Opinions?

Swamp_bucks

So a friend hit a buck we are going after tomorrow am.  He was 13ft up buck was down hill another 10ft. Slightly quartering to him. Said buck ran stopped then walked off. He didnt hear a crash. 1hr later a doe took the same route and where he last was spotted she stopped snorted and took off.  

I think he got lung, liver and possible guts. Arrow is sticking out both sides.

What do you think he hit and possible dead deer?  Attached is a picture of where he thinks he hit it.

31896.jpeg

Weather looks good down there tonight SB. No rain n cold so no worries there. +1 on letting him lay up for the night. 

Tough call on the shot. He's surely bleeding internally from a clipped blood vessel or going septic. He'll probably be stiff as a board tomorrow morning when you find him. Keep us in the loop!

Edited by Enigma

My hope is he clipped a main artery somewhere and it died quick. Luckily his exit from stand was the opposite way and scent never blew his direction so I'm hoping 1st or second bed. He has an obligation at 10 so we are going in the dark 530am. That'll give it 12hrs to expire.  I'll keep everyone posted on the track and what we find.  Going to be tough with that high of an entrance. He didnt see where the arrow was sticking out the other side so I'm hoping it's low so blood comes put easier.

10 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Any blood trail at all?  I would look the first 30-40 yards and see if any blood info. 

But that deer should be dead by morn. 

No he didn't even go to the arrow impact. Just got down and walked out.  We would love to wait until a little later but he has somewhere to be by 10 if we don't find in the am he's going back after he's done with whatever it is he has to do.

My opinion is gut based on shot placement and reaction by the deer.

If he didn’t get bumped or chased by coyotes you’ll find him in the morning. If there is no blood trail to follow and it ends up in a grid search look for water for the deer to be by. A gut shot all they feel is a burning sensation and they seek water water to lay in to “cool off”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

No he didn't even go to the arrow impact. Just got down and walked out.  We would love to wait until a little later but he has somewhere to be by 10 if we don't find in the am he's going back after he's done with whatever it is he has to do.

I shot one high and back this week.  Stepped away for a couple hours then.figured I would check the first close area for blood. Found a good blood spot and trail then the deer 150 yards away.  I bet you find him in the morn. Just hopefully coyotes don't. Gut shot deer they tend to find cause of the smell easier. 

IMG_20211019_202059675.jpg

IMG_20211019_204916650.jpg

• Like 1

My guess is liver gut shot, with that slightly quartering to angle. Since he was undisturbed, he probably bedded within 150 yards of where he was shot.

Good luck on the recovery. He did exactly what I would have done. When in doubt back out. Pushing a deer hit like this, really cuts the odds of recovery. 

• Like 1

Well not good. We tracked steady bloody for 500 yards. We found no beds no sign of guts being hit. Blood was bright red the entire time. Never jumped him at any point. Being 12hrs after the shot he should of bedded atleast once and never did.  Last spot we found was at a rub that looked like he had rubbed it as he walked past it.

Sounds like the usual high, over the spine, back strap shot that many think passed thru a mythical non-fatal void below the spine.  

if somebody gets him in the next couple weeks, they will loose s chop or two, but he will likely recover ok from that hit.