Maybe it was higher than I remember seeing? Definitely a large portion of arrow hanging out as he ran off but I could not find it.

From a tree stand?
Smart to leave it at this point…hoping it clipped a lung and he gives up tonight

6C/7C is most likely. Maybe it was higher than I remember seeing? Definitely a large portion of arrow hanging out as he ran off but I could not find it.

From a tree stand?
Smart to leave it at this point…hoping it clipped a lung and he gives up tonight

I hit a nice 8 point in the shoulder blade about 20 years ago, that I had rattled in.  He came in with his hair standing up, very alert and looking for a fight.  I drew and released, stupidly aiming for center lung,  from about 25 yards away, and 15 feet above.

He ducked upon my release, taking the arrow square on the shoulder blade with very little penetration.  I waited 1/2 hour, then found very little blood and was not able to follow it much over 100 yards.

Three weeks later, a very good friend, who lives less than a mile from that spot, killed that buck with her shotgun.  The arrow wound (125 gr 3 blade Muzzy was used but not found) was almost completely healed, with just a medium sized scar over the shoulder and no lost meat.  

If you did hit that shoulder blade, I think that buck has a very good chance of making a complete recovery.  

• Like 1

Ok I'll add my recent experience. 

November 2nd unit 1C public land. 

Mid-high 40s in the morning in a clearing in some thick stuff near bedding. 

Doe comes in quick and have very little time to react but now I know the trail. 30 min later a very nice buck comes in. No time to count points but I saw the antler height and it was a shooter so I grab my bow, hook release, stop the buck perfectly broadside and make a 20 yard shot through the lungs mid body. Donkey kicks and takes off. Im shaking with excitement and adrenaline shortly after. Take down my stand so I can give him some little time. White fletching pink but by this time is 55 degrees and blood on arrow is dried up. Start looking for blood and nothing. I start to panic, is it liver, guts? Grid search for blood begins. Go farther and farther from arrow and still no blood, begin to fill with dread. Finally 50yards from the arrow I find a little drop with some bubbles. I continued to follow a very sparse trail of blood but there was bubbles so I was hopeful but the whole time I was doubting my shot placement. Finally after twists and turns through thicket I found him. Line distance on ONX was 98 yards so he ran well over 100 yards with a great double lung shot. 

Edit: I was about 12-15 feet up so not very extreme angle. 

IMG-6344.jpg

Edited by vmals
  • Like 7

As previously stated, always bring tracking tape especially if you’re searching next morning.
Also, I’ve learned the hard way - unless you see him drop - WAIT! Don’t rush. Amazing how far they can go when pushed! Just harvested one on property - heart shot & saw blood, mule kick, etc… didn’t go down for nearly an hour and 1/2. She went 25-30 yards if that.

Close to 30 years ago 2 of us did a little mini drive. I was the watcher. As soon as I pulled the trigger I knew I had messed up. I could see intestines hanging out as it disappeared into the brush..

This was before I knew better and we began tracking immediately. (1st lesson always wait at least 6 hrs)  . The only bed we encountered was 100yds from where I shot him.  If we hadn't of tracked immediately he would have probably been there.

My friend,(who ended up my FIL) had taught me everything about hunting and tracking and we had up to that point always found our deer no matter how poorly hit.

We started at 9:30 that morning and had to finish him off by flashlight at 6:00 that evening 1 mile from where we started..

He taught me that until they want to lay down or at the very 1st 100 yds they will for the most part follow trails and routes they are familiar with.

We would go 100yds on our hands and knees at times before picking up a speck of blood. Sometimes you would crawl 100yds and not see anything. We would back out and start on another trail. Invariably we would find another speck. 

Another time  a friend shot a buck at point blank range also messed up and shot guts and back leg..

This was an evening hunt. We went back the next day and started tracking employing similar techniques. So much for not pushing him this deer went on a measured 1 1/2 mile run leaving space blood and the occasional piece of bone behind.. we ended up on an open water swamp at least 100yds across..

We came close to giving up there. We didn't and found a beaver dam to get the other side. Lucky for us there was a steep hill just across the swamp and the 200# 8 point didn't have the strength to make it up. That is where he died. He had been dead for some time when we found him , so we knew we never did push him. Crazy animals.

If all else fails perseverance pays off.. 

Or a dog. lol. if that's an option I would go that route..;)

• Like 1

Ok I'll add my recent experience. 
November 2nd unit 1C public land. 
Mid-high 40s in the morning in a clearing in some thick stuff near bedding. 
Doe comes in quick and have very little time to react but now I know the trail. 30 min later a very nice buck comes in. No time to count points but I saw the antler height and it was a shooter so I grab my bow, hook release, stop the buck perfectly broadside and make a 20 yard shot through the lungs mid body. Donkey kicks and takes off. Im shaking with excitement and adrenaline shortly after. Take down my stand so I can give him some little time. White fletching pink but by this time is 55 degrees and blood on arrow is dried up. Start looking for blood and nothing. I start to panic, is it liver, guts? Grid search for blood begins. Go farther and farther from arrow and still no blood, begin to fill with dread. Finally 50yards from the arrow I find a little drop with some bubbles. I continued to follow a very sparse trail of blood but there was bubbles so I was hopeful but the whole time I was doubting my shot placement. Finally after twists and turns through thicket I found him. Line distance on ONX was 98 yards so he ran well over 100 yards with a great double lung shot. 
Edit: I was about 12-15 feet up so not very extreme angle. 
IMG-6344.thumb.jpg.4110bfd7bdde2eb84a9852b3adb68d89.jpg

See that’s the part that freaks me out …great shot and little blood. I surprised you didn’t see more spray from the mouth/nose with an shot like that.

As previously stated, always bring tracking tape especially if you’re searching next morning.
Also, I’ve learned the hard way - unless you see him drop - WAIT! Don’t rush. Amazing how far they can go when pushed! Just harvested one on property - heart shot & saw blood, mule kick, etc… didn’t go down for nearly an hour and 1/2. She went 25-30 yards if that.

I SUCK at waiting even though I know it’s the right thing to do..let me just find one more speck of blood, just over that knoll, maybe down that gulley…I’d be so much better off if I just make it a rule to walk my climber back to the car (away from last sight) and return with an clear head.

• Like 1

I SUCK at waiting even though I know it’s the right thing to do..let me just find one more speck of blood, just over that knoll, maybe down that gulley…I’d be so much better off if I just make it a rule to walk my climber back to the car (away from last sight) and return with an clear head.

Agree. It’s difficult but there is no Damn alternative. Unless you drop them, I wait. Lost the biggest buck of my life In Illinois bc I pushed him & it’s never gonna happen again.