How is the Tick situation?

chenango

Just wondering how the tick situation is out there this year? I haven't had a chance to get out with the crossbow yet but I hunt central NY and I heard the ticks were

bad this year. Wondering if the hard frosts lately have knocked them down or not.

I shot a doe for a management program in SENY. They do a tick sample test which consists of pulling ticks for 5 minutes and then using a formula to determine something (!!!). After 5 minutes, we found 0(that’s ZERO!) ticks and this was only about 3 hours after she was walking around.
Knock on wood, I have been tick free in SE. all clothes are treated with permethrin which I swear helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad in Wmu 6c, up on the nw corner of the Adirondack park. I wiped a non-attached tick off the back of my neck a few weeks ago up there.  I was in my truck on the drive back from drooping my early ML doe off at the butchers in Harrisville.

I pinched off it’s head, so that it couldn’t get anybody else (my mother in law was also in the cab).  I learned, back in 2016,  to never bring another deer home whole again from up there.  I found hundreds of them little suckers on one then, while I was skinning it at home in WMU 9F. I have never found a tick on a deer that I killed around home.

After that, any deer I kill up there gets butchered up there (by someone else).  I also always treat my bibs and pants with Sawyers, when I am hunting up there, and so far I have not had any of them little suckers stuck to me.  My father in law (who lives in wmu 6c, had one stuck on him this summer.  

Wow....I guess it is bad out there with all the Tick sightings. I'm in the process of treating all my clothes with the Sawyerspermethrin so hopefully this helps. I hunt zones 7M, 7S and 7P so I want to be prepared. I don't need any more health problems.

7s just did a euro mount for a guy, their was 10 ticks crawling in the garbage bag I used to transport the head to my house. 
yesterdays bear had ticks on it also.

Do you work the phrase “the bear I killed” into every conversation you have…I know I would for at least 1 year!!!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crappyice said:

Do you work the phrase “the bear I killed” into every conversation you have…I know I would for at least 1 year!!!!!!

Lol Im not trying not too, but it is pretty damn exciting. I got stew cooking and that’s all I smell right now! 

• Like 2