210" Ohio Buck

BizCT

I think the real takeaway is that they have the right ground in between two farms that cover 1.5 sq mi that don’t allow hunting.
That’ll age up deer quick. Lifetime buck right there.

Definitely second that. I seek out places that don’t allow hunting and work backwards to find the closest access. Some of my best spots are small lots that look like dog shit from an aerial map but are right next to big chunks of land with no hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, TheHornHunter said:

Definitely second that. I seek out places that don’t allow hunting and work backwards to find the closest access. Some of my best spots are small lots that look like dog shit from an aerial map but are right next to big chunks of land with no hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We take a similar approach. We have once piece that has literally one hangable tree on it in a finger jutting from the woods, lol. But it borders no hunting property. Our other is the first huntable parcel outside of a village. Trade yuppies/antis though instead of hunting pressure, for that one.

The right spot makes all the difference even in the same general area.  I have close to 90 acres surrounded by heavily hunted land and zero crop fields.  I have maybe 1/2 dozen deer that use it regularly and very rarely  a buck past 1 1/2. That's why I spend most of my time on public land 

My buddy lives up the rd a 1/4 mile and sees an average of 10-20 deer(and some nice bucks) any sit in any of his 3 food plots on his 60 acres..

He is bordered by 400 acres of land closed to hunting and backed up to another big chunk of quality crop land.(soybeans,corn,andalfalfa)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@ncountry you have to eat a lot of passed deer to change the mindset and expextation of the heavily hunted ground. That said you're right. People that only have access to public land think having private land is this magic bullet to great hunting. In reality it can be more pressured than tracts of public land and have less if an age structure.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

[mention=895]ncountry[/mention] you have to eat a lot of passed deer to change the mindset and expextation of the heavily hunted ground. That said you're right. People that only have access to public land think having private land is this magic bullet to great hunting. In reality it can be more pressured than tracts of public land and have less if an age structure.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

This is a fact. Hunters pressure limited private tracts way more then most public land. They go to the same spots and the same stands over and over …it doesn’t take long for deer to avoid those properties during day light and even at night, especially if there is unhunted spots in their home range. Deer sightings follow a pattern of diminishing returns, the more you hunt it the less you we see.