Storing hunting clothes during the season

luberhill

I have a few different outfits , a black coverall I wear in my ground blind , camo bibs and jacket in my stands.

I keep them in my basement in a plastic storage hanging bag with the earth sent wafers .

But…. Once the seasons start I usually keep them in the back of my Jeep.

I hate spraying them right before putting them on with sent cover .

What do you guys do if anything ?

I have 4 totes in the bed of my truck that everything is in. 99% of the time everything but the bow/gun stays in the bed of the truck for the season then at the end of the season everything comes inside gets washed if necessary and put back downstairs in the same totes.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I have 4 totes in the bed of my truck that everything is in. 99% of the time everything but the bow/gun stays in the bed of the truck for the season then at the end of the season everything comes inside gets washed if necessary and put back downstairs in the same totes.  

Do you keep sent wafers in the totes 

And what if they are wet

Edited by luberhill

i have one of these and love it.  Also plugs into vehicle and can run it there on the way to hunting.  I generally "nuke" mine in between the am and pm hunt.  then after a weekend of hunting wash and hang everything out in my hunting shed.  But you could just put them back in the scent crusher bag each time. Scent Crusher Gear Bag

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Do you keep sent wafers in the totes 

And what if they are wet

No sent wafers but everything is washed in scent free detergent and I will spray with a cover scent before going into the woods. 

If things get wet or dirty then they are just put into the bed of the truck for the ride home, washed, dried and put back into the totes by the next day. 

I keep all hunting clothes in totes in the basement in the off season. I don't use scent wafers, but will add in a bunch of oak leaves and acorns, or feed corn. I keep them in the totes pretty much year round. A few weeks before the season starts I'll wash them and then hang them on the kid's playground for a week or so, and then back in to the totes they go. If I get rained on, I'll hang them outside again when i get home so they can air out.

Everything is washed in scent free soap. Kept in individual totes, down in my hunting area of the basement, with a couple handfuls of dried leaves stuffed into a few small cloth bags tossed into each tote. (More natural smell than the scent wafers I think. And more for my own benefit than scent control.) I have seven very large totes, holding different things, based on how warm or cold it is, and for various gear too.

While hunting, everything I'm wearing is in the back seat of my truck, or in the covered bed.

In between hunts, stuff is put back in the totes, or hung up to dry in my shed or basement.

Wash when I think it needs it. 

I do try to keep my hunting stuff free from the most obnoxious smells like gasoline, and other strong odors. But I'm not overly protective on scent control. As I think paying strict attention to wind direction while on stand, is much more important.

• Like 1

I drive back and forth in my hunting clothes , except for my coat . When I get home I go into the basement and dump it in a pile , except any wet stuff , which gets hung up or tossed in the dryer .

Heres the annual “ how I store my clothes pic “

9D534A4D-7A66-419E-AD79-92B9C1CEC130.png

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I keep mine outside under a covered  porch. They get washed in borax and baking soda a couple times. Then I will sent spray them.

I never spray just before I go out I always have them sprayed and then give them time to dry.

They just stay outside all the time out of the sun.

12 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I drive back and forth in my hunting clothes , except for my coat . When I get home I go into the basement and dump it in a pile , except any wet stuff , which gets hung up or tossed in the dryer .

Didn't realize I used the Nomad method of scent control!

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

Didn't realize I used the Nomad method of scent control!

You can have the old scraggly cat to complete the process. Should have grabbed it yesterday, she throws up most nights ,it adds a nice 3D like image to the camo . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I turn the covered porch into the hunting lodge this time of the year. Hang the clothes and keep all the gear out there. Wash in scent free detergent and use earth scented dryer sheets. The biggest problem I have is remembering to shake things out before putting them on. Damn stink bugs get in everything.

Havent washed in years.last year my clothes went in trunk of car.This year,clothes put in plastic tote and in garage.loaded in truck bed night before or that morning.bow/gun stays locked inside until leave.my scent control isnt the best but im ok with it and seems to work.if i put more effort into it id see bigger bucks???im content to what i have going on^_^

• Like 1

It's funny how we have gotten so meticulous about scent control . I recall when I 1st started gun hunting in 1965 , that I wore blue jeans , a red coat and hat . Didn't do anything special with the clothes . Didn't use tree stands or blinds . A couple time I had to put my cigarette down to shoot a deer . How times have changed !

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nomad said:

This is pretty much how I store my hunting clothes in-between hunts. Take them off toss them down the basement stairs or toss them in a basket in the basement.

• Like 1

pre season I hang most outside for up to a week to get rained on / uvd, then air dry. AFter that I keep either in a closed tote or heavy duty garbage bag. never any scent wafers or the such...to me they are just a mix of chemicals, and though they may smell like " nature" to us, they probably smell like chemicals to the critters. I do cut pine branches and gather leaves from where I hunt to put in the plastic bags I am wearing. Once at camp, what I am actively wearing day to day gets hung outside when dry, in the back well aired back porch at night/otherwise.

I have three large zippered “scent free” bags (Maybe tinks?) that I use. One has all my light/mid weight clothes and stays in the car from 10/1-12/31. And other has my heavy suit in the garage at the ready. The third has extra hunting clothes (small game pants, bird vest, etc). No wafers or scent pads but clothes are washed in scent free soap and then treat with Sawyers prior to the season. After this particularly hit start a freshen up wash is required….but not done! Thanks for the reminder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, fasteddie said:

It's funny how we have gotten so meticulous about scent control . I recall when I 1st started gun hunting in 1965 , that I wore blue jeans , a red coat and hat . Didn't do anything special with the clothes . Didn't use tree stands or blinds . A couple time I had to put my cigarette down to shoot a deer . How times have changed !

I don't know if it's that we have become better hunters (thinking about scent), or whether the advent of social media has driven everyone to post their trophies, or whether passing up younger bucks has created more opportunities on giants, but man there are some big deer taken in NY now. It's like Kansas in the heyday. I don't recall seeing this many huge racks when I was a kid.

I use Remington gasketed bins and an ozone generator off eBay that I run in the bed of my truck with the cap closed for ten minutes a few times a season. But I sometimes get busted when deer are close and downwind. I'm not sure there's any measure of scent control that will routinely prevent that from happening.