A venison favorite.

G-Man

This is my favorite recipe and have it for my birthday every year,, you won't regret making these only that you didn't make sooner

Stuffed venison backstraps. Super simple and super delicious.

Slice a backstrap in half for two good sized portions. Then carefully cut meat (like a jelly roll) so that it is somewhat flat. Place meat on wax paper, cover with plastic wrap and flatten meat with a mallet. Set aside.

Filling is two blocks of softened cream cheese, six bulbs of freshly chopped garlic, fresh cracked pepper, and three to four finely diced jalapeno peppers. Spread on meat and cover with shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese. Roll meat length wise like a jelly roll. 

Wrap backstraps in bacon (I prefer to make a bacon weave) and smoke over wet hickory chips for 30 minutes. Then finish over hot lump charcoal, about five minutes per side, until bacon begins to crisp. Glaze backstraps with a pastry brush during final five minutes.

Glaze consists of eight ounces of seedless blackberry jam, two shots of bourbon, fresh cracked pepper and a tbsp butter. Heat in small sauce pan and whisk until jam has liquified. Feel free to add more bourbon if not strong enough for you. I prefer to use Knob Creek Smoked Maple Bourbon for a delicious taste.

Take backstraps off the grill and let rest ten minutes to let cheese come together so they won't be runny. Slice and enjoy quickly because these won't sit around for long! Serve with remaining glaze too!Screenshot_20211026-201331_Facebook.thumb.jpg.e868331eb942bfd2bf6ea26c513d2813.jpgScreenshot_20211026-201422_Facebook.thumb.jpg.d8c2cccec2267082657db42a621e0d04.jpgScreenshot_20211026-201436_Facebook.thumb.jpg.5885cb7f2f0d3f41d0221ec82fec3527.jpgScreenshot_20211026-201448_Facebook.thumb.jpg.cbbdbb20017a71deb4a6a09a667e027b.jpg

• Like 25

Looks and sounds tasty.  An old girlfriend back in the 80's had a chicken breast recipe that you stuffed the breasts with cream cheese with chives and onions then wrapped in bacon.  Baked in the oven for 30-40 minutes.  Delicious but really rich!!

9 hours ago, crappyice said:

Cool recipe…have you considered doing that with some muscle groups from the hind quarter as opposed to backstrap?

Backstrap gets nothing but salt and pepper and maybe some caramelized onion for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can do it with any roast. But back straps are easiest.

2 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

Sounds and looks delicious! Does the inside of the jelly roll cook through enough? Whenever I try something like this, the inside tends not to cook while the outside risks getting over cooked. 

The trick to fixing this issue is to make sure the ingredients are at room temp when you go to cook it.  If you pull it from the refrigerator and throw it on the heat it will do as you say.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

You could do it with an old shoe also.  Eating everything BUT the shoe…..

Stick with the back strap!!

A sirloin roast would work as weĺl but thicker so would need to adjust cooking time as its thicker 

Cool recipe…have you considered doing that with some muscle groups from the hind quarter as opposed to backstrap?

Backstrap gets nothing but salt and pepper and maybe some caramelized onion for me.

I’m glad you said that because I was going to. You said it more eloquently than I would have

9 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Al’s younger sister ?

She was one of my old gf’s but no, another Clarence Center gal…..I better not post her name here though.  Her mom worked at Mosher’s (or was it Fogelsonger’s (sp?). ) And her father was a bus mechanic for the Clarence bus garage.  Had a brother named Mike……

Ha, do you know yet??

Edited by Lawdwaz