Wet basement , uggggg

luberhill

33 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

The so called American Dream is to be a home onwer.....fung that......the headaches never end!

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Agree ,,, I end up working all day , then blowing , shoveling snow at my house and the old folks across the street.

Then mowing , raking leaves , cleaning gutters all summer and fall .

Couple that with working on everyone’s stuff in the neighborhood , I’m just tired ..

I want to be able to grab the wife and dog and take off and not worry about water I basements , snow melt , gutters , all the other crap .

My buddy leases a townhouse and he said he loves it ..

Not sure I’ve always owned my own house … but it’s getting old real fast ..

This fall I spent 2k to have 2 cracks filled in my basement . Carbon  fiber  patches  and injected epoxy . Life time warranty/ guaranteed. 

I'm still clearing back snow around the house about 6 feet. Have done it for all the time I have owned the house . Only have ever gotten  a small puddle but it was enough .

6 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

This fall I spent 2k to have 2 cracks filled in my basement . Carbon  fiber  patches  and injected epoxy . Life time warranty/ guaranteed. 

I'm still clearing back snow around the house about 6 feet. Have done it for all the time I have owned the house . Only have ever gotten  a small puddle but it was enough .

Growing up building I was taught that gutters and foundations can fail but proper drainage cannot. It's often overlooked but minimums and code based designs of footers and drainage are often times built to fail. Owning a home on flat ground, or worse at the bottom of a grade is really tough situation to deal with. Engineers and archtects look great on paper.... 

A great investment to prevent water in your basement is to over build deep footers and make sure surface water has a good place to exit. 

• Like 1

My leaking is coming from the seams on a channel they made to divert water to the crock's.today its pretty good with these cooling temps.tomorrow I'm sure it'll start over again.grabbed 2 tubes of loctite concrete non sag.may try to get a bead on it today,if doesnt work due to lack of dry time I'll do it again next dry spell.gotta try somethin!!!

20220219_141146.jpg

• Like 1

When I went down to the basement yesterday am , we had almost an inch of water in most of the basement . Tried ti figure out where the problem was ...... When we put an addition on our house , we had a basement added under it . The guy that did the basement broke into the plastic pipe that goes to the sump pump crock . Sediment gets into it and clogged the pipe . I hooked up a hose with a gadget attached to the end and cleared the obstruction . It was like flushing a toilet . Took a few hours to get it back to almost normal . Ran a fan for a few hours and got things pretty well dried up . Glad we use plastic storage totes instead of cardboard boxes . 

Even though the sump pump is working okay , I think I will replace it before going on vacation just to be safe .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

When I went down to the basement yesterday am , we had almost an inch of water in most of the basement . Tried ti figure out where the problem was ...... When we put an addition on our house , we had a basement added under it . The guy that did the basement broke into the plastic pipe that goes to the sump pump crock . Sediment gets into it and clogged the pipe . I hooked up a hose with a gadget attached to the end and cleared the obstruction . It was like flushing a toilet . Took a few hours to get it back to almost normal . Ran a fan for a few hours and got things pretty well dried up . Glad we use plastic storage totes instead of cardboard boxes . 

Even though the sump pump is working okay , I think I will replace it before going on vacation just to be safe .

Ugggg … I almost wish I didn’t have a basement 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, doebuck1234 said:

My leaking is coming from the seams on a channel they made to divert water to the crock's.today its pretty good with these cooling temps.tomorrow I'm sure it'll start over again.grabbed 2 tubes of loctite concrete non sag.may try to get a bead on it today,if doesnt work due to lack of dry time I'll do it again next dry spell.gotta try somethin!!!

20220219_141146.jpg

Sucks , seems like you plug up one spot and it just pushes it elsewhere..

Why is it even leaking in now ?? I didn’t think we had that much rain ..

Mine was just a spot along my front wall about 2ft long and I soaked it up with a towel ..

Im wondering if I should put in a crock.

We are selling as soon as we find a place .

Kinda thinking of someplace with an HOA and I pay a fee per month and they take care of lawn and snow removal .

Then we can travel it maybe buy a camp up north etc .

Im tired of constant maintenance 

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

What about the furnace ? Did it stay dry 

8 hours ago, Kmartinson said:

Growing up building I was taught that gutters and foundations can fail but proper drainage cannot. It's often overlooked but minimums and code based designs of footers and drainage are often times built to fail. Owning a home on flat ground, or worse at the bottom of a grade is really tough situation to deal with. Engineers and archtects look great on paper.... 

A great investment to prevent water in your basement is to over build deep footers and make sure surface water has a good place to exit. 

Yea but what about if your house was built in the 50s 

1 hour ago, luberhill said:

Sucks , seems like you plug up one spot and it just pushes it elsewhere..

Why is it even leaking in now ?? I didn’t think we had that much rain ..

Mine was just a spot along my front wall about 2ft long and I soaked it up with a towel ..

Im wondering if I should put in a crock.

We are selling as soon as we find a place .

Kinda thinking of someplace with an HOA and I pay a fee per month and they take care of lawn and snow removal .

Then we can travel it maybe buy a camp up north etc .

Im tired of constant maintenance 

Not just the rain but the last two snow storms.first one we got 18" and the other 8-12".combine that with 40-50 degree warm up and rain.perfect mix for water leakage.

12 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

I suggest when you can start digging. Big deep drainage with lots and lots of gravel and black perforated pipe taking it as far away as possible.

Ha I’m moving , let someone else deal with it if it happens again .

Ive never had standing water only seepage a couple times and a shop vac or towels sucked it up

But instill say basements are a PITA

• Thanks 1

Just finished gutting my basement today. Thursdays warm up and melt down if 20+inches of snow combined with the rain left us with 3” of water in the basement when it was all said and done. The sump pump never gave up but couldn’t keep up with what was coming in. Looking forward to rebuilding a new office and my wife wants a craft/painting room. Gotta stay positive! 21 years here without any issues…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_2637.jpgIMG_2635.jpg

Not just the rain but the last two snow storms.first one we got 18" and the other 8-12".combine that with 40-50 degree warm up and rain.perfect mix for water leakage.

My brother and sister in law in Batavia had the worst flooding in their basement they have ever had Thursday. They spent all day Thursday and Friday cleaning up the aftermath.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Don_C said:

Just finished gutting my basement today. Thursdays warm up and melt down if 20+inches of snow combined with the rain left us with 3” of water in the basement when it was all said and done. The sump pump never gave up but couldn’t keep up with what was coming in. Looking forward to rebuilding a new office and my wife wants a craft/painting room. Gotta stay positive! 21 years here without any issues…

IMG_2637.jpgIMG_2635.jpg

You’re a better man than me . I’d give up on finishing it and paint the floor and put everything on blocks.

Uggg now it’s supposed to warm up Tomorrow and rain Tuesday then back below freezing

Are we going to have a repeat ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Don_C said:

IMG_2637.jpgIMG_2635.jpg

What area are u in ?