Who’s taking doe ?

WNYTRPR

I got one in the freezer so they walk. If I didn't they fall!

Buddy also hunting property will drop one if he gets the chance. 

Probably about all the property could handle for the year. Not that many deer here to take too many.  

Plus my plan was to hunt hard later bow season this year and try to get a decent buck off this property in bow, xbow and first week of gun.   

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

I'm with the rest of the crew.....between work and family I am not passing an opportunity that happens to walk by.
I can pass on a small buck but the properties I hunt have a healthy doe population and taking a few out of the mix won't hurt a thing.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have no plans to shoot does on this property this year. New property and from the pics I've gotten all summer, I don't think I have enough does around to spare. With the few does there are, they only have 2 single fawns between them. Never seen anything like it. I can only assume coyotes... 

Edited by Cabin Fever

One doe (early ML) and one bb (early antlerless gun) for me so far.  I could use my either/or tag far another doe up north, but she would have to show in the next hour and I wouldn’t kill her then, even if she was standing broadside at 10 yards.  That tag is reserved for an antlered buck at home (or an Adirondack 6 point or better if he shows in the next 15 minutes).

I still have 1 dmp available for home (wmu 9F) and I plan on picking up 2 more when they become available after Nov 1).  I could use one more in my freezer and I would donate the other 2 if they show up.   I would (attempt) to kill them at my earliest convenience, after sz crossbow season opens.

I always see more antlered than antlerless deer around home after November 6, so I don’t expect to fill any of those last 3 dmps any time soon, but I will certainly try if given the chance.

I do have high hopes for the Holiday ML season however, assuming Erie county gives it a go.  My corn plots are looking great this year and so are the turnips and winter wheat.

Edited by wolc123

This weekend and next are probably the last days I take a doe until gun. It also depends on the stand. I have a few that are near fields, easy drags just drive the truck right up if all goes well. In some of the deeper stands I'd be less likely to take one and even less likely to take one at night at a stand deeper in the woods. 

All that said, it could be 11/9 and if I get a slam dunk, low impact to location shot at a doe and it's clear there aren't bucks in toe, I'd take it. I've done this before. Even drove the quad up to her and gutted her back home to reduce the disruption.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

I have no plans to shoot does on this property this year. New property and from the pics I've gotten all summer, I don't think I have enough does around to spare. With the few does there are, they only have 2 single fawns between them. Never seen anything like it. I can only assume coyotes... 

I'm having the same experience. Last year, I had herds of does on my property - I counted 11 on opening day of gun. This year, I've seen two all year.

There was so much snow last winter that they took shelter under the overhang of my tool shed and filled it with scat. I've never seen that in ten years. 

With pending shortages of goods food etc. looming , I’m going to fill tags this year, I would feel a lot better if I knew I had a bunch of canned venison and a bunch sitting in my freezer in the next few months .

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, rob-c said:

With pending shortages of goods food etc. looming , I’m going to fill rags this year, I would feel a bunch better if I knew I had a bunch of venison sitting in my freezer and canned . 

I usually catch about 100 beaver  a year, they are actually much tastier than deer.

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Like 1

One is in the freezer already, but don’t have a problem harvesting another one. I would be happy to fill all my tags with the bow or crossbow. Plus the Dec thinks we are not harvesting enough doe. If we don’t harvest enough does dec will make the whole month of September early gun season :( 

Edited by WWJD_Hunter