Lack of Deer Sign in my normal spots

Northcountryman

Hey Guys , I noticed last weekend while scouting that , overall , there was a general lack of deer sign in my normal haunts ; this included tracks , runs scrapes , scat , etc. You name it - I wasn’t seeing it !! Surprised and dismayed me because I’m concerned that perhaps the Local  deer population may have taken a hit for whatever reason. Anyone seeing the same thing as me out there ? 

We have a shift in movement in our area as well. I am attributing it to the poor acorn crop on the property this year., normally the place is covered in nuts, nothing this year. I moved the cameras. closer to known bedding areas and travel routes to a neighbors food plot. Bingo.

1 hour ago, Don_C said:

We have a shift in movement in our area as well. I am attributing it to the poor acorn crop on the property this year., normally the place is covered in nuts, nothing this year. I moved the cameras. closer to known bedding areas and travel routes to a neighbors food plot. Bingo.

Same here, not much for acorns has the patterns changed up drastically.

I noticed the same thing, up here up in the NW corner of the Adirondack park.  My first day up, I checked out a spot where I have always found scrapes and rubs during early ML week, and nothing there this year.  Tracks in the sand vollyball courts, at the edge of the summer camps, were less than normal also.

I have been staying out of that hot spot until opening day of gun on Saturday.   Hopefully, the local bucks are just off to a late start this year.  

There is now one less mature doe on the opposite end of the ridge anyhow.  Hopefully, there are still a few over there on the end where the most scrapes usually show up.

FA5051EA-3D26-4912-B8ED-70D52F24A368.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1