243 Win for Deer

eagle rider

I agree shot placement is everything. I've was on a track for a 308 wounded deer that was a 1/2 long. The shooter swore he made a good shot,.... Not so much. This 243 doesn't have the terminal energy of 30-06 or 270 WSM, which is mostly what I have used my whole life for deer. I bought his rifle because I got an awesome deal on it (Savage 14),.... I always wanted one. I put quality glass on it and I really like the way it shoots. I'm 44 and in 16 yrs I plan on retiring to South Carolina. The 243 is a cult fav down there for Low Country deer and hogs. I have always and I'll continue to only take quality shots that put deer on the dirt. I don't see that changing. With the right loading the 243 poison pill should do just fine. When I get around to it I will post a pic of the rifle. All that said, when I'm deep in the swamps, I will prob hunt with my 35 Rem. but in the opened hardwoods it will be the 243 all the way.

• 4 months later...

Love to resurface this.

Looking at picking up a bottom barrel .243 for deer in Wayne Co. Been eyeing the Axis line as well as maybe the Ruger American line.

Would love to try a .257 but the ammo cost is so enticing for .243 and the ability to easily double for k-9s should I get the fever.

Not so much interested in the caliber discussion as I am in feedback of low-end rifles outside of the 770 which I won't buy.

Love to resurface this.

Looking at picking up a bottom barrel .243 for deer in Wayne Co. Been eyeing the Axis line as well as maybe the Ruger American line.

Would love to try a .257 but the ammo cost is so enticing for .243 and the ability to easily double for k-9s should I get the fever.

Not so much interested in the caliber discussion as I am in feedback of low-end rifles outside of the 770 which I won't buy.

My understanding of cartridge history is that the 257 was quite popular until the 243 came along with slightly better ballistics and edged it out.

Don't know what you consider to be low-end, that's a bit subjective, but Savage makes a good rifle and the Accu-trigger is excellent.  Have you considered hunting for a used rifle?  You may get lucky if you're patient.

No, not a TC owner.

I'm not that high-class.

Oh don't give me that...lol. Might want to consider looking for one new or used. Not that much more than the ones you are talking about and then you are in a different caliber or ML with just a barrel change. If you really want to step up your game you can use it as a pistol

Currently I have the ML barrel, 223 and the pistol barrel in 308. Next up is a 308 rifle barrel and a .22 or .17 pistol barrel. You are welcome to take any of them for a spin over at Roch Brooks if you want.

I really wanted a 243 barrel for it but I already have to 308 set up for reloading so just doesn't make sense.

I have shot the savage and I have heard good reports on the Ruger as well. Doc just bought a new rifle last year and I think he got he Ruger. I don't know that I have seen a report on it from him.

Are you considering used?

I may consider used, although I find most used options have wood stocks, and I'm simply not a fan of wood stocks unless they are the laminate kind.

I prefer synthetic either way new or used.

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that if I don't find something suitable in the near term.

Edited by phade

I may consider used, although I find most used options have wood stocks, and I'm simply not a fan of wood stocks unless they are the laminate kind.

I prefer synthetic either way new or used.

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that if I don't find something suitable in the near term.

HEATHEN !! I suppose you like high powered variables with great big fat objectives, too !!

I'n going to go fondle a nice walnut stock and a high quality fixed power scope and then take my nap..

Youth today !! I'm COMIN' Lizbeth !

• Like 1

Love to resurface this.

I got a TC venture and it is a tack driver. I like it :)

I'd say savage but I'd spend a few extra dollars on getting a model 110 over a axis the accu trigger alone is worth it. My buddy has a axis 06 and I have a 110 .243. He cut his trigger spring for a lighter pull and I still think mines at least a pound lighter pull

Shot placement is key!  How about waiting for a good shot, improving shooting skills and hunters ability to stalk for a better shot or have the patience to let deer go if no good shot is available.  The more you ability as hunter improves the more likely you will lower your weapons standards...   

EX: If a 22 or a bow can kill a deer then we know any other more powerful weapon will work.  In the right hands...  And proper distances...

My 44 Mag and Mathews work fine for me yet according to many they would be considered light...  I usually do not get shots more than 70 yards...  Both weapons are effective at that range.  50 yards and closer being my optimal range with both weapons on uneven ground, free hand.  308 and 30-06 for long range work for me...  30-06 preferred

243 is a great round for any area in NY. 

Going to use a classic this year with a 30-30, another underrated round that has probably killed more deer than any other round...  Looking forward to some epic journeys in the big woods of the great ADK forest!!!  Getting my bow form back, can't wait for opening day!!!  HUNTING!!!

I gave up on TC, accuracy with the Encore was disappointing. Sold it to a guy at my job with the 243 barrel, 30-06 barrel and the 50 cal barrel. I did get a Savage 10 American Classic in 243. Its relly nice. Very acuate. I really don't want to take it in the woods and ding up the walnut. Someone talk me into it, lol

Edited by eagle rider

I gave up on TC, accuracy with the Encore was disappointing. Sold it to a guy at my job with the 243 barrel, 30-06 barrel and the 50 cal barrel. I did get a Savage 10 American Classic in 243. Its relly nice. Very acuate. I really don't want to take it in the woods and ding up the walnut. Someone talk me into it, lol

Those little dings are " honorable scars"...They give the gun character.

Actually, most marks on firearms come from carelessness in transportation.

Keeping your gun a soft case while traveling to and from your hunting spot does a lot to avoid dings, rub marks, etc.

I have a walnut stocked Remington 1100 that I bought in 1980 and carried thousands of miles deer and turkey hunting, raised into trees, climbed over deadfalls, yada, yada, and it still looks almost new.

I transport behind the seat of my truck, in a soft case.