Culver Trapping 2021

Culvercreek hunt club

Well with the season opening yesterday we were back at it. 28 sets made between 9:30 and 3:00 pm. Fingers crossed that the weather gets better. We dodged the rain to get the sets in but it's rained ever since. We opted to use the waxed sand we made rather than the peat moss. We new it would be fairly warm but the wax sure does help hold the sets better with the rain. 

We are trying to find an old LARGE chest freezer. One that isn't working. We are toying with the idea of setting up a colony of beetles to process the skulls from the line and hopefully some deer skulls. So if anyone knows of one laying around, let me  know. 

I'll post pics and highlights from the checks and sets. None from yesterday because it was balls to the wall to get the two properties set up in the time we had. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 6

Will be following along. Took and passed my at home trapping course last year so I am gonna try my hand at trapping for a few different animals this year. Really hoping to get two raccoons so I can process them and have them made into caps for my boys.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Checks last week were very slow with the 5.5" of rain at the properties. Rebaited on the Saturday checks and got the first canine of the season Sunday morning. 34.6# male. everything is a muddy sloppy mess right now. Based on the one camera pic there should be a fox waiting for the check this AM. 

1.1.jpg

2.2.jpg

2.jpg

IMG-3889.jpg

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 8

Pipe Dream sets for both of the catches today. Must have been early morning catches since there were almost no catch circles. Partner had to walk to the set the fox was in becasue of the mud and not wanting to tear up the farm road. He had to wake the fox up to get it to stand. Sound asleep. Hopefully the cooler drier weather keeps them moving.  Yes that is SNOW on the ground. 

3.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, rachunter said:

Nice machine and catches. I’m up at my house now getting things ready mostly going for raccoons this year, but there has been a gray fox on my cams lately.
Is that a homemade adjustable stretcher?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those adjustable stretchers were bought. Mainly so I could get a pattern. I have lumber milled up and all cut and shaped for a couple dozen of Coyote and fox/coon.  They sure are nice but I like the ones with a center board so there is something nice to pin the tails to. 

• Like 1