Hunting Land In Or Near Saratoga County NY - Will Pay

IronBucks

22 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Thats what i was going to say. Daketown state forest and up by lake desolation are both very close.....

Yep. There's also Benson which isn't more then an hour really. An hour and a half and you have Siamese Ponds, Jessup River, West Canada Lake........................

I was driving my wife to a Dr appointment last week and noticed Daniels Road State Forest in the Greenfield area. It looks like hunting is allowed there as well. I don’t know much about it. 
I have never seen it mentioned anywhere, not like Daketown at least, so maybe it’s a well kept secret….

https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/104708.html

Edited by Splitear

Thank you all so much for the replies! I’ve never hunted public land before. I am an Uber safe hunter and I have always feared sharing hunting grounds with people that I don’t know are as committed to safety as I am. With scarcity of access to private land around here maybe it is something I need to start exploring. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IronBucks said:

Thank you all so much for the replies! I’ve never hunted public land before. I am an Uber safe hunter and I have always feared sharing hunting grounds with people that I don’t know are as committed to safety as I am. With scarcity of access to private land around here maybe it is something I need to start exploring. 

I’m the same way. I grew up hunting private land in Illinois, and the thought of navigating public land when I moved out here was a big concern and deterrent for me. I was fortunate enough to get permission to hunt a small patch of private ground last year, so I still haven’t had to cross into that arena. An option is to download an app like HuntStand or even get a plat map, look-up landowners and make some cold calls. 

11 hours ago, Splitear said:

I was driving my wife to a Dr appointment last week and noticed Daniels Road State Forest in the Greenfield area. It looks like hunting is allowed there as well. I don’t know much about it. 
I have never seen it mentioned anywhere, not like Daketown at least, so maybe it’s a well kept secret….

https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/104708.html

I have driven Daniels Rd a bunch of times and never noticed that sign before until yesterday. I pulled in and looked at the map. There were 5 cars in the parking area. Can't say for sure but looked like they were mostly trail walkers. I have seen tons of deer on Daniels Rd...

26 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I have driven Daniels Rd a bunch of times and never noticed that sign before until yesterday. I pulled in and looked at the map. There were 5 cars in the parking area. Can't say for sure but looked like they were mostly trail walkers. I have seen tons of deer on Daniels Rd...

Maybe the sign is new? We always take that road to get to her appointments and I didn't notice it until last week.