Drinking in the stand

WNYTRPR

I knew alot of people, most of whom have passed on, who would take a stand with a nipper flask. Can't say I ever recall a safety incident due to this, nor can I recall where I thought someone was inhibited. Seemed to be generational as that died out somewhere between my Dad and Grandpa's generation, at least in my circle. I remember brandy and schnapps being the choice of the day back then.

Now, I do recall people drinking after the hunt is done in camp/club, and paying the price the morning after. Some of them probably woke up with a higher BAC than the guys taking nips.

I distinctly remember getting blasted on the evening of the last hunt of the season, with a big dog push planned in the AM. It was the night McGahee had his knee blow out in the college championship. Card game went to 12-1ish and the 4:30 wake up call was a great lesson for me. Never repeated that in deer camp ever again. That last morning hunt was hell on earth.

I generally won't have a third beer at night if I am going hunting the next morning, and normally never make it to the second beer. I get too pissed off at wasting a hunt now. Now, a summer hunting work party...we got all day/weekend.

• Like 2

I haven't really had to make a choice since I developed an age-onset alcohol allergy - one beer and I'm okay, but the second beer makes my head explode. But even beforehand, I limited myself to a couple of drinks after a successful hunt, or after a particularly grueling one. I'm on board with alcohol and firearms not mixing, ever. And if anybody wants to make a go of climbing into what we've termed, "The Nosebleed Stand" drunk, I will video it.

I'll be the odd guy out I guess... Now I'm in no way condoning drinking while hunting and no I do not do it. But some of the above reactions like you would rather see someone push your grandmother down the stairs than to have a beer in the stand is ridiculous. So it's so dangerous to have a beer or two and hunt? How many of you guys have drinks at your get togethers then hop in your car and drive home?? I bet most. That isn't as or more dangerous? You're fine with that? Want to compare the odds of a "drunk" hunting accident to a "drunk" driving accident? Again, I'm not saying it's fine, or you should drink while hunting but the same guys who think it's a cardinal sin probably do it then drive around town also... Food for thought. Flame on.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I'll be the odd guy out I guess... Now I'm in no way condoning drinking while hunting and no I do not do it. But some of the above reactions like you would rather see someone push your grandmother down the stairs than to have a beer in the stand is ridiculous. So it's so dangerous to have a beer or two and hunt? How many of you guys have drinks at your get togethers then hop in your car and drive home?? I bet most. That isn't as or more dangerous? You're fine with that? Want to compare the odds of a "drunk" hunting accident to a "drunk" driving accident? Again, I'm not saying it's fine, or you should drink while hunting but the same guys who think it's a cardinal sin probably do it then drive around town also... Food for thought. Flame on.

I agree ,my thing was more plastering it on social media,we have enough people against us ,dont need to give them more ammo .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

100%.  I’ve been to get togethers with people on this forum who all drank responsibly and then drove home.  No disrespect  to anyone, but sitting in the middle of the woods, by yourself, away from other humans is wayyyyyyy safer than having a beer and then getting behind the wheel.  Not saying either is good, but a car is exponentially more lethal than a firearm.  Moral grandstanding is what the liberal left does.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisw said:

I think the issue with what you're saying is "a beer". I rarely have 1 beer when I do drink. So say I want to enjoy somewhere between 3-15 beers, how do I bring them into the woods? I love cold beer, but hate warm beer. so now I gotta pack a cooler? I'm scared to drink coffee the mornings before I hunt because of scent, so beer in the woods seems just as risky. 

• Haha 1

I think the issue with what you're saying is "a beer". I rarely have 1 beer when I do drink. So say I want to enjoy somewhere between 3-15 beers, how do I bring them into the woods? I love cold beer, but hate warm beer. so now I gotta pack a cooler? I'm scared to drink coffee the mornings before I hunt because of scent, so beer in the woods seems just as risky. 
I don't think even a heavy drinker is going to lug a case of beer to their stand. It was mentioned that having any alcohol in your system while hunting warrants a super high risk factor yet all of us at some point have driven when we certainly shouldn't have and some still do. Growing up, before I was old enough to hunt my father would race home from work, throw on a jacket and grab his 30-30, put a beer in each pocket and we'd go down behind the house and sit in an elevated blind until dark. I saw no real risk in that and still don't. Having a beer or two and being shit faced are two different things. The point is that everyone online seems to think they have to appease what everyone else is going to say and before you know it there's 15 guys all agreeing that a beer while you hunt is deadly. Give me a break, coming from people who also drink and drive. How many people have 5-6+ beers while out fishing for the day? A lot. Is that really risky also?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I don't think even a heavy drinker is going to lug a case of beer to their stand. It was mentioned that having any alcohol in your system while hunting warrants a super high risk factor yet all of us at some point have driven when we certainly shouldn't have and some still do. Growing up, before I was old enough to hunt my father would race home from work, throw on a jacket and grab his 30-30, put a beer in each pocket and we'd go down behind the house and sit in an elevated blind until dark. I saw no real risk in that and still don't. Having a beer or two and being shit faced are two different things. The point is that everyone online seems to think they have to appease what everyone else is going to say and before you know it there's 15 guys all agreeing that a beer while you hunt is deadly. Give me a break, coming from people who also drink and drive. How many people have 5-6+ beers while out fishing for the day? A lot. Is that really risky also?

I agree 100% with what your saying. I just don't do it because of the scent & movement. but I do fishing or target bow shooting.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

I agree 100% with what your saying. I just don't do it because of the scent & movement. but I do fishing or target bow shooting.
I'm not a big drinker so I have no reason to either. But would I care if someone I knew was hunting with me and had a beer or two? Nope.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2021 at 3:22 PM, Water Rat said:

Never mix alcohol and firearms.

Honestly I'd be more worried about slipping, tripping or whatever while climbing down. It's not that 2 beers makes me tipsy but it does cause me to think less when I should be thinking and concentrating more. 

beers come after the deer is in the back of the truck for me.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey

You only rent beer so that's less time hunting because taking care of that in a stand is a major effort and not without movement.  I don't drink coffee hunt mornings either for same reason.

The guys and girls at our camp drinks lots of beer.  It's part of their hunting.  It happens at night when it's dark and you get to hear the stories about the big one that got away as the fire illuminates the ones hanging on the hoist.

In this current society that gets the majority of it's firearms information from a media that portrays them as nothing but evil the last thing we need is the perception that projects when there's a hunter with a beer and a gun that's "hunting". 

But I will agree the traffic leaving any NFL game is likely far more dangerous 

I once saw a hunter standing about 100' from our house. I went over to remind him that he was too close to the house to be shooting. When I got there, I saw that he was wobbling around. His eyes were the worse shade of blood-shot that I have ever seen. His speech was so slurred I could hardly understand him, and he was resting the barrel of his shotgun on top of his boot. He was totally bombed out of his mind and was a clear danger to himself and anyone around him.  He mentioned that he had a son hunting with him and pointed to another hunter at the far end of the field. I walked him over to the guy and we agreed that this guy should be home instead of out with a gun. They both headed out to the road where their car was parked.

This idea that the woods is a good place to be drinking is really no joke. I know that this guy could easily shoot someone or himself. He figured he was fine. fortunately his son agreed with me and took his gun and him back to their car.

That was the worst case that I had ever seen, but pink-faced, red-eyed hunters are not really all that scarce. Scares me to death to be out there hunting in the same woods with them.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, heavuser said:

No reason to drink or smoke while I hunt, all my senses need to be on point. Would think any other logical hunter would feel the same. Dulling the senses while trying to kill something just seems stupid. 

What's even worse is logging in here while hunting and then reading the political section of the forum. Talk about dulling the senses.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Honestly I'd be more worried about slipping, tripping or whatever while climbing down. It's not that 2 beers makes me tipsy but it does cause me to think less when I should be thinking and concentrating more. 
beers come after the deer is in the back of the truck for me.

So you’ll drive home after a beer but not be in the stand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1