Anyone ready

Gobbler Chaser

I have been looking forward and getting ready for opening day Saturday, of southern zone crossbow season, for many months now.  I made 3 important deals, with key players over the last 5 days, which ought to clear the way for me to spend about 75 % of that day hunting.

First, I have yet to complete my annual roof maintenance, and leaf raking, which entails going up there on a ladder and cleaning the gutters, installing electric heat strip to prevent an ice dam over the woodstove, and brushing out the chimney.   These project got delayed because the leaves are taking their time to drop this year.

Deal number 1: Last Friday, my boss asked if I could work second shift this week.  I agreed to do it Wednesday thru Friday.  I couldn’t do it Yesterday (see deal 3). That cleared 3 weekday mornings at home, which should provide plenty of time for me to complete those projects.

Deal number 2: On Saturday night, during a Halloween party at my niece’s house, my father asked if I could put the chains on his tractor to get it ready for plowing snow.  I had planned on crossbow hunting at their place Saturday anyhow.  That job will extend my “lunch with the parents” a bit,  but should still give be at least 75 % of the daylight hours, in the woods.

Deal Number 3:  My wife and I were up in the stands for our daughters conference championship field hockey game last night.  She is the senior captain of her team.  They were playing their arch rivals, who had beat them for the championship on each of the previous 3 years.  

My wife was quite nervous, and an announcement came on , saying the winning team would play the first round of the state championship, on opening day Saturday in Rochester.  Obviously I wasn’t thrilled with that announcement.

What came next was a welcome surprise.  My wife said that “if her team wins, I won’t make you go to the game”.   Then and there, I sent up a prayer that our daughter’s team would win, and that no one would get injured during the game.

The Good Lord came thru, just as He always has, when I asked Him for a favor.  Her team dominated most of the game and won by 3 goals.  She even scored the last goal, which really sealed the fate of their opponents.   

I see the Braves (my favorite baseball team) did well last night also.  This is similar to what the opponents fans looked like after she scored that last goal:

24045FAA-6627-4DD9-AFC9-82C7E8FBC646.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I might hold off on the xbow for a little bit. Shoulder is feeling ok, but every leaf cleanup I get done, it gets a little worse. If it gets too painful to pull the bow back, the xbow is sighted in and ready to be deployed. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mowin said:

I might hold off on the xbow for a little bit. Shoulder is feeling ok, but every leaf cleanup I get done, it gets a little worse. If it gets too painful to pull the bow back, the xbow is sighted in and ready to be deployed. 

Speaking of shoulders, a buddy is supposed to be stopping over to pick up some barn siding from me this morning.  

The cash that he agreed to pay  for that ought to be plenty enough to pay for a shoulder mount, should that become necessary for me this year.  

My son and I took our Crossbows out the other day and made sure they are On Target ! I took a neighbors kid (15) out yesterday to zero in his Grandfathers older scoped 30-30 (side eject) and after 8 shots its On Target ! I took one shot with my old 30-30 -Iron Sights - and she's On Target ! Yup me and Mine are Ready !

• Like 2

I will randomly switch between my compound and CB, depending on how my right shoulder feels that particular morning. I prefer to carry my bow. But have no issues at all taking the crossbow either. Once full inclusion is passed, it will likely be my #1 choice. 

• Like 5

I shot  my bow yesterday here at home and always shoot one FP before I get down , shoulder is pretty good right now ! So I’ll use my compound as I prefer it to the Xbow in most ways .

Oh I may bring it out here and there , as , well I paid good money for it , perhaps on a cold morning when I’m in bulky clothes and my shoulder may not be 100% ,well it’s never 100% ….

• Like 3

I have been looking forward and getting ready for opening day Saturday, of southern zone crossbow season, for many months now.  I made 3 important deals, with key players over the last 5 days, which ought to clear the way for me to spend about 75 % of that day hunting.
First, I have yet to complete my annual roof maintenance, and leaf raking, which entails going up there on a ladder and cleaning the gutters, installing electric heat strip to prevent an ice dam over the woodstove, and brushing out the chimney.   These project got delayed because the leaves are taking their time to drop this year.
 Deal number 1: Last Friday, my boss asked if I could work second shift this week.  I agreed to do it Wednesday thru Friday.  I couldn’t do it Yesterday (see deal 3). That cleared 3 weekday mornings at home, which should provide plenty of time for me to complete those projects.
Deal number 2: On Saturday night, during a Halloween party at my niece’s house, my father asked if I could put the chains on his tractor to get it ready for plowing snow.  I had planned on crossbow hunting at their place Saturday anyhow.  That job will extend my “lunch with the parents” a bit,  but should still give be at least 75 % of the daylight hours, in the woods.
Deal Number 3:  My wife and I were up in the stands for our daughters conference championship field hockey game last night.  She is the senior captain of her team.  They were playing their arch rivals, who had beat them for the championship on each of the previous 3 years.  

My wife was quite nervous, and an announcement came on , saying the winning team would play the first round of the state championship, on opening day Saturday in Rochester.  Obviously I wasn’t thrilled with that announcement.
What came next was a welcome surprise.  My wife said that “if her team wins, I won’t make you go to the game”.   Then and there, I sent up a prayer that our daughter’s team would win, and that no one would get injured during the game.
The Good Lord came thru, just as He always has, when I asked Him for a favor.  Her team dominated most of the game and won by 3 goals.  She even scored the last goal, which really sealed the fate of their opponents.   

I see the Braves (my favorite baseball team) did well last night also.  This is similar to what the opponents fans looked like after she scored that last goal:

24045FAA-6627-4DD9-AFC9-82C7E8FBC646.thumb.jpeg.adf08cf6e0041d85989d991bbd1137be.jpeg
Just some food for thought.....

Can't say many of us on here would pass up a chance to watch our children play that regional round matchup........I realize you have been waiting months for xbow season but family always trumps deer season in my house. As you stated you will have plenty of time to punch a tag........this is a once and life time opportunity for her and her teammates and I am guessing she would love to look up into the stands and see her Dad proudly watching the game.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I got mine out and cleaned it up. I’ll be triple checking that it’s dialed in this evening. I’m chomping at the bit to get in the woods, as I have had some shoulder issues this year and haven’t been able to draw my bow comfortably. Have to get my hunting clothes washed and gear put together the next couple of evenings. I cant wait!

• Like 7

11 hours ago, wolc123 said:

My prayers that you get the tag filled and still make the game ;)

It can happen

18 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

My prayers that you get the tag filled and still make the game ;)

It can happen

Thank you and I mentioned that possibility to my wife.  I still need to help my dad get the chains on his tractor that day, so the deer (buck with more than 3 points on a side, doe, or button buck) would need to be killed before lunch in order for the plan to come together.

I will take along a clean change of clothes and she can pick me up on the way (my parents place is right on the way to the thruway).   5:00 start time for the game one hour drive to Pitsford high school.  The carcass can hang in the shade at my parents and I can pick it up on my way home.

One more deer will give us plenty of meat for the year and, being a nest hunter first, I am not overly concerned with what happens thru hunting season after that.  

I would put the odds of that plan coming together Saturday somewhere around 15 %, and my odds of killing a deer if I hunt till dark that day (and miss the game) at about 40 %.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 2:13 PM, mlammerhirt said:

Just some food for thought.....

Can't say many of us on here would pass up a chance to watch our children play that regional round matchup........I realize you have been waiting months for xbow season but family always trumps deer season in my house. As you stated you will have plenty of time to punch a tag........this is a once and life time opportunity for her and her teammates and I am guessing she would love to look up into the stands and see her Dad proudly watching the game.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

+1

• Like 2

Almost ready . I put my compound away and got out my CenterPoint 370 . Had to cut a piece of wood to take with me so I can cock the X-bow . The stirrup is too small for the toe of my boot to fit in it . I slide the board into the stirrup a couple inches , stand on the board and cock the X-bow . Works for me . 

• Like 8

22 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Almost ready . I put my compound away and got out my CenterPoint 370 . Had to cut a piece of wood to take with me so I can cock the X-bow . The stirrup is too small for the toe of my boot to fit in it . I slide the board into the stirrup a couple inches , stand on the board and cock the X-bow . Works for me . 

great idea

28 minutes ago, Engraver99 said:

ready now - good out to 30, probably more but thats the furthest I'd shoot. What a work out cocking that darn thing!

Get a crank, thats what i opted for since my left arm is out of commission for another 6 weeks.

I fully extended the stock and wedge it with my stomach and crank away. Ofcourse foot in the stirrup pushing down :)

Edited by suburbanfarmer

I am almost ready.  The only thing I am missing is my cider thermos (I left it up at the in-laws in the Adirondacks a couple weeks ago).  I asked my wife if she could pick me up a cheap one when she was out shopping today.  Hopefully she found something.  Cold cider just don’t cut it on a cold day.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1