Snort Wheeze as an attactor call ?

Northcountryman

Just reading my latest Game and Fosh issue and was reading an article about calls - author states that a snort wheeze can be An effective attractor call in certain situations . I thought that was a warning / distress call !! When could you ever imagine that call working to actually draw a buck closer ? Anyone ever use it that could explain ? 

• Like 1

I think the snort wheeze is when a buck is telling another buck get ready for a fight if you don't leave. One of those calls you use as last resort if you can't get a bucks attention. That is a big bucks attention. 

Edited by First-light
  • Like 2

It can be a challenge issued to another buck. I did that a couple years ago to one that clearly was gonna pass me by. I grunted first and he didn't care,but the snort wheeze had him on a string. Worked too good really as he came straight for me and stood head on at 20 yds.

• Like 4

Pulled in my PA buck on the 18th with it, he came in from 250 yards, watched him make 3 scrapes and he was PISSED. What you're referring too is a deer "blowing"- that a. clears the deer's nose out to smell better, and B, alerts other deer. A snort wheeze is much quitter and is an sign of aggression. 

My 10 point 2 years ago made a snort wheeze right in front of me when two other small bucks were around. 

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 1

Just reading my latest Game and Fosh issue and was reading an article about calls - author states that a snort wheeze can be An effective attractor call in certain situations . I thought that was a warning / distress call !! When could you ever imagine that call working to actually draw a buck closer ? Anyone ever use it that could explain ? 
Possibly confusing it with a "blow"? Hop on the YouTube and watch some videos with actual bucks snort wheezing, it may not be what your thinking. I am a big fan of the wheeze, but only when it's the last option.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Possibly confusing it with a "blow"? Hop on the YouTube and watch some videos with actual bucks snort wheezing, it may not be what your thinking. I am a big fan of the wheeze, but only when it's the last option.

Golly the English language is so confusing! “Blow” has so many beautiful meanings - this is not one of them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

i have heard a snort wheeze once while hunting.  A doe was being chased around by 2 bucks.  An 8 point chased off a 4 point and the 4pt stopped running about 40 yards away from him and he gave him a snort wheeze. Great day of hunting even though i never got a chance at a shot.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

It can be a challenge issued to another buck. I did that a couple years ago to one that clearly was gonna pass me by. I grunted first and he didn't care,but the snort wheeze had him on a string. Worked too good really as he came straight for me and stood head on at 20 yds.

Cool- so, how did you make the call? 

9 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Yes, probably, because when I think of a "snort wheeze", I'm thinking of thst distress/alarm call they make- bucks and does alike, mind you- when theyre alarmed, amd its sort of a warning to other deer that danger approaches.  Weve all heard it , im sure, at one time or another while traipsing thru the woods and kick up a deer along the way.

• Like 1

I killed my 2014 buck using that in conjunction with a decoy. He couldn't see the decoy and was walking way so I grunted and he stopped. Snort Wheeze and he became interested and ultimately found the decoy.

I can recall a few bucks that turned inside out and boogied and a few that responded positively. A few wouldn't stop for a grunt series but did for the wheeze before moving on. I do remember one buck doing it back to me a few times. That was fun, but he never came out of the brush. That was peak chasing or breeding I think. I know I use it more as a last ditch call rather than a first one; maybe I should switch that around.

I've only heard it maybe 10 times naturally occurring unprovoked and most of them were not in NY. Could be age structure / ratio related, maybe. I also can't recall hearing it outside the main phases of the rut. 

My hunting partner shot his buck last season with a snort wheeze call. Three bucks came out of a bedding area and started splitting up. One broke toward him 100 yards out and he snort wheezed. That buck went from a standing still to a jog in on a string and stopped for the shot perfectly.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Cool- so, how did you make the call? 

Not sure how others do it. But I put my top teeth on my bottom lip, and blow three times phhff.... phhff....phhffffff.

Drawing and holding out the last part.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

I spooked a Missouri buck last weekend with a grunt. His uncertain body language should have cued me to the fact that he wouldn't likely respond with aggression or interest to my call. I'd save all the toys for peak rut and even then use sparingly.

Where in MO?

I tried the snort wheeze last year as a last resort on a buck that was tending a doe but moving slowly away from me. Got him to turn and look in my direction, but he would not commit. Might have worked better if there was brush that could have concealed a potential rival, but it was fairly open......and I probably sounded like an asthmatic cat, rather than a buck,, so there's that.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I've kept a lone buck from waking away but never drew them back in. Any time I've heard it was from a buck chasing where the doe wouldn't stand. Never with two bucks going at it. I've heard it from tiniest yearling buck too. I learned and only started using it because it came as part of my promos buck roar call.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 1