Good luck to all

Nytracker

• Nytracker changed the title to Good luck to all

My opening day ended early, but not with any meat for the freezer.  It did yield a couple good prospect for that though.  I passed a fork horn about an hour after sunrise from my center woods stand.  I made no attempt to grunt him in , because he was clearly a 1.5 year.  I am looking for a 3.5 for my buck tag , during the first half of the season.  I only saw the near side antler when he passed at 50 yards.

I got a good look long, binocular- assisted look at him, feeding out in a clover plot, when I went into my parents house for lunch.  The plot is straight behind their kitchen table.  He had perfectly matched forks on each side.  

As he was feeding, a button buck (likely the twin to one that I killed during the early antlerless season on the same plot), charged him a couple times, but he drove him off.

The forky fed out there about 30 minutes, went back into the woods, then the button came back out and fed for about 30 minutes. The twin brother was about 60 pounds field dressed in September.  This one looks like he will dress out over 80 right now. 

Currently, my wife is driving us out to our daughters regional playoff field hockey game and I am skipping the afternoon hunt.

Next Friday morning, I hope to be up in my new comfy stand, on the edge of that clover plot.   If all goes well, I will be able to reunite that meated-up button buck with his brother.  That hunt will also mark the half way  point of my archery season. The first 3” spike unicorn will earn my buck tag after that.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, SpacemanSpiff said:

Should be from October,1 on…..

Well, now that I got a taste of using a ML, I'd like an early season for the SZ like the NZ has, which for the record you can use a crossbow during that week up north. So you could start using a crossbow mid October. So you may not have 10/1, but you gain at least two weeks to use it.

1 minute ago, DirtTime said:

Well, now that I got a taste of using a ML, I'd like an early season for the SZ like the NZ has, which for the record you can use a crossbow during that week up north. So you could start using a crossbow mid October. So you may not have 10/1, but you gain at least two weeks to use it.

I would definitely be on board with that. I think the more methods of take the better.