243 Win for Deer

eagle rider

I live in Cayuga County, New York, where centerfire rifles became legal for deer for the first time this season beginning on Nov. 17. This morning I got a 75 yd. shot at a big mature doe. I was using my Remington Model 700 in .243 Winchester. I put the shot right behind the shoulder and she flinched, walked 10 yds. and dropped dead. I hd some reservations about using this gun as some other hunters told me it was "kind of light for deer." I was using 95 gr. Hornady SST Superformance factory rounds. I love this gun as it has very light recoil compared to the shotgun slugs I was used to using in the past. I will be carrying this gun for deer hunting from now on during the firearms season. I have no reservations about it now.

I live in Cayuga County, New York, where centerfire rifles became legal for deer for the first time this season beginning on Nov. 17. This morning I got a 75 yd. shot at a big mature doe. I was using my Remington Model 700 in .243 Winchester. I put the shot right behind the shoulder and she flinched, walked 10 yds. and dropped dead. I hd some reservations about using this gun as some other hunters told me it was "kind of light for deer." I was using 95 gr. Hornady SST Superformance factory rounds. I love this gun as it has very light recoil compared to the shotgun slugs I was used to using in the past. I will be carrying this gun for deer hunting from now on during the firearms season. I have no reservations about it now.

Nice job man.

My opinion is that a 243. caliber weapon is not to small at all for a deer gun. I've heard people asking and talking about using much smaller caliber weapons.

I have a 700 6mm rem. Passed down from gramps. We both have taken a pile of deer with it. I have never had to track more than 50yrds. The big buck i got last year was a pass through the shoulders. Definately enough "knock down", definately enough to kill, definately not the biggest rifle out there. The rifle is a tack driver, i feel confidence in a shot over caliber size is the way to go.

243 is fine for deer. The swedes have been using a round comparable to the 260 to shoot moose for years and years. I've shot plenty of deer with a 223 and never had a problem and thats even smaller. I punched a doe in the chest with my 270 that ran almost a 100 yards even though its heart and lungs looked like a grenade went off. I have had the 270 drop other deer with the same shot on the spot. If you have the mentality that bigger is better use a 50 cal BMG that will stop'em :spiteful:

• Like 1

I killed another one with the 243 yesterday in PA. 80gr Barnes TTSX, 3400fps. 215 yard shot. He was probably 150lbs dressed.

The 243 is just dandy for deer.

I have been thinking of trying the lighter bullets in my 6mm for deer-size game. How do you like the 80 gr. Barnes in your .243? Do you get complete penetration with that bullet? Just curious.

Thanks

I have been thinking of trying the lighter bullets in my 6mm for deer-size game. How do you like the 80 gr. Barnes in your .243? Do you get complete penetration with that bullet? Just curious.

Thanks

The one on Monday in PA. was in & out and now resides in the Tioga County turf. The one in the link bellow is in my hand as the post notes. Stem to stern, probably 40" on drilling before it ran out of gas............<grin>

I'd say that the 80gr Barnes works for me and will probably work for you!

I was at the local gun shop yesterday looking at rifles. I had a savage axis in 243 in my hands. Loved the feel even though the trigger pull is a little heavy, but workable. I ordered one in 7-08. I wish I had just grabbed the 243. Would have been fun getting reloading stuff for a new caliber. Maybe I will get the 243 if I really like the 7-08

• Like 1

Shot placement is all it is I have hunted with most of the calibers in this post the remington 243 I use a hornady 100gr vmax the 7m08 same hornady my 270 , 308 and 3006 I use belive it or not I use 145 to 165gr remington corelock these rounds have never let me down I know there are alot of folks that love them BUT my least favorite one is my remington 308 seems as every time I have shot a deer with it they run weather its 50foot or 5miles they have ran just an old rednecks point of vue lol

My father gave me his .243 when he stopped hunting. He has taken a quite a few deer with it. He told me that there was only 1 time he took more than one shot with that gun at a deer. He said he shot once and it just stood there so he thought he missed an shot at it again it stood there for a couple seconds and dropped. He recovered both round from the heart.

I haven't shot as many with it but the three I have shot didn't travel more than 5-10 yards.

I found the same model as my .243 a couple years ago in 30-06 I bought it. The 30-06 sits in the safe because I know what the .243 will do and I have confidence in it.

I have thought about trading in the 30-06 for a newer upgraded .243 but I have also thought about trying the 7mm-08. But my fathers .243 will never go anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I haven't taken the time to read all of this lengthy thread so please forgive if I'm being repititous. A 243, 223 357,etc. will take deer just fine. IMO, the issue here is the fallacies that have somehow transgressed into "fact ".

1-a bad shot is a bad shot no matter what cartridge is used.

2-there is no requirement for a bullet to pass through to be effective

3-having a deer run a bit in the few seconds it takes to die is the norm

4-I have no desire to shoot a deer at a poor angle as I don't want to waste any meat or be reasonable for a slow agonizing death .

Be ethical and you will have a short follow up.

• Like 2

I was at the local gun shop yesterday looking at rifles. I had a savage axis in 243 in my hands. Loved the feel even though the trigger pull is a little heavy, but workable. I ordered one in 7-08. I wish I had just grabbed the 243. Would have been fun getting reloading stuff for a new caliber. Maybe I will get the 243 if I really like the 7-08

Theres a 7-08 Axis for sale in the classifieds. I talked to the guy and it only has 7 rounds through it. Just an FYI.

Well I got my shot at a buck today with my Remington Model 700 in .243. Buck was coming at me through a swamp and I let him come in to my shooting lane. Buck was at 40 yds. and I put the crosshairs right behind the shoulder. At the squeeze of the trigger the buck dropped dead right there. I again was using Hornady 95 gr. SST Superformance factory ammo. Glad I did not listen to my friends who told me that a .243 was kind of light for deer. Proof is attached.post-885-0-89271900-1354668593_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Well I got my shot at a buck today with my Remington Model 700 in .243. Buck was coming at me through a swamp and I let him come in to my shooting lane. Buck was at 40 yds. and I put the crosshairs right behind the shoulder. At the squeeze of the trigger the buck dropped dead right there. I again was using Hornady 95 gr. SST Superformance factory ammo. Glad I did not listen to my friends who told me that a .243 was kind of light for deer. Proof is attached.post-885-0-89271900-1354668593_thumb.jpg

Well done! Toldyaso...........<grin>

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Lets all agree on one thing..... SHOT PLACEMENT is the absalute key. We know that a 243 will kill a deer. That round has the ballistics to do so, well. I personally prefer a larger round for myself. I am an experience hunter and shooter. I can handle recoil. What it all boils down to is what rifle can the shooter shoot most accuratley? Whatever it might be, that's the rifle to use.

That is why i'm buying my son a 243 this summer to prepare him for his first deer hunt this fall. I want my son to be comfertable shooting this rifle and shooting it a lot at my range. I belive he will be able to shoot a 243 better then, lets say a 270. I know there are other cal's in between, but i think this will be the best for his light 11 year old body.

Plus it will double as his coyote gun. Now when he gets older and more experienced and a larger frame on his body, i expect he will choose a larger cal rifle for whitetail hunting and i will be able to pass that rifle down to his sister(3 years younger).

I have always been a fan of the smaller, faster, flatter bullets myself. I do a lot of hunting where there might be some longer shots on a buck. I don't want totell my son that he should have a bigger cal just because"the bigger cal leaves more room for error". This should not be the thought process when selecting a rifle. The thought proccess should be, what cal can i most effectivly target a bucks vitals with? And from there, you must stdy ballistics and practice, practice, practice! Like i said before, SHOT PLACEMENT IS EVERYTHING.

Edited by SomervilleSlayer