Son and I hit the range with the hunting revolvers

rob-c

Sons shooting 357 Blackhawk with red dot and I’m shooting my  SRH 44 with the Leupold . We shot 50 yards off the rest’s  and man my 44 really like’s the 270 grain deep curls I loaded . I’ve got him shooting 158 grain hard cast Keith style bullets that he’s shooting ok , so I loaded some 158 xtp’s for him to try and they may be a bit more accurate, ill load up some more and we’ll hit the range again before the gun opener.  It was a nice morning to break out the pistols and the range did get a bit busy . Time to shift back into archery mode for this afternoon though . 

38B671CE-B3D2-4AF8-8EFB-99DC75B06E27.jpeg

922CCBF6-8318-411B-93B1-E6D9D06A0C3A.jpeg

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 9

15 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Nice shooting there which target goes to which gun ?

Their both mine. ( he didn’t want me posting his ) he’s getting them all on the target but he’s not grouping well yet , It’s his first year shooting his pistol and he’s still getting used to the recoil from the hot hunting loads. I’ve told him he’s definitely shooting well enough for deer and he just needs more trigger time to get his groups smaller. I did point out to him that  a few of the rifle guys shooting 50 yards had worse groups than him though, that made him feel pretty good , gotta keep his confidence up. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 3

Great shooting! Im toting a .44 mag this year for the first time. I bought a new to me S&W 29-2 in march. Im using Winchester 240 grain soft points. I have been carrying my Smith 19-4 with barns vor-tx 140 all copper hallow points for two years. No kills with the revolvers yet. Hope this is the year. 

BEE07275-8E2C-4A3F-85DB-BD80FBAC7FBF.jpeg

CAE42CB0-CC54-457D-9133-00F4B5097107.jpeg

• Like 3

My first year carrying a revolver I missed 3 deer before connecting  on a 4 pt at 47 yds .  First 3 were under 25 yds .. buck fever no doubt about it. Difference being i had all the time in the world as he was feeding in a logging road food plot broad side . The others were in the woods i didnt have a rest and I was rushing the shot . I kill more deer with the long guns but I get more out of hunting with my revolvers. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nytracker said:

My first year carrying a revolver I missed 3 deer before connecting  on a 4 pt at 47 yds .  First 3 were under 25 yds .. buck fever no doubt about it. Difference being i had all the time in the world as he was feeding in a logging road food plot broad side . The others were in the woods i didnt have a rest and I was rushing the shot . I kill more deer with the long guns but I get more out of hunting with my revolvers. 

He’s got the the 30-30 if he can’t get her done with the 357. But I can see it in him that he really wants to take a deer with his revolver . I can’t tell you how many times he’s said I really like this gun . 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see other handgun hunters. I bought a new (to me) Ruger Super Blackhawk this off season and I am hoping to take one with it. Got it shooting a good group at 50 yards, but I'm still flinchy with those original wood grips and steel back strap shooting hot rounds from Buffalo Bore. c9f576a878ff5914d9fcd7f14188dd53.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Caveman said:

Glad to see other handgun hunters. I bought a new (to me) Ruger Super Blackhawk this off season and I am hoping to take one with it. Got it shooting a good group at 50 yards, but I'm still flinchy with those original wood grips and steel back strap shooting hot rounds from Buffalo Bore. c9f576a878ff5914d9fcd7f14188dd53.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

How about a picture of said Blackhawk . 

• Like 1

Man got to have pics..   I  could never shoot the standard blackhawk in 44 mag . Hate the squared off trigger guard. Drew more blood off my middle finger than it ever did on critters.  Had to put rubber grips on it . Hated that more . Traded it on a super blackhawk  hunter . Rounded trigger guard .  Now its my second favorite  next to my super redhawk 480.

6 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

I am seriously thinking about picking a 10mm S&W revolver.

Any one have experience with that one and what scope would you recommend ?

For a 10 mm I would look at a reflex sight.   Weaver 2 x pistol scope .  4x is a bit much for that caliber. If it was a big boomer I would look for a leupold. 

8 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

10mm good for 50yd or 100yd?

I’m assuming your looking at the 610 ? You should be good to 50 yards . The 10 is closer to a 357 mag in ballistics performance and I’ve had good performance from 357 on deer around those distances. I have 10mm in semi auto and would some day like to do a pig hunt with it . Do some research I think you’ll find some pretty good selection of hunting bullets for the 10 ., especially if you reload. 
Also don’t over look a red dot for your 10 a red dot is great for 50 yards and actually not bad out to 100 either .  

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, rob-c said:

I’m assuming your looking at the 610 ? You should be good to 50 yards . The 10 is closer to a 357 mag in ballistics performance and I’ve had good performance from 357 on deer around those distances. I have 10mm in semi auto and would some day like to do a pig hunt with it . Do some research I think you’ll find some pretty good selection of hunting bullets for the 10 ., especially if you reload. 
Also don’t over look a red dot for your 10 a red dot is great for 50 yards and actually not bad out to 100 either .  

Now that you mention, the option for 1911 or a glock 40 in 10mm is also exciting :)

31 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Now that you mention, the option for 1911 or a glock 40 in 10mm is also exciting :)

I have a Rock island ultra f/s that’s not too bad, but it’s my only semi so I have nothing to compare it to .

I'm actually considering picking up a 10 mm auto with a red dot for hunting. My redhawk 44 is nice but a bit bulky when also carrying my rifle. I've got a security six in 357 also which shoots really well.
Probably as much looking for another excuse to buy a new toy!

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I'm actually considering picking up a 10 mm auto with a red dot for hunting. My redhawk 44 is nice but a bit bulky when also carrying my rifle. I've got a security six in 357 also which shoots really well.
Probably as much looking for another excuse to buy a new toy!

Easy fix leave the rifle at home:derisive:, I know , I know but then you don’t have a excuse to buy the 10 . 

• Like 2

I like the looks of the Glock 10mm long slide with an RMR red dot. It's not going to necessarily replace my rifle, but for up close shots I'd like to have a pistol available. I have pistols now that kind of fit that bill, but it's been awhile since I've bought a new pistol...