What's your guess on weight.

bhunterED

Well it’s very difficult to guess.  But the  ears o the head of the bear are small in nature and located down on the side of the head, indicating an older bear with a head circumference of 20 inches.  A guesstimate of the length from tipof the nose to the tail of the bear to be 6’6” and the width from tip of left paw to top of right paw to be s follows.  The back of the bear appears to be 36 inches in height. Add to this the length of each paw guesstimate 10 inches each = 36 x 2 =72 + 10x2+20, 92 total inches. 

So that would be 6’6” = 80+92= 172 divided by 2 = 86.  Divided by 12= 7.16 

estimate 460 lbs but not an expert with limited experience bear hunting only one killed in my life.  40 + years ago..  will be interested to see what others with more experience hunting and judging weight of bears will submit as their answer.  In fact I just acquired the procedure used to jguess the bear’s weight.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mlammerhirt said:

Holy jesus hope you have a plan in place to get his big arse outta the woods if you shoot him. That sucker is a tank. Good luck and hope we see some hero pics!

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Definitely have thought about that for sure. Actually after the first thought of holy sh!t that's a fat bear was, how would I get it out.

Back in the day, when the NY southern zone gun season opened on a Monday and the PA bear season opened on a Saturday, I would travel to Wellsboro  (Gaines before that) to observe the fun and games at the bear check station. PA bear hunters are required to take their harvested bears to a check station within 24 hours of harvest. There wildlife technicians weigh the bear, pull a tooth for aging, determine the sex of the bear and sometimes do parasite studies. Wardens check hunters license and the determine GPS coordinates of each kill. Some harvest data is posted on a whiteboard so the public can see what has been brought in. Most bears are brought to the check station in the back of a pick-up where they are weighed on a tripod scale in full view of the public. Many people venture guess as to the weigh and most are quite wrong. I have probably observed the weighing of at least a hundred bears over the years, I still can't guess their weight. Smallest bear I observed weighed 28lbs and largest 640 lbs. Most weigh between 100-150lbs. My (bad) guess for the pictured bear would be 350-400lbs. The really big ones stomachs are close to the ground.

Didn't go last year due to the Cuomo-19 virus. No idea what PA has planned for this years check stations.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jmny said:

Well it’s very difficult to guess.  But the  ears o the head of the bear are small in nature and located down on the side of the head, indicating an older bear with a head circumference of 20 inches.  A guesstimate of the length from tipof the nose to the tail of the bear to be 6’6” and the width from tip of left paw to top of right paw to be s follows.  The back of the bear appears to be 36 inches in height. Add to this the length of each paw guesstimate 10 inches each = 36 x 2 =72 + 10x2+20, 92 total inches. 

So that would be 6’6” = 80+92= 172 divided by 2 = 86.  Divided by 12= 7.16 

estimate 460 lbs but not an expert with limited experience bear hunting only one killed in my life.  40 + years ago..  will be interested to see what others with more experience hunting and judging weight of bears will submit as their answer.  In fact I just acquired the procedure used to jguess the bear’s weight.   

Yup what he said .....and I didn't stay in a holiday in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ANTLERS said:

4!! They have to use a rodeo clown to distract them when they bring in the groceries 

Thanks for the laugh man I needed it. But you know what they say about them big girls don't ya. They're like mopeds, fun to ride but you don't want your friends seeing ya.