Are You in the Rut Yet??

Gobbler Chaser

I’m not even seeing any rubs or scraps yet in my area on 9m. From what my cams are telling me big boys are still on the night time movement and the little guys are the only ones I’m getting say pictures of . But those day pics are around 4-6 pm. The rut is usually right around the start of gun season for us anyways.

13 minutes ago, Cory said:

I’m not even seeing any rubs or scraps yet in my area on 9m. From what my cams are telling me big boys are still on the night time movement and the little guys are the only ones I’m getting say pictures of . But those day pics are around 4-6 pm. The rut is usually right around the start of gun season for us anyways.

Agree , I’m seeing bucks at night but NO rubs or scrapes , and no activity on my lock scrape 

Its getting going here, saw a decent 8pt buck with a doe last night while driving to get my kid from basketball and taking him to school saw another decent 8pt on a mission. I also have 2 fawns alone in my hedgerow the last 2 days while moms out ho’ing it up somewhere.

In th southern edge of 8H there has been plenty of scraping, fighting and chasing going on. It seemed to pause for a couple of days with the flooding rains but back up and running now. Had a half hour of grapple pelting me just after 1:00 but conditions are great now. About 40 and light wind out of the south. 

16 hours ago, doebuck1234 said:

As of yesterday..Not much here in 8g.some rubs and scrapes but seem they arent getting freshened frequently. One small spike bumpin a doe but not much interest, nighttime buck pics o plenty.hoping thia cold snap makes a stellar weekend coming up.

8G also... over the last week I have found 7 new scrapes but only one rub

From a camera check in Central Vermont I would say that bucks are covering more ground, for sure.  Finding a few active scrapes.  Cameras are still showing 90% of buck movement is at night and I don't have a picture of anything older than 1.5.  I would call all this pre-rut activity.  I'm hoping it turns on soon.  Then again, our rifle season starts in 10 days.  If they want to wait until then to start chasing I can add 300ish yards to my effective range.

Not been hunting since september but this week I've seen bucks around my backyard (rochester area)--at least two distinct ones. Activity has been absolutely highest I've ever seen it as of a week ago, even though this is very limited anecdotal observation. Seeing these all through the day.

On the 10th I saw two different mature bucks roaming during mid day in 4-H. My hunting partner and his daughter saw three different bucks chasing doe last evening. Seems as of last evening, the chasing phase of the rut is going full swing in the hilltowns of Albany county.

Been a very different year as far as deer movement for us. They are not anywhere near the places we have traditionally seen them, this time of year. But are mostly staying very close to thick cover. I have cameras out that have barely gotten a deer picture in weeks.

Very interesting hunting season so far for us. We are rolling with the changes, and trying to get close to the deer where they are, not where they've been. We ARE getting closer.