A Deers greatest sense:Sound or Smell ?

Northcountryman

Deer can literally smell time, like dogs.

I can't fathom sound being more important to a deer's defense mechanism than smell. I try to be open to other perspectives but this general scenario, I just can't even get close to thinking sound is more important.

8 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

What do you guys think of the sneakiness factor in terms of sound? I know Ive mentioned this before, but being right before the opener for rifle, thoguht I'd resurrect again.  A guy who taught me alot about deer hunting about 10 yrs ago- my Guru, if you will- told me once that when you are going into your stand in the aearly am in the dark, dont try to "sneak" too much, as it puts the deer on high alert.  Dont try to be noisy either, he said, just walk normal, like a hiker, cuz if you try to be quiet, it scares the bejesus out of em.  And since your walking in the dark, you cant really be THAT  quiet anyway, you might as well just get there ASAP the best you can.  What do you think of that assessment?

I rake 100 yard path to my stand after leave fall lest last 100 yards be as quiet as possible

6 hours ago, phade said:

Deer can literally smell time, like dogs.

I can't fathom sound being more important to a deer's defense mechanism than smell. I try to be open to other perspectives but this general scenario, I just can't even get close to thinking sound is more important.

I've seen see leave woods in high winds as woods is to noisy and they are uncomfortable they will enter field with wind at back and use eyes ..   they can't hear they are extremely uncomfortable..   they will use their nose to verify what they hear or see . 

I think sight trumps all of them.

I put zero effort now into scent control and I have had so many deer walk happily downwind of me near my stand on so many occasions, with zero reaction. These deer are potentially used to smells of people living in a rural (but not desolate) area, but at least the ones I've seen go from upwind to down they just don't care. Just because deer's smell is incredible doesn't mean they key off everything weird as a threat. 

I've had a vanishingly small number of deer look directly at me because I moved, they pause to continue looking, and they subsequently forget me and continue on. It's happened but it's rare; they either leave immediately or they do the head-jerk around thing for 10-15 minutes seeing if I'll move again--meanwhile I have no chance in the world of taking a shot because they are staring the whole time.

Edited by Core
  • Like 2