Daytime predator hunting in Stewart State Forest

Hello,

I am a Rookie predator hunter looking for any information and tips on daytime hunting for coyote , fox, bobcat in Stewart Preserve.  I have an e-caller and the proper gear. I am hoping to get some first hand and accurate info.  .Not looking for tips on how to hunt them I'm more looking on information particularly pertaining to Stewart Preserve such as locations and set ups.

Thank you in advance and Happy Hunting. 

12 minutes ago, Todd that's right..Todd said:

Hello,

I am a Rookie predator hunter looking for any information and tips on daytime hunting for coyote , fox, bobcat in Stewart Preserve.  I have an e-caller and the proper gear. I am hoping to get some first hand and accurate info.  .Not looking for tips on how to hunt them I'm more looking on information particularly pertaining to Stewart Preserve such as locations and set ups.

Thank you in advance and Happy Hunting. 

Maybe I read this wrong but are you asking guys to give up their spots? I’m sure I read that wrong but if not that’s a huge “rookie” no no. Guys spend years accumulating spots by putting in time and effort so don’t be discouraged if nobody coughs up a spot. If they do chances are they’re just having fun with you

• Like 2

I understand where you're coming from but I didn't mean it like that...  I guess it came across wrong  I 'm more or less interested in past experiences and if people have been successful  there during the daytime. I'm also traveling a few hours to get there so I do have my spots  but not so much boots-on-the-ground scouting.. so just some info to see if it's worth it to travel up there beforehand

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Todd that's right..Todd said:

I understand where you're coming from but I didn't mean it like that...  I guess it came across wrong  I 'm more or less interested in past experiences and if people have been successful  there during the daytime. I'm also traveling a few hours to get there so I do have my spots  but not so much boots-on-the-ground scouting.. so just some info to see if it's worth it to travel up there beforehand

I’m actually kinda in the same boat. Thinking of bringing the dogs there to pheasant hunt and I have no idea where to and also probably a 2 hour drive so I feel your pain

While I know some are fond of hunting at Stewart, I wouldn't drive 10 minutes to hunt at Stewart, especially since NY made the opening of deer bow to coincide with the Oct 1st Pheasant, Grouse and Rabbit small game hunting seasons.

Just not enough room there.

Edited by Shoots100

7 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

You hit the Nail right on the Head!

There are only 79 Parking areas.And Stewart is probably  near the Top or #1 as far as a Pheasant Hunting Destination in New York.

Since 2015 when the Bow Deer Season moved all the way back to October  1st- Stewart is even more Crowded...

That is why,I wrote the Thread in Region 3,I believe- " Parking Wars At Stewart-- Bow Vs Pheasant Hunters".

Todd should hunt those Predators at Night .

I agree, but it's shotgun only and still has the same parking restrictions as daylight hunting.

Most night vision and thermal aren't rated for shotgun recoil.

I would go in the daytime and do some recon before traversing the area at night.

12 hours ago, Todd that's right..Todd said:

Cynthia,  you seem a good amount of experience and time spent in Stewart. What is your educated estimation of populations of coyote fox and bobcat in Stewart?  Bottom line are they plentiful or scarce?

I appreciate your time ,

Thanks.

I have shot 1 Coyote.  Never seen a bobcat there. I have seen some foxes but not in a year or 2