Center Point Patriot 425 Question?

New York Hillbilly

@Biz. .  Good question and was one of mine. They told me at the store that it measure 17" plus a little, with the axel to axel width being 15.75 inches. I have not opened the box yet but will check myself. Seems reasonable  to me though. 

My real questions have to do with reliability and overall quality/function issues.

Edited by New York Hillbilly
Computer froze before I could finish my response.

I'll check into it closer then, and if it does not meet the 'hunting" requirement it goes back tomorrow.

I have no reason to own a crossbow I cannot hunt with. lol

Maybe the guy did not know what he was talking about. But, because I read somewhere on this site at one point  where someone said to not  confuse the actual width measurement versus axel to axel measurement, is why I thought they guy made sense when he explained it to me. 

I saw the 17inch thing on the DEC site and will go back and look again. If this has been addressed on here in another thread can you please clue me in where? Thank you!

1 hour ago, New York Hillbilly said:

I'll check into it closer then, and if it does not meet the 'hunting" requirement it goes back tomorrow.

I have no reason to own a crossbow I cannot hunt with. lol

Maybe the guy did not know what he was talking about. But, because I read somewhere on this site at one point  where someone said to not  confuse the actual width measurement versus axel to axel measurement, is why I thought they guy made sense when he explained it to me. 

I saw the 17inch thing on the DEC site and will go back and look again. If this has been addressed on here in another thread can you please clue me in where? Thank you!

Good luck but I dont think Wallyworld will give you a return on crossbow unless under 2 weeks.

As for xbow requirements https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/68802.html

Crossbow Specifications

• A legal crossbow consists of a bow and string, either compound or recurve, that launches a minimum 14-inch bolt or arrow, not including point, mounted upon a stock with a trigger that holds the string and limbs under tension until released.
  • The trigger unit of such crossbow must have a working safety.
  • Minimum limb width: 17 inches (outer tip of limbs, excluding wheels and cams, uncocked)
    • Minimum peak draw weight: 100 pounds
    • Maximum peak draw weight: 200 pounds.
  • Minimum overall length: 24 inches from butt-stock to front of limbs.

So the Patriot and Heat are same xbow - https://www.centerpointarchery.com/product/heat-425-crossbow-with-power-draw

• Equipped with a lightweight, compact Power DrawFor a 70% reduction in draw weight
  • 425 foot-per-second speed and 160 foot-pounds of energy powerShoot with buck-stopping power, speed, and accuracy.
  • 15.75” wide un-cocked or 12” ready to fireCompact enough to travel without slowing you down.

41 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Good luck but I dont think Wallyworld will give you a return on crossbow unless under 2 weeks.

Lucky for me then I have only had it 2 days, and never opened the box. 

My plan was to put it together tomorrow night when I get back to my house (I work out of town), and then shoot and sight it in downstairs at my house. When we built our house 30 years ago I made sure it could accommodate a full 20 year indoor bow range. 

Thanks for the info. It is what I read too, but being brand new to this all I guess I didn't fully understand where things are actually measured even after reading it. 

I'm surprised they bother selling a crossbow that does not meet the requirements, and even more surprised and confused over such a goofy rule to begin with. What the hell difference does it even make if it is 15.75  or 17 other than some  arbitrary number some politician pulled out of their ear (or more likely their lower orifice)? 

Now I need to look and see what is out there that actually meets the limitations. 

Any hoot, thanks again for the insights! Happy hunting! 

spelling error

6 minutes ago, New York Hillbilly said:

Lucky for me then I have only had it 2 days, and never opened the box. 

My plan was to put it together tomorrow night when I get back to my house (I work out of town), and then shoot and sight it in downstairs at my house. When we built our house 30 years ago I made sure it could accommodate a full 20 year indoor bow range. 

Thanks for the info. It is what I read too, but being brand new to this all I guess I didn't fully understand where things are actually measured even after reading it. 

I'm surprised they bother selling a crossbow that does not meet the requirements, and even more surprised and confused over such a goofy rule to begin with. What the hell difference does it even make if it is 15.75  or 17 other than some  arbitrary number some politician pulled out of their ear (or more likely their lower orifice)? 

Now I need to look and see what is out there that actually meets the limitations. 

Any hoot, thanks again for the insights! Happy hunting! 

Most new crossbows sold in NY stores even dont meet the requirements.

Best bang for the buck is Sniper 370 and if you get the trigger mod done on it , just cant beat it. (pun intended)

Edited by suburbanfarmer

5 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Best bang for the buck is Sniper 370 and if you get the trigger mod done on it , just cant beat it. (pun intended)

Been looking for one because it looks like what many here like and are happy with. But cant find one. I do see Cabelas in Utica has a Sniper 390, but not sure if it is same as the 370. 

I'll stop in tomorrow night when I pass through town. 

3 hours ago, New York Hillbilly said:

Been looking for one because it looks like what many here like and are happy with. But cant find one. I do see Cabelas in Utica has a Sniper 390, but not sure if it is same as the 370. 

I'll stop in tomorrow night when I pass through town. 

Hooooolddd on. I recently bought the CP Amped 425, basically the same bow and it's advertised at 15.75 ATA. I put a tap from limb tip to limb tip and it measures 17 inch's exactly. Pretty sure NY specs are tip to tip not ATA.

So with that being said these new CPs are hard to beat. Off a rest I can put arrows into a 4 in circle at 60 yds and have to shoot at different spots on the target at 30 for fear of splitting arrows. They are Chinese made buy what isn't.

Edited by Gobbler Chaser
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

Hooooolddd on. I recently bought the CP Amped 425, basically the same bow and it's advertised at 15.75 ATA. I put a tap from limb tip to limb tip and it measures 17 inch's exactly. Pretty sure NY specs are tip to tip not ATA

Well now it gets even more interesting (confusing..lol) for me! 

I thought I read here on this site where someone put a tape measure on it and got 17". And, that is what the fella at Walmart told me too, that the crossbow actually measures he said "17", plus a little" overall and met the requirement. 

There was another guy (customer) who saw me buying it and just walked up to me and told me it was a "great crossbow", "you will be happy with CP, I bought one like that this year and love it!", and he then walked off. No idea who he was other than obviously being another enthusiastic crossbow person with a fondness for CP. 

That said; GC how do we get a final ruling on this before I needlessly take it back, or we both potentially get pinched by these crossbows?  Metaphorically speaking of course. :  )

Oh...and also, I did read it is measured "tip to tip", at the widest limb spread. So if you are getting 17" as far as I am concerned that does meet the criteria. If you don't mind and have a moment, and not too much to ask, perhaps you can check yours again before I need to take mine out of the box and put it together to check for myself, and before bringing something back needlessly. 

Thank you so much! 

9 hours ago, New York Hillbilly said:

What the hell difference does it even make if it is 15.75  or 17 other than some  arbitrary number some politician pulled out of their ear (or more likely their lower orifice)? 

And this is why the Un-safe act said only 7 bullets were legal.....  

1 hour ago, New York Hillbilly said:

I thought I read here on this site where someone put a tape measure on it and got 17". And, that is what the fella at Walmart told me too, that the crossbow actually measures he said "17", plus a little" overall and met the requirement. 

There was another guy (customer) who saw me buying it and just walked up to me and told me it was a "great crossbow", "you will be happy with CP, I bought one like that this year and love it!", and he then walked off. No idea who he was other than obviously being another enthusiastic crossbow person with a fondness for CP. 

That said; GC how do we get a final ruling on this before I needlessly take it back, or we both potentially get pinched by these crossbows?  Metaphorically speaking of course. :  )

Oh...and also, I did read it is measured "tip to tip", at the widest limb spread. So if you are getting 17" as far as I am concerned that does meet the criteria. If you don't mind and have a moment, and not too much to ask, perhaps you can check yours again before I need to take mine out of the box and put it together to check for myself, and before bringing something back needlessly. 

Thank you so much! 

open the box. the entire limb, pulley and cable section will be one assembled unit. measure it. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 3

My first crossbow was a Barnett Raptor. It was just ok. I bought a CP 370 from a member here three years ago, and love it!! You can't find a better crossbow for the money. 

I think once you measure tip to tip on yours, you will see it measures just a tic past 17 inches.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

Hooooolddd on. I recently bought the CP Amped 425, basically the same bow and it's advertised at 15.75 ATA. I put a tap from limb tip to limb tip and it measures 17 inch's exactly. Pretty sure NY specs are tip to tip not ATA.

So with that being said these new CPs are hard to beat. Off a rest I can put arrows into a 4 in circle at 60 yds and have to shoot at different spots on the target at 30 for fear of splitting arrows. They are Chinese made buy what isn't.

The playing of numbers by vendors sure makes it crazy :( 

https://www.centerpointarchery.com/product/amped-425-crossbow-with-power-draw

8 hours ago, New York Hillbilly said:

Thank you so much! 

I'll take a pic and post it.

8 hours ago, New York Hillbilly said:

Thank you so much! 

Take that sucker out and shoot it

20211105_160535.jpg

20211105_160523.jpg

20211105_160516.jpg

• Like 3

Hey guys! I just got home, opened the box, put the tape to it and low and behold......17"!    :  )

Time to watch the video and assemble. Then I'll head downstairs to do some careful practice. 

I appreciate all the help! 

Good luck to all who head out in the morning. 

NYH

By the way. I was not sure about bolts when I stopped at Cabelas, so I tried to take the safe route and went with those made by CP. They are not lighted knocks, 400 grain, and I went with the NAP Spitfire broad heads because I thought I remembered people on the site speaking well of them. I have always been a fixed broad head guy (Thunderheads), but with no experience with crossbows I am watching, listening, and trying to learn from you all.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, New York Hillbilly said:

Hey guys! I just got home, opened the box, put the tape to it and low and behold......17"!    :  )

Time to watch the video and assemble. Then I'll head downstairs to do some careful practice. 

I appreciate all the help! 

Good luck to all who head out in the morning. 

NYH

By the way. I was not sure about bolts when I stopped at Cabelas, so I tried to take the safe route and went with those made by CP. They are not lighted knocks, 400 grain, and I went with the NAP Spitfire broad heads because I thought I remembered people on the site speaking well of them. I have always been a fixed broad head guy (Thunderheads), but with no experience with crossbows I am watching, listening, and trying to learn from you all.

Make sure after you are done sighting in the scope that you shoot one arrow with the broadhead to make sure they are flying same. 

Usually one has to make a minor adjustment.

Lastly shoot 20-25 arrows to break in the string like a regular bow. 

Good luck

• Like 1

OK here is an update for anyone interested. First; it took me probably 3 times longer than the video guy I watched to assemble it because I was being extremely careful not to screw this up. Once it was together I was pretty confident it was done properly, but with all the horror stories and pictures of stuff gone wrong and people getting accidentally injured, I'll admit to being more than a little nervous . 

So, now I just came upstairs from shooting the new crossbow. 

Holy Crap!!!   Did I ever under estimate what I was dealing with here!

I discovered quickly after several attempts there was no way on earth I could ever cock the thing with the rope. I had strength enough to draw it to me, but I ran out of me! lol.  I don't have the height to close he gap pulling straight on, and not strong enough to pull the rope over my head to make the last 3 or so inches to get it engaged and locked. 

Thankfully it came with the winch type cocking device. It was a little confusing at first, and I am still not easy with the process of getting it off the string once it is cocked, but am a bit less freaked out about it and it beats just putting the crossbow in a corner and walking away.  

Already nervous about putting my hands accidentally in the wrong place and chopping a finger or hand off, the first shot blew my mind! The bolt blew straight though my deer target, through the 4 inch foam board behind that and straight into my block wall! The bolt looks like a cartoon exploding cigar, and the field point and insert are still stuck in the concrete block. 

With only one other bolt downstairs I put my square, yellow 'bee" target between the deer and the foam backing board and that put an end to taking out my house foundation. I got lots of steps in tonight walking back and forth pulling the bolt from the target, but it also gave me time to think in between my shots to figure stuff out, get more familiar, stay careful and calm. 

At 20 yards now I can put the arrow pretty close to the same hole every time I shoot, so at that distance I seem to be dialed in so I called it a night. I'll do more with it tomorrow to get it to 30 -35 yards or so but I plan to make that my distance limit for this year. 

spelling
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, G-Man said:

You need to shorten the cocking  rope is all. its handles should be tight to string when 1st put on to cock it. And string should be tight almost stretching it a bit to get pull rope on. 

Best of luck !

This!!!!^^^^^